Page 13 of 22 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: My mouse gun journey.

Site Supporter
    As suggestions are made in this thread, please keep in mind that the OP is working out how to best keep carrying and shooting while dealing with arthritis in his hands.
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Good news and bad news.

Good: after three trying days I crack the handload code. I have everything adjusted and calibrated and the Lee Auto Drum Powder Measure is working like a champ. Big thanks on that advice. I've separated the brass that works and tossed the stuff that doesn't. The loads shoot well. Accuracy is excellent and the casings eject with good authority. The slide no longer bites, thanks to my minor gunsmithing, even while working fast from the holster. My arthritis is also much relieved. At this point I'm feeling quite satisfied and stylish. Then........

Bad:

Name:  20230930_133641.jpg
Views: 423
Size:  33.5 KB

Right at the end of the session, the safety/decocker breaks in half. Well, fuck me.

I've ordered a replacement, but at this point I think I've had enough of making this a carry gun. Once I get it back online it will simply be a recreational shooter and a failed experiment. It's too bad as I was really starting to like it. I'd chosen it because it was what I had in the safe. In trying to avoid spending money I wound up wasting some, in trying to make a 60+ year old gun into a carry weapon.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    In trying to avoid spending money I wound up wasting some
    But was the education you received really wasted money?

If you'd gone out and bought something like a Jennings or Davis .32 for this journey then I'd say you had been penny wise and pound foolish. In this case you took something from the safe, worked out a suitable load and added to your leather collection. I'd say you met the challenge and succeeded only to have 60+ year old metallurgy let you down.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    But was the education you received really wasted money?

If you'd gone out and bought something like a Jennings or Davis .32 for this journey then I'd say you had been penny wise and pound foolish. In this case you took something from the safe, worked out a suitable load and added to your leather collection. I'd say you met the challenge and succeeded only to have 60+ year old metallurgy let you down.
    Yeah, let's go with that.

I've done some research on this and apparently it's an issue regardless of vintage. There isn't a lot of metal holding the two drum halves together. If the decocker function is used enough, apparently this is a common occurrence. The only way to avoid it is to lower the jhammer by hand.

Yeah, let's go with that.

I've done some research on this and apparently it's an issue regardless of vintage. There isn't a lot of metal holding the two drum halves together. If the decocker function is used enough, apparently this is a common occurrence. The only way to avoid it is to lower the jhammer by hand.
    Order two levers. Despite the known failure point, it is the best version of all the iterations of that design, and worthy of being kept running.
    Last edited by Lex Luthier; 09-30-2023 at 08:26 PM.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

Quote Originally Posted by Lex Luthier View Post
    Order two levers. Despite the known failure point, it is the best version of all the iterations of that design, and worthy of being kept running.
    Already done. My personal policy on parts has always been to order at least two of anything.

@Trooper224 I missed it in the mega thread but you have shot a Glock 42, right?

I hadn't shot mine in a while and was pleasantly surprised by how mild it felt. Tilting barrel rather than blowback.

The Kimber Micro 380 is super soft shooting too.

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    @Trooper224 I missed it in the mega thread but you have shot a Glock 42, right?

I hadn't shot mine in a while and was pleasantly surprised by how mild it felt. Tilting barrel rather than blowback.

The Kimber Micro 380 is super soft shooting too.
    Yes, I've shot the Glock 42. It was right after they came out. I don't recall any negative effects. But, guns that weren't a problem four or five years ago now are. I'm going to have to rent a few things, hit some friends up and spend some time experimenting.

I don't do Kimber anything.

Thanks.

Already done. My personal policy on parts has always been to order at least two of anything.
    Two is one, one is none.

Yes, I've shot the Glock 42. It was right after they came out. I don't recall any negative effects. But, guns that weren't a problem four or five years ago now are. I'm going to have to rent a few things, hit some friends up and spend some time experimenting.

I don't do Kimber anything.

Thanks.
    Well, the Sig version of that is the P238.

User Tag List