Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Norovirus in a wilderness setting

Norovirus in a wilderness setting

Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Hammertime
    Good article. I was unaware filters didn’t get viruses so it is a good idea to double treat water.

Besides a wilderness setting, the article suggest obvious risks at shooting competitions, and other venues with porta-potties, where there isn't running water and soap.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I see another run on hand sanitizer. I keep a small bottle in my vehicle and use it after I exit any public facility. So does my wife.

I don't fly anymore because of the filtered air that gets recirculated in aircraft cabins. That and all of the surface contact with door handles and everything else people touch.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

There's a NORO outbreak amongst thru-hikers on the Appalachian Trail every year. Poor hygiene coupled with a culture of close contact and sharing food is the recipe that makes it a predictable phenomenon each hiking season.
    The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    I see another run on hand sanitizer. I keep a small bottle in my vehicle and use it after I exit any public facility. So does my wife.

I don't fly anymore because of the filtered air that gets recirculated in aircraft cabins. That and all of the surface contact with door handles and everything else people touch.
    Didn't read the article? Sanitizer often doesn't work for noro... Soap and water does though. I agree about planes, or anywhere else there are a lot of people. I had to attend a conference recently, and I didn't like it much, because: people.

People are gross. Staying clean in the woods is... difficult. Being sick in the backcountry sucks, BTDT.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Glock View Post
    Good article. I was unaware filters didn’t get viruses so it is a good idea to double treat water.
    There are a few that do, such as the MSR Guardian and MiniWorks EX.

Norovirus is a pretty common issue on the Appalachian Trail, not so much on the PCT and CDT, but obviously still a thing as we see here.

Quote Originally Posted by WDR View Post
    Didn't read the article? Sanitizer often doesn't work for noro... Soap and water does though. I agree about planes, or anywhere else there are a lot of people. I had to attend a conference recently, and I didn't like it much, because: people.

People are gross. Staying clean in the woods is... difficult. Being sick in the backcountry sucks, BTDT.
    Me too. I think it was the freeze dried food which was being tested on back country hikers at the time. Some real gut bombs in the early days. I was a lab rat.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    Me too. I think it was the freeze dried food which was being tested on back country hikers at the time. Some real gut bombs in the early days. I was a lab rat.
    I had a bad experience with Mountain House Chili Mac in the middle of the desert, but I don't think it was a test. I think I just picked up a bug before the trip. Nothing like being alone, in January, in the snow, sicker than a dog, 3 hours drive from home.

Oddly enough, I still really like Chili Mac!

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Besides a wilderness setting, the article suggest obvious risks at shooting competitions, and other venues with porta-potties, where there isn't running water and soap.
    Food carts

User Tag List