Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Norovirus in a wilderness setting

Quote Originally Posted by 41magfan View Post
    For some years now, I've bought this stuff by the gallon and always keep it at hand in smaller containers. I use it both full-strength and diluted as a general purpose hand soap and I've discovered that it makes topical wounds heal much faster, as well.
    Hibiclens was recommended to me by a Doctor for wound care. It’s worked really well on dog bites for sure. I didn’t know it came in gallon bottles. Hmmmm
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Quote Originally Posted by Coyotesfan97 View Post
    Hibiclens was recommended to me by a Doctor for wound care. It’s worked really well on dog bites for sure. I didn’t know it came in gallon bottles. Hmmmm
    I purchased a a gallon of this a couple years ago for my dogs. I even use it to wash the tile floor in the room where the dogs hang out.

Directions are 1.0 oz mixed with 1 gal. of water. Lasts for years!

https://www.chewy.com/durvet-chlorhe...xoCiWsQAvD_BwE

Site Supporter
    Poor personal hygiene is the number 1 cause of food borne illness. Norovirus disease is the most common example. Absence of hand washing and/or improper hand washing by an infected person after defecation is the culprit. I make a point not to touch faucets or door knobs in public rest rooms. The norovirus grows in people not food. Hand sanitizer complements using soap and water during hand washing.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    Attachment 109853

As an aside, a lot of older racetracks and autocross events also have the same hygiene issues that ranges have.

My wife was super happy when we got a small RV with running water and our own toilet. I figured it was a safety thing.
    I have a pack of the multi-scent of these from Costco. This product does NOT appear on the list of things that are EPA registered claiming to be good for Norovirus, located here:

https://www.epa.gov/pesticide-regist...rovirus-feline

'99% of household germs' does not include stuff like C-diff and norovirus.The regular Clorox wipes I have don't have bleach in them.

Coming off a 12, more later after a nap.
    'Nobody ever called the fire department because they did something intelligent'

Quote Originally Posted by TQP View Post
    I have a pack of the multi-scent of these from Costco. This product does NOT appear on the list of things that are EPA registered claiming to be good for Norovirus, located here:

https://www.epa.gov/pesticide-regist...rovirus-feline

'99% of household germs' does not include stuff like C-diff and norovirus.The regular Clorox wipes I have don't have bleach in them.

Coming off a 12, more later after a nap.
    Agree, I posted in follow up that I googled a picture of bleach wipes and that’s what I got.

I think my bleach wipes are from Lysol?

That’s what I was trying to link.

Hibiclens / chlorhexidine also not that good for enteric.

These are what we use at work for enteric:

Name:  IMG_4432.jpg
Views: 236
Size:  18.5 KB

Site Supporter
    I'm probably not going to carry a jug of stuff around. Would these wipes be worth it:

Sage 2% Chlorhexidine Gluconate (CHG) Cloths - Each (1 package of 3)

https://www.amazon.com/Sage-Chlorhex...821900&sr=8-42

Expensive but I could see a pack in the car go bag, and the range bag for the vile outhouse.
    Cloud Yeller of the Boomer Age

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    I'm probably not going to carry a jug of stuff around. Would these wipes be worth it:

Sage 2% Chlorhexidine Gluconate (CHG) Cloths - Each (1 package of 3)

https://www.amazon.com/Sage-Chlorhex...821900&sr=8-42

Expensive but I could see a pack in the car go bag, and the range bag for the vile outhouse.
    What are you trying to do with these wipes? If it's just general cleanliness of your hands, sure, they'll work well. If it's for wiping down hard, non-porous surfaces that you might run into before you use them, they're a waste of money, as there are much cheaper wipes with greater efficacy out there. If you're trying to guard against norovirus, too, CHG is generally viewed as having minimal biocidal effects against norovirus.

Not all hand sanitizers are created equal: https://www.frontiersin.org/articles...22.869087/full

Nothing besides bleach beats straight ethanol as a general disinfectant. And even then I prefer ethanol, because it has less chemical reactions with stuff, rapid evaporation times, and the fumes dissipate quickly.

Thru-hiking season is just getting cranked up on the AT and I'm already hearing reports of the NORO.
    The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    “Hamlet focused on a 70-mile stretch of trail south of the Lodge, where ill hikers were coming from. One common rest stop, he learned, was a remote log cabin in the meadows, with a pit latrine and a stream that's used for drinking water.”

Well...duh.
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

User Tag List