Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 1301 heat shield options?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Pnut View Post
    Are all the Mlok rails usable with the Aridus forend? Or will they interfere with the gun’s working parts?
    The aft MLOK slots are half-available, as the mounting hardware takes up the aft half (this is addressed in the Aridus website). I have a QD sling adapter on one side.

The forward slots are fully usable - I have a cantilever light mount on one side and a pressure switch on the other.

Do gloves work?

I mentioned gloves earlier. Another option I’ve heard about is to heat wrap the forend… like the kind of wrap used on silencers.

Are all the Mlok rails usable with the Aridus forend? Or will they interfere with the gun’s working parts?
    Note the forward ones on the bottom are not as they are covered by the internal heat shield.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveL View Post
    I haven't tried it yet, and it's not cheap, but a lot of people really like the Briley handguard. It's open on top but it's still supposed to work well with the C clamp grip.

https://www.briley.com/p-64587-brile...00-xtreme.aspx
    So, I've seen a few of these come through classes, and I've fiddled around with them a bit when the opportunity presented itself.

Pros:
    1. They're good at keeping your hands off the hot barrel, although not perfect since they leave the very top open.

Cons:
    1. They're rude expensive. I get it, it costs money to machine them. But damn that's a lot of money compared to a set of flight gloves.
    2. They're heavy, and that weight is all out towards the muzzle.
    3. You have to really keep on top of the magazine extension/cover (depending on generation of 1301), because if that gets loose, it's the only thing holding the handguard tight against the receiver and I've seen several of these come loose and break the little tabs at the receiver end of the part during classes.

Matt Haught
    SYMTAC Consulting LLC
    https://sym-tac.com

Quote Originally Posted by GearFondler View Post
    The little bit of research I've done suggests the biggest issue is the add-on shield always moves around under recoil so that it comes loose and also scratches the barrel... So basically it's a +2 barrel clamp type of situation.
    A clamp that secures to the forend instead of the barrel is probably the answer.
    Yeah, I haven't seen any current-production heat shields that attach in a solid way, and most of them seem to be covered in sharp edges as well.

Y'all need to watch the upcoming P&S Modcast, the topic does come up a bit

Matt Haught
    SYMTAC Consulting LLC

Does the Briley not have a ball detent to hold the mag extension?

Does the Briley not have a ball detent to hold the mag extension?
    Dunno, I've only ever looked at them mounted on a gun, and when one goes down I generally don't have time to do extensive troubleshooting because there's a class going on.

Matt Haught
    SYMTAC Consulting LLC

It seems something with a second point of contact, for instance the top of the receiver, is needed. A new rear sight would be needed, thus driving the costs up further

Quote Originally Posted by LHS View Post
    So, I've seen a few of these come through classes, and I've fiddled around with them a bit when the opportunity presented itself.

Pros:
    1. They're good at keeping your hands off the hot barrel, although not perfect since they leave the very top open.

Cons:
    1. They're rude expensive. I get it, it costs money to machine them. But damn that's a lot of money compared to a set of flight gloves.
    2. They're heavy, and that weight is all out towards the muzzle.
    3. You have to really keep on top of the magazine extension/cover (depending on generation of 1301), because if that gets loose, it's the only thing holding the handguard tight against the receiver and I've seen several of these come loose and break the little tabs at the receiver end of the part during classes.
    Keying in on the red part, could you share your observations on which generations are more/less affected by this problem?
    Steve

Disclaimer: I am employed by Shadow Systems. My posts on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

User Tag List