Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Norovirus in a wilderness setting

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    Attachment 109853

As an aside, a lot of older racetracks and autocross events also have the same hygiene issues that ranges have.

My wife was super happy when we got a small RV with running water and our own toilet. I figured it was a safety thing.
    As I had previously mentioned, that does not provide any meaningful removal of live norovirus outside of the mechanical action of using a wet cloth. Antimicrobials using quaternary ammonium compounds do not have any meaningful biocidal effects against norovirus.

[D]isinfectants with active ingredients of alkyl dimethyl benzyl ammonium chloride and/or alkyl dimethyl ethylbenzyl ammonium exhibited the worst efficacies against human noroviruses.

Source: https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...76034114001452

Site Supporter
    Noro virus is really sticky if your hygiene is not corrrect. Kinda like cholera. I got sick off of Norovirus from a church banquet. I wouldn’t want to wish that on anybody.

Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    As I had previously mentioned, that does not provide any meaningful removal of live norovirus outside of the mechanical action of using a wet cloth. Antimicrobials using quaternary ammonium compounds do not have any meaningful biocidal effects against norovirus.

[D]isinfectants with active ingredients of alkyl dimethyl benzyl ammonium chloride and/or alkyl dimethyl ethylbenzyl ammonium exhibited the worst efficacies against human noroviruses.

Source: https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...76034114001452
    Sorry I was trying to link a picture of a bleach wipe. That’s what Google was showing for a picture!

I just know I have some of the real bleachy chlorox wipes in the RV.

This is what we use at work.

Name:  IMG_4400.jpg
Views: 290
Size:  28.5 KB

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sani-Clot...erId=101340107

Those through hikers (esp. ultralight backpackers) sacrifice a lot to save weight. They minimize luxuries like toothpaste, soap, and clothing to save weight. Personal hygiene is the barest minimum.

When I go hunting outside of the US/Canada, I always bring a Grayl Geopress water purifier just in case. They do filter out viruses like norovirus. It is kinda unusual to get that virus out in the open bush, but at a shared cabin and latrine? Yep.

Site Supporter
    So if I go to the outdoor range with its vile porta-potty and also want to get the lead off my hands - what do I take? Lead wipes, I've seen them in classes, there really isn't a sink to scrub up with soap and water. A bottle of Clorox? With a cup for a drink to fight Covid (oops! Haha). A jug of water and soap to wash in the parking lot? The manly men will think I am nuts.

Don't go camping anymore. I prefer luxury. Squatting on a hike in the morning in Oregon - nah. In TX, after a session in the blind, stroll back to the nice barn with upstairs loft and modern conveniences that my good friend built.

Note - if you do go hiking in the boonies (as we did in Oregon) don't make the Vegan in charge of the meals. You are hungry in the evening and carnivorous.
    Cloud Yeller of the Boomer Age

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    So if I go to the outdoor range with its vile porta-potty and also want to get the lead off my hands - what do I take? Lead wipes, I've seen them in classes, there really isn't a sink to scrub up with soap and water. A bottle of Clorox? With a cup for a drink to fight Covid (oops! Haha). A jug of water and soap to wash in the parking lot? The manly men will think I am nuts.
    Be clean but not ridiculous.
    Likelihood is you're fine. Not every portajohn or travel group gets noro - or anything else.
    Your health status and susceptibility matters like with any other potential pathogen exposures.
    Don't use the porta potty unless you have to by rule or by bio need.
    Minimize hand to mouth/face contact.
    Wash hands or use wipes (desc above) prior to eating/drinking/smoking.
    About anything you do toward cleanliness is helpful. Even smudging a bug on your hands with a lead wipe has some impact.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

One thing this thread has caused me to do, is whenever in a public restroom, to wash my hands like I am an interventional cardiologist ready to save lives.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I hike the trails in a nearby state park with my dogs multiple times a week. One of the things I have always noticed are small trees and branches next to steep trails that have the wear from frequent contact from hikers using them as hand holds. I always figured that those frequent touch points had the potential to spread infection.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    One thing this thread has caused me to do, is whenever in a public restroom, to wash my hands like I am an interventional cardiologist ready to save lives.
    For some years now, I've bought this stuff by the gallon and always keep it at hand in smaller containers. I use it both full-strength and diluted as a general purpose hand soap and I've discovered that it makes topical wounds heal much faster, as well.

The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I just had to use a restroom in Starbucks. I practically took a shower.

That other part, you'd be surprised.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

User Tag List