Thread: Blue Bullets

Blue Bullets

I recently switched to using Blue Bullets. Very consistent, no smoke and no smell. My IDPA load is a 230gr bullet under 4.2grs of Winchester WST for coated, lead or plated bullets. I've always got @745 feet per second but I loaded a batch of 230gr Blue Bullets and got @690 to 710 feet per second, anyone using them and if so, have you noticed them being slower than other coated projectiles?

Quote Originally Posted by Amp View Post
    I recently switched to using Blue Bullets. Very consistent, no smoke and no smell. My IDPA load is a 230gr bullet under 4.2grs of Winchester WST for coated, lead or plated bullets. I've always got @745 feet per second but I loaded a batch of 230gr Blue Bullets and got @690 to 710 feet per second, anyone using them and if so, have you noticed them being slower than other coated projectiles?
    Actually, no. I get a slightly faster velocity out of 125gr RN than from SNS coated. I can't recall about plated because I haven't used them for quite a while.

I did not have great luck with SNS or coated 9mm (Berrys). The lead on both was soft, causing shaving during seating even with a heavy bell. BlueBullets' lead is good and hard. I really like these bullets.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Very odd, I ran them thru 2 different pistols and got similar velocities from both.

Quote Originally Posted by Amp View Post
    Very odd, I ran them thru 2 different pistols and got similar velocities from both.
    .45 is going to be different than 9mm, and barrel type will likely enter into it as well.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Ive always added .02 when loading coated vs lead or others. For .28 Bullseye under a 148 wadcutter I load .30 and seem to get the same accuracy and feel as I dont have a chronograph.

Site Supporter
    Many cast bullet shooters use a Lyman M die type expander which has two sections. One section goes deeper into the case and expands it slightly more than would a regular die. The other section bells case mouth. One result is that the case now exerts less lateral pressure on the lead bullet. Hence risk of deformation is less. An example of deformation is swaging and thus reducing bullet diameter. Historically, die sets have been designed to load jacketed bullets. Cast bullet shooters often size bullets to a larger than nominal diameter. .357 is nominal diameter for 38 Spl. but .358 is a more commonly selected diameter. My revolvers prefer .359. My Marlin lever rifle prefers .360.

Berry's plated bullets require that seating and crimping don't damage the plating. Plastic coated and powder coated bullets too require that the coating not be damaged. Resolving these issues is easy. This is a topic for another post.

Long time Blue Bullet user. Speaking to 9mm, they offer a "special order" sizing of .356 which doesn't actually add cost or time to the order. My guns vastly prefer the .356 over .355 for accuracy. Not sure if they offer size options in other calibers.
    Taking a break from social media.

User Tag List