Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: What EDC flashlight

During “enigma, boardshorts, and flip flops” season it’s usually a Microstream on the body with a Stilleto Pro in the sling bag. Now that it’s getting cooler the Stilleto Pro will be in the pocket constantly.

Another shout out to the Protac 1L-1AA dual-fuel, it’s a great little thing at a good price point.

I do need to throw some money at @NH Shooter.
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    CRI of about 60.

The challenge with high CRI lights is that the tint and power to get high CRI tends to result in low candela. It's a trade-off. About the best you can do is ~750-1200lumens and 30k candela to get 95+ CRI.

What is CRI? And what’s the benefit of a higher number?

Quote Originally Posted by Tannhauser View Post
    Color Rendering Index. The higher the number, the closer the colors you'll see on the illuminated objects by your light source to match some sort of reference light source, which is typically to natural sunlight.

Quote Originally Posted by DamonL View Post
    What are people carrying for an EDC flashlight? I don’t have one and I am looking for ideas.
    In today’s world that’s kind of like saying I need a vehicle to drive with everybody using?

Lights are very specialized with many different features come in many different sizes, and have many different purposes.
    A light that can be used as an every day light with no need for emergencies is vastly different than one that may need to be used for emergencies.

how far do you need to see? What do you need to see?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Tannhauser View Post
    White light is not actually white. It is a blend of a variety of wavelengths of light, with each wavelength being a different color. More colors present in the white light means that more colors will be seen more clearly when illuminated by the light.

Sunlight is the gold standard, with incandescent light being next. Fluorescent light is not as good.

Emitters based on LED’s are actually a blend of red, green, and blue light. They can, however, be tailored for better color rendition, often at a cost of some lumens.
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Quote Originally Posted by rd62 View Post
    I've been carrying a Streamlight ProTac 1L-1AA for years and am very please with its balance of performance, size, and price.
    Same here. I have it backed up by a PT1L.

I'm in the process of getting my agency to issue Macrostreams to the CID personnel. I like the form factor of the new Wedge XT, but it's a lot more coin for equivalent performance with the Macrostream.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Site Supporter
    I supplement my ProTac (i.e. carry in place of when I need something smaller) with a Maratac 1AAA. Not as suitable for use with a handgun (at least with my big hands) but doable in a pinch.

It's another light that for me punches above it's price point.

Surefire E1B Backup.

I have carried it in my pocket every day for the past several years.

Technology has moved on and there are many more HSLD options available than there wete when I purchased this one.

I'm going to upgrade one of these days, but so far this light has done everything I have needed it to do, and it's ALWAYS nearby, wherever I am.

First-gen Cloud Defensive MCH-HC 18650 single-output model for defensive purposes plus a Streamlight MicroStream USB for admin use. If I want a smaller light for defensive use, I switch to a Modlite OKW on a Valhalla Tactical Baldr 18350 body with deep carry clip.

Site Supporter
    For several years, a Streamlight ProTac 2L-X and a Pelican 1920 for an admin-type light.

Recently, I upgraded to a Cloud Defensive 18650 light and snagged one of their "Chicro" admin lights during a sale. The Chicro has been an awesome little light that gets used daily.
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."
    Disclaimer: I have previously worked in the firearms industry as an engineer. Thoughts and opinions expressed here are mine alone and not those of my prior employers.

User Tag List