Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What's the good outer shell (waterproof jacket) to get nowadays?

What's the good outer shell (waterproof jacket) to get nowadays?

Dead Bird?
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Dead Bird?
    Yes. The AR Beta is my fav all around Arcteryx hard shell. If you want camo or quieter, Kuiu and Sitka have options but I don't believe they function as a hard shell as well at Arcteryx. For their mil/le line, Arcteryx recently charges about double their regular line, and I don't find the value there unless you are wedded to the color crocodile.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Following with interest. I need a new summer-weight water-proof/resistant jacket. I discovered unexpectedly that my current one is no longer waterproof.
    "The victor is not victorious if the vanquished does not consider himself so."
    ― Ennius

Price range? Intended use? Any special features you need?

As a starting point, some brands I would look at:
    • Arc'teryx
    • BERINGIA
    • Beyond
    • Black Diamond
    • Forgeline Solutions (duty oriented only)
    • Helly Hansen
    • KUIU
    • Mammut
    • Mountain Hardwear
    • Mountain Equipment
    • Norrøna
    • Ortovox
    • Otte Gear (duty oriented only)
    • Outdoor Research
    • Patagonia
    • Rab
    • Sitka
    • Stio
    • Wild Things Gear (duty oriented only)
    Last edited by Default.mp3; 09-22-2023 at 10:48 AM.

Site Supporter
    I've been happy with my Beyond goretex jacket and pants.

Looking also. I just lost my Cabela's Gore Tex jacket in Maine. It was old, cheap and needing replacement. Earlier in the week I snooped around in a local REI. I definitely gravitated toward the Arc'Terx line. Their selection was minimal and I wasn't ready to purchase on looksie #1.

Site Supporter
    The Dirty Bird is the easy button. With some luck and a sharp pencil- 20% off reail is possible. Note they are owned by a PRC conglomerate if that is a thing for you. They are very transparent re country of origin for a given garment.
    https://arcteryx.com/us/en/shop/mens...caAsNREALw_wcB

Patagonia and Outdoor Research are solid and can often be had at 33% plus off.

Beyond, Otte, and Kuiu are tactical/hunting brands that will likely serve you well.

Here is the latest from Outdoor Gear Labs which is a solid starting point.
    https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/topic...field=#compare
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

I use Kuiu and First Lite jackets.

Both have proven very durable and breathe during exertion in a downpour, and compress for stuffing in a Daypak/Backpak

Site Supporter
    Top brand if looking for a primary.

I’d getting something rubber and cheap for a back-up or outdoor physical labor/firewood cutting.

My default these days is REI generic brand. Good enough for most things, not a tragedy if something happens to it.

Site Supporter
    I have one from Kuhl that I like and kept me pretty dry and comfortable as an outer layer during a trip to in Iceland in March a few years ago and another from Patagonia that stuffs into it's own pocket and is easy to stick in a backpack just in case. I like them both. I tend to like Kuhl's products better because they fit me well and I like the look but both have been great. Caveat: I'm not a hard user by any stretch of the imagination.

User Tag List