Thread: Best options for a 2 MOA offset optic

Best options for a 2 MOA offset optic

Looking for best RDS options for an SPR-type rifle setup, which has a 2.5-10x optic, and will wear an offset RDS.

I have an Aimpoint T2 and an Arisaka offset mount on another rifle. Like that combo for the unrivaled durability and battery life; it works fine. But not sure I want to add another T2. Not only are they pricey for an RDS, but with my astigmatism I get a significantly less crisp dot despite trying the tricks of the trade to improve clarity (reducing brightness, looking through cowitnessed rear sight aperture, using/not-using my corrected lens glasses, etc). And though they are not heavy by anybody's definition, the T2 are a good bit heavier than today's super-compact pistol mounted RDS.

What are other strong RDS contenders that folks have found to work in this role? Criteria: a durable/proven RDS, weight of 2 oz or less, uses a common footprint (so I can mount on offsets like Arisaka or Badger J-arm), and gives a 2 MOA dot that is as clear as the T2 (or better). Closed emitter is a bonus, but optional.

A few on my list:
    * Holosun 407C/507C, or EPS (not carry). These would work with RMR footprint offset mounts. All of them are light, and I have these optics on pistols, I can actually see the 2 MOA dots more crisp than my T2. If I go with an EPS, I'd have to use the included RMR adapter plant to attach to an offset RMR footprint mount.
    * Trijicon RMR. Issue here is no 2 MOA dot option, that I'm aware of. They have a 1 MOA, or 3.25 next size up. Does the 3.25 MOA work well enough for ranges within 50y?
    * Other?

The Aimpoint Duty would satisfy some of your requirements, but depending on your definition of proven, it may or may not fit the bill. Its a relatively new product. It is also heavier than 2oz.

Dot clarity is way better than on the T2 imo. Check.

2 MOA. Check.

Price ? Check.

T2 footprint ? Check. Unless cowitness height is a major factor in your decision. Sounds like it isnt though.

Proven ? Maybe. Its definitely a quality Aimpoint optic, but nothing is as proven as a T2.
    Last edited by MTP; 09-14-2023 at 11:41 AM.

I use the Arisaka 19 plate with an EPS, zero issues. Not sure why they recommend the RMR footprint and plate on plate installation. That wasn’t a recommendation when I got mine and it’s held zero. Granted, I don’t Cowan my optics.

Does 3.25 MOA work well for 50 yards and in?

I've run 3.25 MOA RMRs on longguns and have never had any issue with the size of the dot. I can also recall once-upon-a-time the only way to get an Aimpoint Micro was with a 4 MOA dot and, while the 2 MOA dot was more popular (once it became available), the 4 MOA dot was more than adequate for a general purpose red dot.
    And remember when demons and beasts cast their darkness, you have God's love - and Browning's wrath - to guide you.

Quote Originally Posted by davisj View Post
    I use the Arisaka 19 plate with an EPS, zero issues.
    Good to know if I go with EPS. Kind of leaning that way at the moment since it's enclosed, and the 3 of them I have on pistols have worked well.

User Tag List