Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 1301 heat shield options?

Quote Originally Posted by SteveL View Post
    Keying in on the red part, could you share your observations on which generations are more/less affected by this problem?
    That was meant to convey that there's a difference between the older gens with the short mag tube and the extension, and the current gen with the full-length one-piece mag tube and a screw-on cover. Both the cover and the cap/extension do the same thing, i.e. screw the handguard on (regardless of what handguard that might be).

Matt Haught
    SYMTAC Consulting LLC
    https://sym-tac.com

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    I've been running the Briley rail on my #1 1301 for a couple of years now.

#1 is a Gen1 1301 with the normal magazine tube. I have a Nordic +2 extension on the gun.

Name:  13011.jpg
Views: 483
Size:  101.7 KB

The Briley does a magnificent job of keeping your hands away from the barrel when it's hot. This is especially useful if you are doing short-stocking demonstrations, which I almost always do with an 870 anyway. So there's that.

It is held on only by the magazine tube extension. If I was buying a 1301 today, I'd prefer to buy the normal length mag tube and add the Nordic extension just because of how reliably it stays in place. Once the Nordic tube is tightened down, it stays tight until you decide to take it off. All it requires is normal finger pressure to do both. It stays tight even after a full day's worth of shooting full powered shells. It is a truly splendid piece of equipment. All my magazine tube extensions are either Nordic, Wilson, or Vang Comp because I have found all of them do a splendid job of staying tight while shooting, which is immensely helpful in keeping guns from breaking.

I haven't seen anyone using the Briley on the new extended mag tube models to see how the plastic cap fares. But I can believe it wouldn't be as trouble-free an experience as the Nordic extension.

When I bought the Briley it was $200 bucks. I saw it show up on their site on December of 2020 and I thought I had some instructor revenue I could burn (better that it be used on necessary equipment than taxes) so I bought it.

It is fantastic for mounting an X300 at exactly the spot I want it. When combined with a section of rail from Arisaka Defense, it keeps the light nice and tight into the overall profile of the gun.

It was a stupid expensive way to mount an X300 at $200. It is a lot more stupid at $335. It adds a considerable feeling of bulkiness to the fore-end of the gun which most people who pick it up don't like. Personally I don't feel like it added much weight to the gun, but that is a totally subjective assessment as I never weighed it. My #2 1301 is lighter, certainly, but it also doesn't have a mag tube extension on it either. So personally I don't find the weight a problem, but I'm not carrying the thing very often. I mostly pick it up, shoot it, and put it down. I may be holding it for 30-45 minutes at a time demonstrating manipulations...but I do that with an 870 and the 870 is considerably heavier so I don't really notice.

So is it a worthwhile modification to your shotgun?

If you want something that shields your hand from the barrel and lets you mount a light and other accessories exactly where you want them and you don't mind the fore-end feeling at least 1/3-1/2 more bulky than the factory fore-end and you are perfectly happy to drop about $400 to get all that going for you, the Briley will do all that.

If you do not answer an enthusiastic and happy "Yes!" to every single one of those questions in that order, probably best skipping it and buying a glove for the left hand instead.
    3/15/2016

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    I've been running the Briley rail on my #1 1301 for a couple of years now.

#1 is a Gen1 1301 with the normal magazine tube. I have a Nordic +2 extension on the gun.

Name:  13011.jpg
Views: 483
Size:  101.7 KB

The Briley does a magnificent job of keeping your hands away from the barrel when it's hot. This is especially useful if you are doing short-stocking demonstrations, which I almost always do with an 870 anyway. So there's that.

It is held on only by the magazine tube extension. If I was buying a 1301 today, I'd prefer to buy the normal length mag tube and add the Nordic extension just because of how reliably it stays in place. Once the Nordic tube is tightened down, it stays tight until you decide to take it off. All it requires is normal finger pressure to do both. It stays tight even after a full day's worth of shooting full powered shells. It is a truly splendid piece of equipment. All my magazine tube extensions are either Nordic, Wilson, or Vang Comp because I have found all of them do a splendid job of staying tight while shooting, which is immensely helpful in keeping guns from breaking.

