Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 20 of 20

Thread: **HACKED ACCOUNTS, READ ME!**

  1. #11
    banana republican blues's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Blue Ridge Mtns
    My wife must've hacked the account.

    Curses!
    There's nothing civil about this war.

  2. #12
    Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    STL
    Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    Woohoo! I'm gonna shitpost all night and tomorrow morning apologize to everyone I offended and claim I was hacked.
    Yeah, the notorious hacker Bud Weiser has got into my account a couple times too.

  3. #13
    Member Chomps's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Location
    S.E. Mich.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    JEEBUZ,.. that’s a LOT of Dicks!! (…I feel dirty somehow!) 🤣

  4. #14
    Site Supporter MGW's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Kansas
    Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    Man, I almost got hit with a scam that advertised itself as the US postal service....freakiest thing was that when I clicked the link, the website looked very much like the USPS website.

    These scams are becoming more and more sophisticated and while I'm not much of a boomer, it was surprising how close I came to being had.

    Careful out there folks.
    Never click the link. Always go to the website directly through your browser of choice.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

  5. #15
    This isn't a PF-specific thing, folks. Another reason why Buy/Sell/Trade is limited to Site Supporters only.
    #RESIST

  6. #16
    Member eb07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    AZ High Desert
    Scammers/hackers are scum...

    Use strong passwords. 16 characters or more. Passphrases are best. Use 5 –7 random words. Ass complexity ( upper, lower case letters, numbers, symbols)

    Don't use the same password for different sites

    Don't click on suspicious links and or enter any information (and if you do and realize your error -- simply change your password immediately)

    If a site offers two factor authentication, use it


    Hope you hunt them down and terminate them from the site.

  7. #17
    Supporting Business Sig_Fiend's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Texas
    Quote Originally Posted by eb07 View Post
    Scammers/hackers are scum...

    Use strong passwords. 16 characters or more. Passphrases are best. Use 5-7 random words. Ass complexity ( upper, lower case letters, numbers, symbols)

    Don't use the same password for different sites

    Don't click on suspicious links and or enter any information (and if you do and realize your error -- simply change your password immediately)

    If a site offers two factor authentication, use it


    Hope you hunt them down and terminate them from the site.
    Even better, get a good password manager and generate passwords that are ~40-80+ characters. Use math to your advantage so it's mathematically impossible for a hacker to run something as simple as a dictionary attack and be successful. Honestly, for most passwords for things like forum accounts, there's almost no reason people should be creating their own password vs. generating one.
    Administrator for PatRogers.org

  8. #18
    Site Supporter
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Fort Worth, TX
    Quote Originally Posted by Sig_Fiend View Post
    Even better, get a good password manager and generate passwords that are ~40-80+ characters. Use math to your advantage so it's mathematically impossible for a hacker to run something as simple as a dictionary attack and be successful. Honestly, for most passwords for things like forum accounts, there's almost no reason people should be creating their own password vs. generating one.
    It took me a few months to fully transition to using a password manager.... several hours up front, then onesy twosey over time.... Now it's the occasional annoyance about the app needing authentication exactly when I need to use it for something time sensitive...

    I won't BS you and say it isn't a bit of a hassle sometimes, but, I do worry less about my passwords getting cracked or sold on the dark web. I don't think I have any passwords remaining that are less than 12 characters and none that are used in more than 1 place.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

  9. #19
    Member eb07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    AZ High Desert
    Quote Originally Posted by Sig_Fiend View Post
    Even better, get a good password manager and generate passwords that are ~40-80+ characters. Use math to your advantage so it's mathematically impossible for a hacker to run something as simple as a dictionary attack and be successful. Honestly, for most passwords for things like forum accounts, there's almost no reason people should be creating their own password vs. generating one.
    Make sure you research your password managers. I don't like cloud based ones. Last Pass was breached in 2022 through an employee account and passwords were obtained, then they go right into the dictionary crackers for all hackers to use.

  10. #20
    Supporting Business Sig_Fiend's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Texas
    Quote Originally Posted by eb07 View Post
    Make sure you research your password managers. I don't like cloud based ones. Last Pass was breached in 2022 through an employee account and passwords were obtained, then they go right into the dictionary crackers for all hackers to use.
    Definitely. That's why, for those that can deal with the minor inconvenience, I usually recommend something like the one I linked; KeePass. Something local-only, encrypted, and usable entirely offline. The database is a single, encrypted, file that can even be stored on a USB stick, your phone, a 3.5" floppy disk , or whatever.

    There are mobile apps for KeePass too, even including on alternative Android app stores like F-Droid. Yes, there's the inconvenience of using the app, and copy/pasting the username/password from the app into whatever site/app you are attempting to access. That's still a heck of a lot better than having an account hacked due to an overemphasis on wanting maximum convenience. Just my opinion.
    Administrator for PatRogers.org

User Tag List

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •