Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Veterans, HomeDepot is on point

$400 annually doesn't seem like a lot if you're going to remodel a bath or kitchen. We just replaced a tube shower with a stall shower. Geezer mod. The material was about 2K from HD. Some of the panels were damaged and had to be returned. I do like the fact that Lowes has vet parking close to entrance but HD usually has what I need. Lowes, meh. None of the employees in either store want to make eye contact with shoppers and rarely ask if you need help.

My neighbor worked at HD for awhile before they canned his ass over some un PC comment. I get along with him OK but the guy has some issues. Probably acquired those in prison. He did some time. We all have our social preds. I generally don't like the Irish, but it's too late to deport them.
    Last edited by Borderland; 09-14-2023 at 07:47 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldherkpilot View Post
    That's a day you should have been in Vegas.😁
    Exactly my thought. I just kept looking up and down, amazed at, the racks at straight lumber. I haven't seen that in years. Like, a lot of years.

Might be because new single family construction has more or less stopped, at least around here. Interest rates might have something to do with it. 30 yr fixed is about 8%.

Lumber prices have decreased to pre pandemic prices but interest rates have have gone into the stratosphere.
    Last edited by Borderland; 09-14-2023 at 08:25 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    $400 annually doesn't seem like a lot if you're going to remodel a bath or kitchen. We just replaced a tube shower with a stall shower. Geezer mod. The material was about 2K from HD. Some of the panels were damaged and had to be returned. I do like the fact that Lowes has vet parking close to entrance but HD usually has what I need. Lowes, meh. None of the employees in either store want to make eye contact with shoppers and rarely ask if you need help.

My neighbor worked at HD for awhile before they canned his ass over some un PC comment. I get along with him OK but the guy has some issues. Probably acquired those in prison. He did some time. We all have our social preds. I generally don't like the Irish, but it's too late to deport them.
    I went to work for HD about six months after I retired - I got bored and thought it would be fun to have a part time job completely unlike anything I'd done for the last 40 years. I worked unloading freight and stocking shelves - surprisingly I liked doing the job itself, but the 'HD way' and some of the folks I worked with caused me to leave after about a year. I have a low tolerance for stupid and I was over being bored because I wasn't going to work everyday.

Regarding special orders being damaged, you wouldn't believe the way the distribution center(s) loaded the trucks. No rhyme or reason apparent. just stuffed in trailer. Bulk orders of doors and windows are mounted onto special pallets for shipping, individual special orders are just shoved in the truck, usually against a sidewall. They were always getting damaged in transit.

Employee turnover is pretty high because there are essentially no fulltime positions other than management.
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

Yes. Yes. Yes.

The replacement bathroom light and fan purchase and installation went well, due to HD’s solid return policy, and attic access above the fan housing.

Now the wife wants a pole hedge trimmer and pole saw. Milwaukee has the pole saw and trimmer as a $405 combo. Anyone have experience with these saws or trimmers?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwauke...2719/321558151

Or am I better off with the Stihl kit at double the cost? Wife wants to be able to use it, so battery power is a big plus because she has difficulty starting the Stihl gas trimmer we have.
    Last edited by Trigger; 09-15-2023 at 10:30 AM.
    "Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master"

Site Supporter
    Lowe's demands I sign up for a bunch of crap, upload more of my PII and mil documents to id.me, use an app, and then has the nerve to demand I scan my driver's license to apply the discount. Fuck that.
    Nevermind that the past half-dozen times I went to Lowe's, no employee could locate items that the website insisted were in stock. So I gave up.

Home Depot is fine with me just presenting my mil ID, and I've had a generally better experience with their employees. $400 in total discount means $4k+ in purchases per year at 10%, very happy with that.

Quote Originally Posted by JRB View Post
    Lowe's demands I sign up for a bunch of crap, upload more of my PII and mil documents to id.me, use an app, and then has the nerve to demand I scan my driver's license to apply the discount. Fuck that.
    Nevermind that the past half-dozen times I went to Lowe's, no employee could locate items that the website insisted were in stock. So I gave up.

Home Depot is fine with me just presenting my mil ID, and I've had a generally better experience with their employees. $400 in total discount means $4k+ in purchases per year at 10%, very happy with that.
    They tell me they aren't supposed to do that, you have to use the app. You are getting friendly folks who are doing an override.

A manager caught one of the checkers doing that for me and told her she wasn't supposed to do it.
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Lehr View Post
    They tell me they aren't supposed to do that, you have to use the app. You are getting friendly folks who are doing an override.

A manager caught one of the checkers doing that for me and told her she wasn't supposed to do it.
    Ain't that a pain. Being that a chunk of my work involves COMSEC and INFOSEC, I absolutely loathe phone apps.

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    Yes. Yes. Yes.

The replacement bathroom light and fan purchase and installation went well, due to HD’s solid return policy, and attic access above the fan housing.

Now the wife wants a pole hedge trimmer and pole saw. Milwaukee has the pole saw and trimmer as a $405 combo. Anyone have experience with these saws or trimmers?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwauke...2719/321558151

Or am I better off with the Stihl kit at double the cost? Wife wants to be able to use it, so battery power is a big plus because she has difficulty starting the Stihl gas trimmer we have.
    I’ve got the Milwaukee weedeater and polesaw, plus the M12 hedge trimmer. Buy in absolute confidence. That weedeater usually wears me out before an 8.0 battery does and I haven’t bothered with a 12.0., also it’s QUIET and stupid easy to reload string on. The M12 hedge trimmer is light enough to wield one handed and last a long time on 4.0 or higher, I bet money the M18 version is a beast.
    #RESIST

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Lehr View Post

My kid is currently a cashier and you are correct. But if people are nice he requests they get the app then just gives them the discount. If they are Aholes about it well, he follows the policy.

Veterans and their discounts cause more drama for HD cashiers than almost anything else. Be nice, guys.

User Tag List