Thread: Switch from Tapatalk support to Fora?

Switch from Tapatalk support to Fora?

It looks like tons of forums are switching away from supporting Tapatalk to the Fora app. Is there a likelihood that Pistolforum will follow the trend? I think it would be a good move.

Switch from Tapatalk support to Fora?

I think it was the Vertical Scope forums… Vertical Scope said no, so the forums have to comply.

While I get the idea that Tapatalk isn’t liked, I use it for forums. The handful that sent me the email (cookie cutter email, by the way), I marked as read, logged out and unfollowed.

Not an ultimatum to the forum, because I’m sure it wouldn’t be a major loss to you guys… but just a hassle. Only forum that I log into is actually AR15.com, mainly for the EE. I might add Gunboards to the list, as I do like buying C&R.

But I do prefer looking at forums from one app. I know mobile pages have come a long way, but it just isn’t for me.

Is Fora an actual app?

Quote Originally Posted by JMag View Post
    Is Fora an actual app?
    https://apps.apple.com/us/app/fora-c...s/id1608044805

I’m sure there is an Android version… but don’t have access to their App Store.

It's a real app... made by VerticalScope.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelD View Post
    It's a real app... made by VerticalScope.

Tapatalk and VerticalScope/Fora are presumably at loggerheads over monetization. Expect more of this. Forums cost money to run. Nobody wants to own the cost. Everyone wants 100% of the revenue.

Vertical Scope's business was buying up every forum they could get their hands on so they owned the whole thing. It doesn't matter where you view the forum, they own the ad revenue. Unless you use taptalk. Tapatalk's business is owning their custom front end while the forum essentially just becomes a back end API and database. This is what happens when you give them your username and password. I don't know how much, if any, they pay to the forum to essentially scrape content. It probably varies by forum.

We're going to see how that plays out, ultimately. Not just in any one place, but everywhere. All at once. Both Tapatalk and VerticalScope want to create another google/facebook walled garden. It remains to be seen who succeeds, if either of them do.

Thanks. I overlooked Fora Communities in the AppStore at first. Glad I did, after seeing the review, shared data, and privacy policy. Canada can keep it.

User Tag List