Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: K9 Sticker on Vehicle as Deterrent

K9 Sticker on Vehicle as Deterrent

I had an idea come to mind, and was wondering if anyone else has thought of this or if perhaps this is just a flat out dumb idea. But I'd be interested to hear opinions.

I was talking with coworkers about gun related stickers on cars, and the debate of whether or not they actually entice people to break in to your car.

That got me thinking about the opposite effect. I was wondering if placing a "Warning: K9 Inside" or something to that effect sticker similar to what you see on police cars would maybe serve as a deterrent to petty thieves in a parking lot.

I get that this wouldn't shield your cars from break ins 100%, but maybe be just enough to get a guy to walk over to the next car parked over?

This probably wouldn't work with every single car either (if you drive a Fiat or Smart car it might not fool anyone).

Any thoughts?

ETA: I don't have any gun related, or anything related stickers on my car. I drive a 4Runner with blacked out windows, and I do have a Maligator. She drives with me often, but not always. I don't see anything illegal about a K9 sticker on a vehicle, but if anyone here knows for a fact that is something that can't be done without getting in trouble I'd like to know.

Imo that doesn't make any sense. No one thinks the average person keeps a dog in their back seat (when parked). Esp in hotter climates that be a dead dog.

Love Maligators
    Last edited by G19Fan; 09-27-2023 at 10:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ChknLivrNWsky View Post
    I had an idea come to mind, and was wondering if anyone else has thought of this or if perhaps this is just a flat out dumb idea. But I'd be interested to hear opinions.

I was talking with coworkers about gun related stickers on cars, and the debate of whether or not they actually entice people to break in to your car.

That got me thinking about the opposite effect. I was wondering if placing a "Warning: K9 Inside" or something to that effect sticker similar to what you see on police cars would maybe serve as a deterrent to petty thieves in a parking lot.

I get that this wouldn't shield your cars from break ins 100%, but maybe be just enough to get a guy to walk over to the next car parked over?

This probably wouldn't work with every single car either (if you drive a Fiat or Smart car it might not fool anyone).

Any thoughts?

ETA: I don't have any gun related, or anything related stickers on my car. I drive a 4Runner with blacked out windows, and I do have a Maligator. She drives with me often, but not always. I don't see anything illegal about a K9 sticker on a vehicle, but if anyone here knows for a fact that is something that can't be done without getting in trouble I'd like to know.
    No dog barking would be a giveaway too

As mentioned in hot weather not a good idea, also if I think like a thief knocking on a fender when I walk by would tell me the dog is dead or there is no dog if I don't hear a bark. I think it also might give the BG a way out "but officer I thought there was a dog in that hot locked up car that's why I broke the window".
    the only plus I can see is if your car was parked in your driveway one might think there is a dog in the house and move on.
    My 2 cents and it didn't cost a dime.

Quote Originally Posted by cracker View Post
    As mentioned in hot weather not a good idea, also if I think like a thief knocking on a fender when I walk by would tell me the dog is dead or there is no dog if I don't hear a bark. I think it also might give the BG a way out "but officer I thought there was a dog in that hot locked up car that's why I broke the window".
    the only plus I can see is if your car was parked in your driveway one might think there is a dog in the house and move on.
    My 2 cents and it didn't cost a dime.
    100% on cover to break in using saving dog as excuse

Thanks guys those are great points, and the breaking the window to rescue the dog was something I didn't think about.

I should have put it in the original post, but the stickers I found say "CAUTION K9 TEMPERATURE CONTROLLED AND MONITORED".

Don't know if that would make any difference.

Site Supporter

Any thoughts?

Illegal ? No. Effective- also No.

Even on a marked LE vehicle the K-9 is in a cage in the rear seat.

Crooks and cops recognize small details which identify one by another - your 4Runner doesn’t look like a cop car to a crook and K-9 vehicles now have emergency cooling systems with visible fans.

Name:  IMG_2951.jpg
Views: 562
Size:  65.2 KB

At best cops and crooks are going to think you are some wanna be police impersonator.

The whole idea is dumb.

Yeah, I’ll put my ballot in the dumb hat.

Beyond all the safety risks already mentioned, dog abductions are a thing. Especially for “exotic” breeds.

The best deterrent for vehicle B&E is parking smartly and not having a buffet of shit visible through the windows.
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

Thanks guys those are great points, and the breaking the window to rescue the dog was something I didn't think about.

I should have put it in the original post, but the stickers I found say "CAUTION K9 TEMPERATURE CONTROLLED AND MONITORED".

Don't know if that would make any difference.
    Probably not as no barking. The popo stickers even feel like the are there for liability.

My friends who are K9 officers have morons approaching the cars all the time even with stickers (to look at dog in cage)

You would be better off with what I occasionally use to cover up something in my vehicle. (Only when I can't put the item/s out of sight in a trunkless vehicle and I have no other choice.)

User Tag List