Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Windham Weapons Closes

That is too bad. So many options out there now days. I have a Windham and like it a lot. Only real compliant is the original collapsible stock had a raised plastic ring that would contact my cheek during firing. Easy fix with a Magpul upgrade and a solid rifle for the money.

ABC's notwithstanding, isn't Bushmaster one of the reasons' @rob_s originally created the infamous chart?

I had a buddy of mine who took his Bushmaster to a Blackwater class way, way back in the day (early GWOT) and had issues toward the end of the day with the gun short stroking. This was the heyday of the "bring a thousand rounds" type classes. He said it took a lot of diagnosing to determine that the unstaked gas key when heated up enough would move and not get enough gas to cycle the action completely. Simple fix, I guess, if you know it. Which we do, now. We didn't, then. One of the reasons a chart/checklist is useful.

Bushmaster was one of the early commercial manufacturers who made the AR available, but if you ran them hard the fact that they had some weak points was generally well-known. It's where the whole "buy a Colt 6920" came from.

Quote Originally Posted by jh9 View Post
    ABC's notwithstanding, isn't Bushmaster one of the reasons' @rob_s originally created the infamous chart?
    Yeah, it's a bit funny seeing folks waxing nostalgic about Bushmaster/Windham when a 5-10 years ago they were cursed for issues and the example of not meeting the minimum of mil-spec.
    And for 'screwing up' the ACR.

Pure crap. Good. Glad they’re gone. The market is saturated with subpar products and now there is one less.
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

Quote Originally Posted by MandoWookie View Post
    Yeah, it's a bit funny seeing folks waxing nostalgic about Bushmaster/Windham when a 5-10 years ago they were cursed for issues and the example of not meeting the minimum of mil-spec.
    And for 'screwing up' the ACR.
    Quote Originally Posted by Odin Bravo One View Post
    Pure crap. Good. Glad they’re gone. The market is saturated with subpar products and now there is one less.
    Thirty years ago Olympia Arms and Bushies were often the only AR's you could find. America's love affair with the AR really didn't start until the GWOT.

We had an old Oly HBAR at work that was a tack driver, not quite as accurate as my White Oak, but then again, it wasn't free floated and didn't have a $250.00 trigger.

I was sad to see both of them go, warts and all.
    Last edited by DDTSGM; 09-15-2023 at 12:20 AM.
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

Just because a piece of shit is the only piece of shit available doesn’t mean I’m interested in a piece of shit……I wouldn’t take a Windham or Bushmaster if it was free and came with a BJ. They’re not even decent parts guns…..
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

Im also surprised to see all these positive comments. Windham Weaponry got a couple of small LE contracts I know of and the guns quickly proceeded to shit the bed. If you want an entry level AR, just buy a PSA or an Aero Precision. You’ll probably get a better gun than what you would have from Windham.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by WobblyPossum View Post
    Im also surprised to see all these positive comments. Windham Weaponry got a couple of small LE contracts I know of and the guns quickly proceeded to shit the bed. If you want an entry level AR, just buy a PSA or an Aero Precision. You’ll probably get a better gun than what you would have from Windham.
    No idea on either of your experiences, but I’ve never seen a first hand issue with a Windham rifle/pistol. As COVID was starting, we had two officers that picked up guns direct from Windham (offered decent L/E program). I think like 20 or so others bought them afterwards. Couple SBRed their pistols with the brace thing. Others have +16” guns, which I see at the range periodically. Even the local shops tend to have a decent selection of them… no pitchforks or complaints. A lot of Mainers promoted them… which I sort of understand. But when I was in NJ, I didn’t go “rah, rah Modern Materiel!”

That being said, I originally wanted one of the kind of A1s they did. Went back/forth with them, who kept mentioning the A4 (I have a NM A4). Eventually found out that due to not being able to source the uppers, they weren’t going to be available for the foreseeable future. Rather that would have been stated instead of exchanging emails… but I really can’t blame someone trying to sell a product.

When I was an AI for Jeff Gonzales and when I taught open enrollment courses we’d see the inevitable parade of Bushmasters and Windham I’ve spent more Saturdays fixing Windam guns than most manage to get rounds through their guns. Our running joke was to predict with relative accuracy when during a course a particular gun would shit the bed for good, and I’d be out trying unfuck their laziness and ignorance so the owner didn’t waste more money by being sidelined with an inoperable weapon.

When I was an AI for Jeff Gonzales and when I taught open enrollment courses we’d see the inevitable parade of Bushmasters and Windham I’ve spent more Saturdays fixing Windam guns than most manage to get rounds through their guns. Our running joke was to predict with relative accuracy when during a course a particular gun would shit the bed for good, and I’d be out trying unfuck their laziness and ignorance so the owner didn’t waste more money by being sidelined with an inoperable weapon.

What were the typical failures?
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

User Tag List