Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: JCN’s bad ideas. Part 20. G42 edition

JCN’s bad ideas. Part 20. G42 edition

To not derail the mouse gun thread:

I was already thinking of resurrecting the G42.

I had bought a DPP Micro for it months back.

Name:  IMG_4403.jpg
Views: 787
Size:  36.5 KB

Name:  IMG_4404.jpg
Views: 796
Size:  59.8 KB

The thought being that I’ve used Airsoft Glock trainers for my family and nephew.

Some day it might be a good option for my daughter.

I have a G42 from when I started shooting and carrying. An Airsoft version of the gun from that time.

Here they are side by side:

Name:  IMG_4415.jpg
Views: 800
Size:  100.4 KB

At some point I changed the sights on both of them to match.

Name:  IMG_4416.jpg
Views: 782
Size:  27.5 KB

I remembered something funny about the rear sight but I can’t remember what it was.

Looking at it, I might have drilled and pinned the rear sight but I have no recollection of doing so…

Name:  IMG_4417.jpg
Views: 788
Size:  22.3 KB

So theoretically the clamp style dovetail of the DPP Micro might work just fine in a loose dovetail.

I also thanks to @the Schwartz bought a Zev G42 in 32ACP

Name:  IMG_4409.jpg
Views: 791
Size:  28.6 KB

Although it’s yet to be seen if it’s actually lower recoil than the 380 due to the sloped ramp that @Bucky pointed out is used on blank and starter pistol barrels.

If not, @Mike C offered to help me with low recoil 380 loads and I might change the top ramp of the G42 barrel hood to offer less resistance to lower power round.

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    To not derail the mouse gun thread:

I was already thinking of resurrecting the G42.

I had bought a DPP Micro for it months back.

Name:  IMG_4403.jpg
Views: 787
Size:  36.5 KB

Name:  IMG_4404.jpg
Views: 796
Size:  59.8 KB

The thought being that I’ve used Airsoft Glock trainers for my family and nephew.

I have a G42 from when I started shooting and carrying. An Airsoft version of the gun from that time.

Here they are side by side:

Name:  IMG_4415.jpg
Views: 800
Size:  100.4 KB

At some point I changed the sights on both of them to match.

Name:  IMG_4416.jpg
Views: 782
Size:  27.5 KB

I remembered something funny about the rear sight but I can’t remember what it was.

Looking at it, I might have drilled and pinned the rear sight but I have no recollection of doing so…

Name:  IMG_4417.jpg
Views: 788
Size:  22.3 KB

So theoretically the clamp style dovetail of the DPP Micro might work just fine in a loose dovetail.

Although it’s yet to be seen if it’s actually lower recoil than the 380 due to the sloped ramp that @Bucky pointed out is used on blank and starter pistol barrels.

If not, @Mike C offered to help me with low recoil 380 loads and I might change the top ramp of the G42 barrel hood to offer less resistance to lower power round.
    Eagerly awaiting the range report on the Z32. With my wife's hand limitations I've looked those over a few times (they've had 3 on GunBroker forever, now 2 I would guess). Other than the price, magazine availability has held me back. Not sure if a regular G42 magazine would work and, if so, if rimlock and feeding issues would rear their heads with a non-32 designed magazine. Haven't been willing to experiment at the price...
    no one sees what's written on the spine of his own autobiography.

I am much more comfortable with kids shooting long-barreled handguns, like a Ruger 22/45 Lite. By the time my girls were old enough that I thought they could handle a subcompact safely, they were strong enough to handle a Glock 17. Girl #1 now has a Glock 43 which fits her child-size hands.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Half Moon View Post
    Eagerly awaiting the range report on the Z32. With my wife's hand limitations I've looked those over a few times (they've had 3 on GunBroker forever, now 2 I would guess). Other than the price, magazine availability has held me back. Not sure if a regular G42 magazine would work and, if so, if rimlock and feeding issues would rear their heads with a non-32 designed magazine. Haven't been willing to experiment at the price...
    I can do a full report when I get it with any information that would help you and your wife!

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I am much more comfortable with kids shooting long-barreled handguns, like a Ruger 22/45 Lite. By the time my girls were old enough that I thought they could handle a subcompact safely, they were strong enough to handle a Glock 17. Girl #1 now has a Glock 43 which fits her child-size hands.
    My thought was 5 years of super dry fire and Airsoft ninja without any live fire.

Skip rimfire completely (because lead) and scale up in size as her hands grow.

It’s a half baked plan and so far she hasn’t shown much interest except to ask for a unicorn rainbow peew…

I'm perfectly willing to accept a range report detailing how your acquisition performs with whatever FMJ and JHP ammo you decide to feed it in lieu of my customary "finder's fee''.

Is the reduced width of the G42/ZEV slide going to present any issue with fitment of the Leupold micro RDS?

Looks like it might ''overhang'' laterally.
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

Quote Originally Posted by the Schwartz View Post
    I'm perfectly willing to accept a range report detailing how your acquisition performs with whatever FMJ and JHP ammo you decide to feed it in lieu of my customary "finder's fee''.

Is the reduced width of the G42/ZEV slide going to present any issue with fitment of the Leupold micro RDS?

Looks like it might ''overhang'' laterally.
    Yes, I'm interested in a detailed report, as well.

Why are you considering a Leupold micro DPP versus a 507k or other optic you could have direct milled? It doesn't seem like budget is the constraining factor, in this case.

Skip rimfire completely (because lead) and scale up in size as her hands grow.
    I had the same concerns with my kids (now 18 and 15). Most cheap .22 lr is TMJ, since the bullets are copper plated, which is better than the exposed lead bases of FMJ bullets. We practiced safe lead handling (washing hands after firing) and shot outdoors. When we come home from shooting, the kids immediately take showers and their clothes go into the laundry.

The one good thing about the pandemic is that it acclimated my family to wearing masks. I have N95 masks in the range bag for when shooting indoors. I wear one, too, when shooting at indoor ranges outside work. My last blood lead level test came out better than previous years, so it is working.

Quote Originally Posted by john c View Post
    Yes, I'm interested in a detailed report, as well.

Why are you considering a Leupold micro DPP versus a 507k or other optic you could have direct milled? It doesn't seem like budget is the constraining factor, in this case.
    Size, weight and function. I’m not sure how much margin a G42 or Airsoft or Z32 has in energy to spare when limp wristed.

This is a good reversible proof of concept to see what the weight limits are.

Scored another Z32 for $500!!!!!!

@jandbj tipped me onto this one!

Name:  IMG_4424.jpg
Views: 641
Size:  21.9 KB

Name:  IMG_4421.jpg
Views: 641
Size:  30.8 KB

I went to the store and just got $500 of Visa cards to pay the guy.

That’s a heck of a deal!!

Wonder how long it takes to ship a gun from Nigeria?

User Tag List