Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dumb Primer Question

I have shot only regular Federal SP in my Python and weak spring Smiths. Also FLP in my M25.
    I have a box of Match on the shelf in reserve only because it was all I could get in the depths of CSC (Covid Supply Chain.)
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by Flamingo View Post
    Are the regular Federal Small Pistol primers as "soft" as the Federal Gold Match?

If they are, then that's a savings of almost $20 per thousand (at least at Scheels).
    In my experience they are just as soft.
    I picked up a box (1000) of the Gold Medal Match about 10 years ago when a big box sporting goods store went out on business.
    I keep Federal SPP on hand because I have a snubby model 10 that only runs reliably with Federal primers. I have noticed no difference in either ignition nor velocity when chronographing my rounds.
    I is my understanding, from internet lore I'm sure, that the QC is greater for the Gold Medal Match primers.

I've predominantly used Winchester primers the past 5 years since that was the last large group purchase I went in on. In my experience and opinion they are the "next softest" to Federal and ignite about 90% in that snubby model 10 I mentioned.
    I save my case of Federals just for that snubby.

Are the regular Federal Small Pistol primers as "soft" as the Federal Gold Match?

If they are, then that's a savings of almost $20 per thousand (at least at Scheels).
    FWIW I read this initially as "Dumb Printer Question" and was going to rant about the evils of printers

A PPC 14-2. It has an awesome trigger, but it won't pop CCI primers all the time (about 1 per cylinder). I have a thousand or so of the gold match primers, but it would be nice to not to HAVE to spend the extra scratch on the gold match.
    If you haven't, check the strain screw to make sure it's tight.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    . . . .more likely it's just marketing BS.
    Thats my thought on this. Besides I'm sure my stock Glocks will set off the'regular version," and I doubt any small differences (if they actually exist), will affect handgun accuracy at distances I shoot.

User Tag List