Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: J Frame Sight Options

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    The easy button for a J-frame with good sights is a 640 Pro. I can’t say I can hit an 8” plate at 50 yards every time, but I do it often enough it’s not happenstance.
    Yes !

S&W should do a lightweight J frame with 640 Pro sights.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    Here's something else to think about. I've never used them but I find the ideas intriguing.

https://www.dlsports.com/dl_jframe_sw_sights.html

Okie John
    Those are the sights on the 640 JCN posted. They're great.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 1slow View Post
    Yes !

S&W should do a lightweight J frame with 640 Pro sights.
    And chamber it in .32 H&R.

Here's a big dot and a standard dot on J-Frames. I prefer the standard dot because it fits down in the rear notch while the big dot doesn't give a good sight picture because it has to ride above the notch.

Name:  IMG_9800.jpg
Views: 279
Size:  37.1 KB

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by BN View Post
    Here's a big dot and a standard dot on J-Frames. I prefer the standard dot because it fits down in the rear notch while the big dot doesn't give a good sight picture because it has to ride above the notch.
    I found the same to be true- when the sight radius is short-coupled, the rear notch is frequently problematic with the big dot.

Where I found the big dot more useful was on longer-barreled items, leading me to conclude that they may be too much of a good thing on a pocket gun.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

Quote Originally Posted by gato naranja View Post
    I found the same to be true- when the sight radius is short-coupled, the rear notch is frequently problematic with the big dot.

Where I found the big dot more useful was on longer-barreled items, leading me to conclude that they may be too much of a good thing on a pocket gun.
    Concur. The XS Standard dot is still pretty big compared to most sights that have a dot in them.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by gato naranja View Post
    FTA: it is a day late and a dollar short, but I will add that of all the big dots I have installed over the years, the ones that actually worked out better than I expected were on 6" - 8" revolvers and shotguns.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

Site Supporter
    This is how a now retired gunsmith friend fixed the front sight problem for me on my 642-1.

Name:  fullsizeoutput_30b.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  61.9 KB Name:  fullsizeoutput_309.jpeg
Views: 133
Size:  58.9 KB

That's an XS Standard Front, dovetailed into the original S&W ramp.

Dave

User Tag List