Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Taurus 380 revolver or???

Taurus 380 revolver or???

I took my Wife, Daughter, and Granddaughter to the range the other day. We had a great time. Getting my girls out for a bit of practice i always good.

My Daughter has some health issues. She was experiencing a lot of pain shooting the 638 with 125gr light practice loads. It affected her shooting quite a bit. She carries an LCR in 38 special. We have been discussing replacing it with something with less recoil.
    She was comfortable shooting my wife's M64 4" with the same loads, so I think something with a similar recoil impulse might do well.

I know we could go with an LCR in 22lr worst case, but I would like to find a better option. Has anybody tried the Taurus 380 revolver? Any other ideas?

Thanks for your help

How do Magtec 148 WCs @600 ish out of a 2" compare to the above 125's?

Also LCR in .357 is 17ish oz.

A steel 640 for Practice?

Site Supporter

Why does it have to be a revolver?
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    This was my question as well. I would look at a S&W .380 EZ, Sig P365 .380, G42, or perhaps Ruger Lite Rack .380.

If going below .380 becomes necessary, I would look at a Kel-Tec P-32 before going to a .22.
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Site Supporter
    LCR in 327 mag but with SW 32 Long wadcutters? However, the semis suggested are worth trying.
    Cloud Yeller of the Boomer Age

I bought one last year because I have beat up and arthritic hands.
    To my hands, the recoil was indistinguishable from a .38 wadcutter. With a revolver, you get all the recoil at once, which concentrates both the impact and torque on your hands. My Kahr CM9 is comfortable to shoot for 50 rounds. No centerfire revolvers are.
    My solution ended up being a pair of LCP2s in .380 and .22LR.

It's a nice revolver, on par with my Smiths. It has a better front sight and a smooth action, although I could do without the moonclips.

Site Supporter

Taurus 380 revolver or???

Quote Originally Posted by Navin Johnson View Post
    How do Magtec 148 WCs @600 ish out of a 2" compare to the above 125's?

Also LCR in .357 is 17ish oz.

A steel 640 for Practice?
    Navin has a good point, if she likes the lcr the extra 3.5 oz of the 357 variant will help quite a bit.
    Last edited by luckyman; 09-14-2023 at 12:04 PM. Reason: Fixed autocorrect that changed Navin to Bacon 😀

I love revolvers. That said, the easy button for the recoil sensitive is a G42. If an LCR .38 is too much, the G42 becomes a rule #1 option worth looking at. JMO.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    Great point.

The honest answer is that she is very familiar with and SAFE carrying a revolver. She has not had enough training with semi-auto pistols. She is a working, single mom with limited time & resources. It would be a heavy lift to get her dialed in to my satisfaction. I am more comfortable with her carrying a revolver at this time.

If I could get her out to the range more often & etc, a G42 or something similar would be the logical choice. Right now a light recoiling revolver seems to make the most sense.

User Tag List