Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pocket Carry - When you use your BUG as a Primary gun

I'll add some context. Sometimes SS gear gets in the way of pocket access, which necessitates the WS pocket carry.
    It is NOT an ideal location, and it makes for a very deliberate draw, but it is better than not having a 2nd.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    For those guys that carry a small revolver as a BUG in the support side pocket, do you switch to a strong side pocket when the BUG becomes your Rule#1 gun?
    This is not where I thought this was going. I have never carried weak side pocket. But I do carry SS pocket somewhat often. When I read your title I thought of the way I use a SS pocket gun in the winter. If I have a heavy coat on and an AIWB gun is hard to get to I think of the pocket gun as a primary gun and put my hands in my pocket to "keep them warm".

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Les Pepperoni View Post
    I'll add some context. Sometimes SS gear gets in the way of pocket access, which necessitates the WS pocket carry.
    It is NOT an ideal location, and it makes for a very deliberate draw, but it is better than not having a 2nd.
    This is definitely a consideration. When my primary was a G19/509T with a TLR-7, that combo made my SS pocket draw problematic with some pants. I've been carrying X-Macro's sans light for awhile now and have no problems with SS access.

Site Supporter
    I carry my primary AWIB on an Egima, and my BUG is left side AWIB on my belt. Maybe it should be in my pocket?
    --Jason--

M638 strongside pocket in sticky holster

Site Supporter
    Same 642 or 432, strong side pocket. Sometimes a G42 but not so much.
    Cloud Yeller of the Boomer Age

I always carried my J Frame BUG in my front left (off side/weak side) pocket when I worked plain clothes investigations. Now days if/when I carry it as a second gun, I carry it in the same spot. When it is carried as a primary I still do.

I tried switching it over to my strong side, but I found that I was so completely used to drawing and initially firing the J Frame with my left hand (as a right handed shooter) that I should just stick to what I had practiced for so many years. If time and the situation allowed me to switch hands to the right hand, that was fine, but I still carry it and draw from the left hand side and am 100% comfortable doing so.

That method and the old gun are just a natural part of how I do things, so I don't see any reason to change.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    I always carried my J Frame BUG in my front left (off side/weak side) pocket when I worked plain clothes investigations. Now days if/when I carry it as a second gun, I carry it in the same spot. When it is carried as a primary I still do.
    Tell me more about the j-frame setup: grip? cork recoil pad?

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Picante View Post
    Tell me more about the j-frame setup: grip? cork recoil pad?
    I think the lighting is just off on that. It is vet wrap over the Crimson Trace grips. There is also a strip of leather along the backstrap that acts as a shock absorber. Between the two it aids in managing recoil and fills my hand much better than standard grips. Shooting typical loads in a J Frame has never been fun or comfortable, so I looked for ways over the years to find what worked for me, and wrapping the grip and a leather strip has been the final iteration.

It may not be fancy or cool but it works for me.

Site Supporter
    Name:  IMG_1282.jpg
Views: 408
Size:  67.7 KB

My sorta copycat version of LR’s GhettoGrip(tm).

I couldn’t get the leather strip to work for me, but a self-adhesive LimbSaver vibration dampener for a recurve bow did the trick. My sports wrap says it’s for tennis racquets, but it’s basically the same stuff as the hockey stick wrap.

OTOH, I very rarely carry my j on the off side. Usually, if I’m doing that, it’s due to an injury or I decided to carry two airweight Jframes for whatever reason. It is often my one and only, and gets carried strong side. Pepper spray and light are on the off side.

User Tag List