Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: USPSA 15 round production survey

I still shoot production and single stack because 3-5 mag changes in a stage, leaving a trove of magazines behind me in the dirt, dropping lower in the combined club match scores from losing extra time on a stage does not bother me at all.

But I am old and don't care, just happy to get out and run and play with guns still.

I think 15 round production would bring a few of the shooters who actually do care about all those things back to the division, but not troves of them.

It won't change the dynamic of this sport being very much optic dominated at the club level.
    Support the Second Amendment Foundation and the Firearms Policy Coalition, join and give!

Site Supporter
    We must shoot 10 rounds here. The custom is to shoot 8 and then reload. It is major sin to go to slide lock as that wastes milliseconds and folks intensively study the stage to plan how to move in conjunction with their reloads to save milliseconds. Also being old, I really don't care. I usually shoot 10 and then reload. Sometimes I forget the game and go to slide lock and waste milliseconds as I probably would on DA STREET as I wouldn't want to waste rounds for the zombies.

My concern with mag capacity is RKBA related and the game is irrelevant.
    Cloud Yeller of the Boomer Age

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    This is turning into an interesting discussion. Here's how I would rank importance of guns and division rules:

Ranked based on making the shooting easier/faster/lower risk:

1. Optics
    2. High cap
    3. Major scoring
    4. Comp
    5. Light/short trigger
    6. Weight
    7. Magwell

Major scoring does not make shooting faster or easier. Quite opposite (Unless in Open with compensators). Recoil control is about 80% of the total score. Extra weight allows a shooter to control a gun in recoil better - making it faster. That is why eliminating weight restriction in Production and CO was a wrong move toward a videogame. There are Open and PCC for that

Quote Originally Posted by cheby View Post
    Major scoring does not make shooting faster or easier. Quite opposite (Unless in Open with compensators). Recoil control is about 80% of the total score. Extra weight allows a shooter to control a gun in recoil better - making it faster. That is why eliminating weight restriction in Production and CO was a wrong move toward a videogame. There are Open and PCC for that
    Good point about major PF. I should add that to the list. I agree that recoil control is important, and a heavy gun helps. But I don’t agree that gun weight is as dominant as other factors. A Glock 34 is still competitive.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by CleverNickname View Post
    That seems like a good division for IDPA (since it only has one optics division and is supposedly the more "realistic" game), but I don't see the desire for it in USPSA.
    Maybe? But it seems like I hear about people with plastic guns wanting something like a stock-ish Glock 19 division.

Seems reasonable for people who want to compete with what they carry.

Even though there’s not much demand for it… probably more demand than for iron sight revolver….

It’s ironic that people who like revos, might want / need optics the most.

Steel Challenge offers optic Revo… would like that in regular USPSA Revo!

A Glock 34 is still competitive.
    Well I guess it depends on a stage. A hose fest at the local match - yes. Tight long distance partials at the good major - less ideal regardless of the skill level:

This is turning into an interesting discussion. Here's how I would rank importance of guns and division rules:

Ranked based on making the shooting easier/faster/lower risk:

1. Optics
    2. High cap
    3. Major scoring
    4. Comp
    5. Light/short trigger
    6. Weight
    7. Magwell
    I agree with most of it; weight I think rates higher since all of them are heavy now but that is a minor point. I don't know if easier/faster/lower risk is a primary motivation for people. For example, my attitude to Production is opposite of yours. I find it more suffocating and less creative than hicaps. I am cool with lowcap in 1911 or revo because you can't stuff more into them but when the gun is capable of at least 17 from the factory and we artificially neuter that, the prescriptive nature of this division becomes intolerable to me. That's why I stopped shooting it, not because of the dot.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Tired, double tap.

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    For example, my attitude to Production is opposite of yours. I find it more suffocating and less creative than hicaps. I am cool with lowcap in 1911 or revo because you can't stuff more into them but when the gun is capable of at least 17 from the factory and we artificially neuter that, the prescriptive nature of this division becomes intolerable to me. That's why I stopped shooting it, not because of the dot.
    That's why I never bothered to shoot Production. I didn't see it as practical at all. If I were limited to 10 rounds, I wouldn't bother buying and carrying a gun that would hold 15-17. How it got as popular as it once was, I don't understand. I understand the reasoning for the cap limit, just not the popularity of what it once was.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan1980 View Post
    How it got as popular as it once was, I don't understand. I understand the reasoning for the cap limit, just not the popularity of what it once was.
    It was the only pistol division where shooting off the shelf ammo wasn't cost prohibitive, reloading was really cheap, and top competitive guns were still considerably cheaper than top competitive guns in most major pf divisions. I played Production and then later CO because I shoot commercial ammo. Six-eight weeks a year of getting my .45 1911 fix don't play out significantly in costs but full year in .40sw would've been expensive.

User Tag List