I haven't seen anyone using the Briley on the new extended mag tube models to see how the plastic cap fares. But I can believe it wouldn't be as trouble-free an experience as the Nordic extension.

When I bought the Briley it was $200 bucks. I saw it show up on their site on December of 2020 and I thought I had some instructor revenue I could burn (better that it be used on necessary equipment than taxes) so I bought it.

It is fantastic for mounting an X300 at exactly the spot I want it. When combined with a section of rail from Arisaka Defense, it keeps the light nice and tight into the overall profile of the gun.

It was a stupid expensive way to mount an X300 at $200. It is a lot more stupid at $335. It adds a considerable feeling of bulkiness to the fore-end of the gun which most people who pick it up don't like. Personally I don't feel like it added much weight to the gun, but that is a totally subjective assessment as I never weighed it. My #2 1301 is lighter, certainly, but it also doesn't have a mag tube extension on it either. So personally I don't find the weight a problem, but I'm not carrying the thing very often. I mostly pick it up, shoot it, and put it down. I may be holding it for 30-45 minutes at a time demonstrating manipulations...but I do that with an 870 and the 870 is considerably heavier so I don't really notice.

So is it a worthwhile modification to your shotgun?

If you want something that shields your hand from the barrel and lets you mount a light and other accessories exactly where you want them and you don't mind the fore-end feeling at least 1/3-1/2 more bulky than the factory fore-end and you are perfectly happy to drop about $400 to get all that going for you, the Briley will do all that.

If you do not answer an enthusiastic and happy "Yes!" to every single one of those questions in that order, probably best skipping it and buying a glove for the left hand instead.
    Thanks for sharing your impressions.
    Steve

Disclaimer: I am employed by Shadow Systems. My posts on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

So does the Briley rail have a ball detent to hold the mag cap in place?

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pnut View Post
    So does the Briley rail have a ball detent to hold the mag cap in place?
    A very large one at the 6:00 position.
    3/15/2016

As attractive as the Briley looks, the cost and weight are too much for me. So I guess until someone comes up with a better solution, I’ll just use glove!

I can't find a published weight for the Aridus forend so I just pulled mine off, stripped the accessories, and weighed it at 7.9 oz. That includes the forend with mounting hardware still installed, and the aluminum cap. So going from the Aridus to the Briley adds 5.8 oz. In my case I use the Nordic tube extension and clamp with sling mount. If you don't use that, then that's another ~2.4 oz. you're saving. IMO that's not that bad, but the price is still a major hurdle.
    Name:  Aridus 1301 Forend.jpg
Views: 237
Size:  38.1 KB
    Last edited by SteveL; 09-22-2023 at 02:36 PM.
    Steve

Disclaimer: I am employed by Shadow Systems. My posts on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

In all honesty, if it weren’t for the cost, I’d probably get the Briley. I don’t shoot professionally or competitively, so the weight really isn’t an issue, just another way to justify to myself not to drop the coin on it.

Agreed. IMO the little bit of added weight is a non-issue. But damn, it's expensive. I might end up getting one sooner or later, but it'll have to be whenever I've got some extra $$$ I don't need.
    Steve

Laying awake at 5am this morning I was thinking about a heatshield because who wasn't?
    I'm strongly convinced that a shield could be made to work with the Aridus Zhukov forend, attached at the fore and aft mlok slots. The Zhukov has enough flex that after it's on the barrel I believe the shield could be locked in place using tab feet that fit into the slots from the backside. This had the added benefit of keeping the shield off the barrel so it stays even cooler and doesn't mark up the barrel.
    It's something that maybe @SpyderMan2k4 could eventually create but I'm not sure he's set up to build stamped steel parts. This seems like a piece that makes way more sense stamped than milled.

User Tag List