Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Possibly apocryphal, but

Site Supporter

Possibly apocryphal, but

Just recently heard of a local 'Smith of renown active in the 70s-80s when the local PD was using mostly revolvers. He would fit parts and match springs and got everything near where he wanted them. Then he would pop off the side plate, fill the frame with toothpaste, and walked around the house for a weekend or two with the blaster in his hand, pulling the trigger a couple thousand times. Detail strip and clean, then return to coppers for cash and rave reviews.

I almost dismissed it as a faerie tale, but for the source, a cop of that Era, and how many people do the $0.25 trigger job with toothpaste, rather than metal polish (Flitz, Brasso, etc.).

I have two metal framed revolvers to try this with, but one is a SAA clone, and the other is an inherited 100+ year old Colt New Service in .41 LC, prolly less effective on on the first, and not willing to risk the second for spare parts reasons, so the payoff will be likely be lower.

Just putting it out there....

pat

Quote Originally Posted by UNM1136 View Post
    Just recently heard of a local 'Smith of renown active in the 70s-80s when the local PD was using mostly revolvers. He would fit parts and match springs and got everything near where he wanted them. Then he would pop off the side plate, fill the frame with toothpaste, and walked around the house for a weekend or two with the blaster in his hand, pulling the trigger a couple thousand times. Detail strip and clean, then return to coppers for cash and rave reviews.

I almost dismissed it as a faerie tale, but for the source, a cop of that Era, and how many people do the $0.25 trigger job with toothpaste, rather than metal polish (Flitz, Brasso, etc.).

I have two metal framed revolvers to try this with, but one is a SAA clone, and the other is an inherited 100+ year old Colt New Service in .41 LC, prolly less effective on on the first, and not willing to risk the second for spare parts reasons, so the payoff will be likely be lower.

pat
    I think toothpastes nowdays are nonabrasive. That said, 2500 (10 micron) grit lapping paste is available. 1000 grit lapping compound it pretty commonly available too, I keep that stuff on hand.
    Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem
    I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude
    -Thomas Jefferson
    I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

pat
    It's not the first time I've heard of using toothpaste as a mild abrasive, but toothpaste in 1970 vs 2023 is probably wildly different in composition. I would not do it in 2023. Whitening, enamel building, etc.

If you don't want to do oil and stones it's probably best to pay someone reputable instead.

Site Supporter
    No disagreement at all. Literally heard the story last week.

Besides, there is always fleabay for surplus 60s-70s-80s toothpaste from some of them southern states....😜 [cue the banjos]

pat

pat
    I have done this with automotive rubbing compound and Taurus revolvers with much success.

Some people lube their 1911's with Mobil 1 motor oil. Makes sense to me. I had a tight 1911 slide freeze up using Tetra gun grease. Temp was about 25°. I don't use it anymore. Probably fine where it never freezes.

We used toothpaste to clean jewelry about 60 years ago. Worked great.
    Last edited by Borderland; 09-27-2023 at 07:39 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    I have done this with automotive rubbing compound and Taurus revolvers with much success.
    Rubbing compound is rubbing compound. As long as you know the grit. You can rub one out. ?

Quote Originally Posted by camel View Post
    Rubbing compound is rubbing compound. As long as you know the grit. You can rub one out. ?
    You need to tell us what grit to use for that. Is that like eating Tide pods?
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    You need to tell us what grit to use for that. Is that like eating Tide pods?
    It doesn’t always work on MiM I’m told. Might be the same process. But it’s effective.

Back in the day Gunslick was the revolver lube that a lot of guys used to slick up their actions.

I've also known guys *including me) who used Simichrome: https://www.happich.de/en/products/simichrome-polish

JB Bore paste would probably also work.

In the olden days I would use gas to clean the Simichrome out, then Hoppes. Today I'd use Brakleen and AeroKroil to clean things up before reassembly.

https://www.crcindustries.com/crc-brakleen/

https://www.kroil.com/product/bundle...e-ks132-mc081/

If your not familiar with Kroil, well, it's magic juice.
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

User Tag List