Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: WSJ: Private Equity and the AR15

Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Gifted article link, from me to you folks, hope it works.

20M guns is a lot for an ambitious dem/lefty to aspire to confiscate and destroy. I would never have predicted the degree of the widspread ownership of the black rifle. The observations of what drove sales is probably spot on.

Things are a lot different than when Klinton got the original AWB in place in 1994. At the time I owned a pair of Colts and did compete with the free float heavy 20" barrel version in High Power. The advent of the 68gr Sierra made 600 yard accuracy possible finally. But I could count the number of other AR-15 owners I knew personally on one hand. High Power was dominated by M1A's until almost the turn of the century.
    Last edited by fatdog; 09-22-2023 at 08:27 AM.
    Support the Second Amendment Foundation and the Firearms Policy Coalition, join and give!

Site Supporter
    Interesting article. I do find the picture of Trump as an AR supporter a touch disingenuous as those who follow his views and statements know that he is not a real fan. Only mouths the words for vote. We've discussed him before.
    Cloud Yeller of the Boomer Age

Quote Originally Posted by fatdog View Post
    ...20M guns is a lot for an ambitious dem/lefty to aspire to confiscate and destroy. ....
    An an arrow in the quiver of the "in common use" argument/standard - squarely within the bounds of Second Amendment protection (i.e. NOT an unusual weapon, but rather, commonplace).

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    It doesn’t matter to the left. No Amendment matters to them. Why should private property be any different?
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    Funny that the article is mostly about Bushmaster, who we were just (trash)talking about in another thread. It did show this pic from the 1995 NRA Convention, which looks exactly like my first AR (although mine was an RRA). Proves my point that, whether Bushmaster was any good or not, there weren't a lot of other options besides DPMS, RRA (which wasn't well known until they got a DEA contract) and Colt.

Name:  Screenshot 2023-09-22 084512.jpg
Views: 780
Size:  64.1 KB

Although I'm not really sure what the article's point is, other than some interesting history. And it just stopped at Sandy Hook. Although it did say it's an excerpt from an upcoming book, so maybe they'll address the rise of Aero, PSA and the high end boutique market.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth_Uno View Post
    And it just stopped at Sandy Hook.
    That was my question too. Omitting Remington's discontinuation of Bushmaster and Remington's own bankruptcy seems rather strange.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Site Supporter
    The AR situation is complex. The common usage vs. being a WMD and something fit only for the military or police will depend on who is on the Supreme Court. A switch in majority views and bans will be constitutional. The slow pace of Scotus dealing with such isn't helping, if they actually have an anti-Ban majority. That's not clear.
    Cloud Yeller of the Boomer Age

Quote Originally Posted by Darth_Uno View Post

Although I'm not really sure what the article's point is, other than some interesting history. And it just stopped at Sandy Hook. Although it did say it's an excerpt from an upcoming book, so maybe they'll address the rise of Aero, PSA and the high end boutique market.
    Once upon a time it was standard practice to write articles with the "point" being to just inform the reader of an event or history.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    The AR situation is complex. The common usage vs. being a WMD and something fit only for the military or police will depend on who is on the Supreme Court. A switch in majority views and bans will be constitutional. The slow pace of Scotus dealing with such isn't helping, if they actually have an anti-Ban majority. That's not clear.
    Actually, I think the situation is pretty straightforward. The 2nd Amendment is all about weapons fit for military use. Only those who wish to remove them from the hands of citizens are unclear on this. (Glenn, I understand that you are a super smart guy and are speaking more to the current political/legal aspect of this issue. Any complexity is generated by gun grabbers who wish to dazzle the uninformed with bullshit. I don't think you are wrong about the political situation though.)

The one thing I continue to ponder and ruminate on is, what is the end game for those who wish to remove firearms from private ownership and have us all driving EV's powered by the sun and wind, while we snack on crickets (and yes I believe all this bullshit is part and parcel of the same ideology). Really, what are they trying to drive towards? I don't have an answer (because I just want to be left alone to live my little life) - but I know this doesn't end well for us if they get their way.
    All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.
    No one is coming. It is up to us.

User Tag List