Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: 1301 heat shield options?

I just confirmed that mounting the shield further back IS more secure.

I removed my barrel and placed my modified shield on it. It fit loosely in the foreword position I had it at. I then slid it back to where the barrel swells and it held much better.

So if you plan on doing this mod, be aware that mounting the further back, the better. Due to my setup with the light and SRO, that wasn’t possible, so I will live with the ranger band…

Here's mine modded to fit the Zhukov... The pics should show what all I did. I ground that one clamp narrower so as to allow the shield to slide back a bit further for the best fit at the receiver end.
    I can take it all apart without removing the shield but it requires pulling out the barrel a few inches simultaneously with sliding up the forend until the Aridus front mount clears the mag tube.
    I also taped down the back end of the shield using automotive heat resistant tape just to better secure it... Those two shortened plastic legs are not exactly snug or confidence inspiring.
    Initial thoughts are that it should work well enough but I would prefer a more secure attachment.

Nice job! One idea I thought about when I found my setup being loose was to run set screw through the hand guard to press against the shields ears. I settled on the ranger band.

Ok… final update!

I decided to try and move the shield back for better retention. I forgot that my Scout Light is the PRO model that can be adjusted… so I rotated it out a bit and was able to move the shield back. It fits great and is much more secure than my original setup. But I’m still using the ranger band for good measure.

Like GearFondler, I had to remove some material from one of the claps to allow room for my mag tube cover.

I wanna thank GearFondler and Magsz for convincing me to do this mod!

Name:  IMG_2469.jpg
Views: 285
Size:  80.2 KB
    Name:  IMG_2470.jpg
Views: 279
Size:  76.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Or just get a 21" Comp Pro and don't bother doing anything else.
    This! The 21" guns (Pro or not) are so damn similar that I'm curious if they're maybe best all-around of the 1301 family.

Re: Heatshields

Outside of shooting a lot in a class or when practicing, are these really that necessary vs. just getting a glove for your support hand?

Presumably most of us will use it for home defense, and even a copper isn't gonna sling out 25 shells in rapid succession to reload and do another 25, is he?

Quote Originally Posted by rojocorsa View Post
    This! The 21" guns (Pro or not) are so damn similar that I'm curious if they're maybe best all-around of the 1301 family.

Re: Heatshields

Outside of shooting a lot in a class or when practicing, are these really that necessary vs. just getting a glove for your support hand?

Presumably most of us will use it for home defense, and even a copper isn't gonna sling out 25 shells in rapid succession to reload and do another 25, is he?
    Honestly a glove is probably fine most of the time. Personally, I just don't like wearing them though when I shoot.
    Steve

Disclaimer: I am employed by Shadow Systems. My posts on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Quote Originally Posted by GearFondler View Post
    Here's mine modded to fit the Zhukov... The pics should show what all I did. I ground that one clamp narrower so as to allow the shield to slide back a bit further for the best fit at the receiver end.
    I can take it all apart without removing the shield but it requires pulling out the barrel a few inches simultaneously with sliding up the forend until the Aridus front mount clears the mag tube.
    I also taped down the back end of the shield using automotive heat resistant tape just to better secure it... Those two shortened plastic legs are not exactly snug or confidence inspiring.
    Initial thoughts are that it should work well enough but I would prefer a more secure attachment.

What flashlight mount is that?
    Steve

Disclaimer: I am employed by Shadow Systems. My posts on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveL View Post
    What flashlight mount is that?
    https://magpul.com/m-lokcantileverra...obal_color=118

Heads up on the Briley hand guard… it’s on sale right now at DVOR. Comes out to under $300 w/ shipping.

The only minor problem is that it isn’t the Tactical specific model. From my limited research, it will fit the Tac, but the bottom heat shield might not cover the gas piston, allowing gas to escape?!?

From Briley’s web page:
    “ Both versions are the same length (14" overall), the difference is in the uncut area of the handguard. The difference prevents excess gas from blowing out of the piston onto your hand.”

Just installed mine. I had to sand down the area where the heat shield meets the handguard. Hard to explain but it made the heat shield standoff between the shield and the handguard itself leave too much of a gap and when my support hand grabbed the 1301 I could feel the heat shield give. Meaning it would press in to the barrel. If you'll look at the front of the heat shield you can see the slight cut away I made into it where it meets up with the handguard. Plus after sanding and reducing said area it makes the shield less 'bulky' in the hands with a thumb over grip. Glad I found this mod on here guys. Now to go shoot and make sure everything stays put.

-Jax

https://flic.kr/p/2p9iMAK

User Tag List