Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What's the good outer shell (waterproof jacket) to get nowadays?

I am wearing a Prometheus Design Werx Defiant; sewn in the USA, but made from Swiss textiles (so not technically Made in USA). Literally the finest jacket I have ever owned. It's not Gore-tex hard shell waterproof, but no issues getting soaked when living in PNW winter. It's also not Gore-tex hot as hell either. Alone it works great from 50-75-degrees, including in the rain. Layering underneath, I had it on down to ~12-degrees this past winter and all day comfort in the 20s and 30s. It won't do the job when it's 0 with a 25mph wind, but no shell will.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    I am wearing a Prometheus Design Werx Defiant; sewn in the USA, but made from Swiss textiles (so not technically Made in USA). Literally the finest jacket I have ever owned. It's not Gore-tex hard shell waterproof, but no issues getting soaked when living in PNW winter. It's also not Gore-tex hot as hell either. Alone it works great from 50-75-degrees, including in the rain. Layering underneath, I had it on down to ~12-degrees this past winter and all day comfort in the 20s and 30s. It won't do the job when it's 0 with a 25mph wind, but no shell will.
    Amazing coincidence you just posted that. I've been wanting to try one of those but have a hard time dumping my TAD Stealth hoodie. Would you consider that more rain shell or soft shell? The TAD is my winter jacket, I certainly wouldn't wear it in warmer temps than low 50s.
    To the OP's question, I've been very happy with my Helly Hansen Odin 9 Worlds Infinity jacket. I got a prior season's for about 40% off MSRP. Fantastic hood, yuuuge pockets, lots of great details. The only unfortunate thing is the big HH logo that the alt right might misconstrue.

Quote Originally Posted by DMCutter View Post
    Amazing coincidence you just posted that. I've been wanting to try one of those but have a hard time dumping my TAD Stealth hoodie. Would you consider that more rain shell or soft shell? The TAD is my winter jacket, I certainly wouldn't wear it in warmer temps than low 50s.
    To the OP's question, I've been very happy with my Helly Hansen Odin 9 Worlds Infinity jacket. I got a prior season's for about 40% off MSRP. Fantastic hood, yuuuge pockets, lots of great details. The only unfortunate thing is the big HH logo that the alt right might misconstrue.
    Soft shell.

Though the Schoeller materials used in it are superior in virtually all ways to my old TAD Stealth. Meaning it does much better in rain/damp than the older stuff. Caveat, my last TAD hoodie purchase was ~2007 and that hoodie did serve me well until ~2021.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Meaning it does much better in rain/damp than the older stuff. Caveat, my last TAD hoodie purchase was ~2007 and that hoodie did serve me well until ~2021.
    Have you used any water repellency refreshening wash?

I'll note that softshells and hardshells serve very different roles, and are not really comparable, even if can be some overlap in use case. Which one is more appropriate will depend on the use case, though typically a softshell is much more versatile, while hardshells are much more specialized pieces. That being said, when you need a hardshell, you fucking need a hardshell.

The hybrids like the Defiant, softshells with a waterproof membrane, I honestly see as being pretty weird animals that kinda don't do anything well, at least for my needs. The membrane typically defeats the high breathability advantage of softshells, so... why not just use a hardshell at that point? Plus, the outer softshell fabric will generally wet out faster than a hardshell fabric. Dunno, just not really my philosophy.
    Last edited by Default.mp3; 09-23-2023 at 12:32 AM.

I just bought a First Lite Omen I'm pretty happy with, but the caveat is we haven't moved into full-on PNW wet weather yet.

They have a 20% veteran discount, so there's that.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    Have you used any water repellency refreshening wash?

I'll note that softshells and hardshells serve very different roles, and are not really comparable, even if can be some overlap in use case. Which one is more appropriate will depend on the use case, though typically a softshell is much more versatile, while hardshells are much more specialized pieces. That being said, when you need a hardshell, you fucking need a hardshell.

The hybrids like the Defiant, softshells with a waterproof membrane, I honestly see as being pretty weird animals that kinda don't do anything well, at least for my needs. The membrane typically defeats the high breathability advantage of softshells, so... why not just use a hardshell at that point? Plus, the outer softshell fabric will generally wet out faster than a hardshell fabric. Dunno, just not really my philosophy.
    Yes, I tried the wash with the TAD jacket and it just didn't bring much back. I ended up giving it away after buying the Defiant.

The Defiant has the Schoeller C-change membrane, which they say "acts like a pinecone" and opens up with and closes down with temperature. I dunno jack about that, but it is extremely breathable, aided by pit zips for additional ventilation it is by far the most comfortable shell type jacket I have worn, hard or soft. But its forte is forays in urban/suburban areas and light outdoors stuff. It is NOT the jacket I would pick for serious mountaineering.

I concur if you need a hardshell you NEED a hardshell.

Site Supporter
    I've been very happy with First Lite gear but most/all I seen overseas.

I have a Forloh rain shell and it is USA made and they are out of Whitefish, MT if I recall correctly. The Forloh jacket has impressed.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Yes. The AR Beta is my fav all around Arcteryx hard shell. If you want camo or quieter, Kuiu and Sitka have options but I don't believe they function as a hard shell as well at Arcteryx. For their mil/le line, Arcteryx recently charges about double their regular line, and I don't find the value there unless you are wedded to the color crocodile.
    Dittos on the AR Beta. Great for layering in changing temps etc.

I was in Costco last night to pickup eggs and milk on the way home from work. I spotted this shell and couldn't resist giving it a try. For $100 as a backup rain jacket I figured I give it a try.

https://www.kingscamo.com/products/x...-rain-jacket-4

I think it runs small. I usually wear a XL in a shell to have room for a fleece or more. This felt like the room wasn't there. I found a fleece jacket and tried the shell over it. Nope I had trouble getting my arm down the sleeve and quit right there. I brought a 2XL home to try.

Name:  IMG_5010.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  23.6 KB
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List