Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dumb Primer Question

Dumb Primer Question

Are the regular Federal Small Pistol primers as "soft" as the Federal Gold Match?

If they are, then that's a savings of almost $20 per thousand (at least at Scheels).

Quote Originally Posted by Flamingo View Post
    Are the regular Federal Small Pistol primers as "soft" as the Federal Gold Match?

If they are, then that's a savings of almost $20 per thousand (at least at Scheels).
    I believe they are the same, with added QC for match primers. Fed SPP are plenty soft. What gun are you shooting them in?
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

A PPC 14-2. It has an awesome trigger, but it won't pop CCI primers all the time (about 1 per cylinder). I have a thousand or so of the gold match primers, but it would be nice to not to HAVE to spend the extra scratch on the gold match.

A PPC 14-2. It has an awesome trigger, but it won't pop CCI primers all the time (about 1 per cylinder). I have a thousand or so of the gold match primers, but it would be nice to not to HAVE to spend the extra scratch on the gold match.
    Ok, I'm a revo-tard and had to look up what that is.

Regular Fed SPP should be GTG. I use them for match ammo in my CZ Shadow2 with a 11# hammer spring.

The only time I've used match primers was LRP in precision rifle loads, and even then they didn't make the SD in velocity any better.

Every USPSA revo shooter I've ever spoken to uses regular Federal primers. My understanding is the match are supposed to be better quality control somehow for better accuracy.

Quote Originally Posted by bofe954 View Post
    Every USPSA revo shooter I've ever spoken to uses regular Federal primers. My understanding is the match are supposed to be better quality control somehow for better accuracy.
    That's my understanding for Gold Medal Match rifle primers. More precisely weighted primer compound, maybe? In any case, it's never made a measurable difference. Possibly because I use an optimal charge weight load, or more likely it's just marketing BS.

Name:  70231502831__23D30EEA-1214-4E7D-B31E-96513A109C58.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  66.3 KB

Here is a picture of the revolver.

Name:  70231502831__23D30EEA-1214-4E7D-B31E-96513A109C58.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  66.3 KB

Here is a picture of the revolver.
    Wow, that is a nice gun.

It is absolutely worth trying.
    Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem
    I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude
    -Thomas Jefferson
    I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

You should be fine with Gold Medal match. I don't think the cups are any different. I did this with my 5" 625 and Clays powder and GMM Match primers.

Name:  IMG_0180.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  31.2 KB

User Tag List