Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which LCP?

Which LCP?

I want a 380 ACP Ruger LCP to carry in my front jeans pocket or the front pocket of a pair of basketball shorts when I'm lounging around the house.

I find the P365 too big, blocky and heavy. I'm looking for a gun to wear when I wouldn't otherwise have a gun and one specifically that is flatter than my normal J-frame (and not any heavier). I already own a Glock 42 and find it slightly too long for the task.

It seems like the original LCP is the flattest and lightest. Part of me thinks I should just buy one and add the MCarbo trigger and other parts to it. Part of me says the LCP Max may be small enough.

Which LCP should I buy?

- Original LCP
    - LCP II
    - LCP Max

I've had an LCP and an LCP2. I carry the LCP2 daily in my pocket.
    I prefer the slightly better sights and the pseudo LEM trigger of the LCP2. I considered a Max, but for my pants pockets it was just a leetle too big, although it's very, very close.
    The much improved Max sights seemed to be the issue and produced a slight tendency to snag the mouth of a pocket on a less than perfect draw.
    Of which I have many.

KelTec P32 is your answer.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by KevH View Post
    I want a 380 ACP Ruger LCP to carry in my front jeans pocket or the front pocket of a pair of basketball shorts when I'm lounging around the house.

I find the P365 too big, blocky and heavy. I'm looking for a gun to wear when I wouldn't otherwise have a gun and one specifically that is flatter than my normal J-frame (and not any heavier). I already own a Glock 42 and find it slightly too long for the task.

It seems like the original LCP is the flattest and lightest. Part of me thinks I should just buy one and add the MCarbo trigger and other parts to it. Part of me says the LCP Max may be small enough.

Which LCP should I buy?

- Original LCP
    - LCP II
    - LCP Max
    I really like my LCP custom. It's the original, just with better sights and I'm told a slightly better trigger.

Downside is that the finish rusts too easily for my liking and the little rear sight does sometime get loose as a result of the snappiness of the recoil. Neither are dealbreakers for me however.

I vote for the Original Original LCP with its longer trigger stroke than the current revision.

Even amongst the original LCP, there is some variation. Between these, notice the hammer position and the sights. The left one is a 2011, the right is a 2016. Both of these have the short extractor, while some have a much longer extractor. The 2016 trigger breaks much farther forward and has a "sproing" at break. It doesn't seem to affect accuracy for me but recovery is certainly different, and most noticed in dry fire. The left one breaks deeper into the palm and makes 2 handed shooting difficult as the trigger finger contacts the support hand. For me, SHO shooting is not an issue as I can place rounds in the B8 black at 25yds. The left has a much tighter (preferred) sight picture. Of note, when checking serial numbers on Ruger's website, they show a stock image and likely doesn't represent the actual gun with it's particular sights and extractor.

Name:  20230831_153805.jpg
Views: 334
Size:  19.0 KB
    Taking a break from social media.

I also have the original LCP Custom ,much better trigger and I like real sights although they tend to wear holes in my pockets over time . I prefer its long DA pull to the newer models for pocket carry .
    I do wish it was a 32 Acp though...

I like my Gen2 LCP 1. With the Wolff heavy recoil spring it's been very reliable.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Tagging in because same wants.

My issue is drawing from pockets is sketchy and that's giving the description a shit ton of leeway. I just recently tried with a G42 in an Alabama holster in place of my J frame 642. Drawing still sucks. Even worse. My hand when gripping the gun doesn't want to come out of the pocket at all in some pockets. I have to "L palm" the grip to clear and that's just to get it to come out at all. It is in no way fast, so I guess I'm in the ham fisted club. Seeing the DB sub second J frame draw makes me want to consider hand surgery or something.

1) 5.11 pants and shorts: Just forget about pocket carry. 5 second jerking around draws with these.

2) Duluth Firehose pants (flex or regular): Ever so slightly better than 5.11, maybe 4 seconds.

3) Duluth Flex Jeans: No issues at all except for the opposite. Have to be careful that the holster doesn't come out with the gun. Gotta draw correctly EVERY TIME.

The issue is the angle of the pocket opening, not necessarily the size of the opening. Considering finding a shop to alter clothing and see what they can do, if anything. A LCP may be cheaper and a certainly easier fix.

Having cut my teeth on DA revolvers, I MUCH prefer the longer trigger pull on the Original (Gen 2) LCP. The improved sights make the little gun quite shootable out to 15 yds or so and there are no sharp edges to complicate drawing from the pocket. It's the perfect pocket pistol IMO and they're more capable than a 9 oz .380 pistol ought to be.

Dot Torture
    5 yds
    50/50

The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

User Tag List