Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: 32 S&W Long Wadcutters vs 380?

Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    Did not test H110.

Alliant #2400 did not produce acceptable ballistic uniformity with large ES and SDs, loose groups and vertical stringing.

Overall the 3 grain Bullseye load with the 85 XTP is most satisfactory. Moderate pressure. Both clean burning and accurate.
    Thank you Outpost.

Bullseye is my favorite powder for .38 spl and .32 S&W so I'll stay in that lane.

Much obliged.

Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    Some tested .32 S&W Long "+P" data for use in S&W Models 30 and 31, post-1950 Colt steel D-frame and Ruger LCR and SP101 revolvers

Hornady 100 XTP .312" R-P case, CCI500, 8.5 grains IMR4227, OAL 1.17" - 897 fps @ 20,200 psi

Hornady 85 XTP .312" R-P case, CCI500, 3 grains Alliant Bullseye, OAL 1.175" - 890 fps @ 16,800 psi
    Thank you! I very much appreciate the depth of experienced industry folks we have that are will to share their expertise.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
    Thank you Sir.

OK, stupid question time.
    I have a couple of pounds of H110 and 2400. Would either of these powders serve for the 100 gr XTP to approach that velocity in either .32 S&W Long or .32 H&R mag safely?

I've look at the ADI velocity equivalency chart and looked/searched on CB...but don't want to damage me nor my 327 LCR.

I have Bullseye and 85 gr XTPs so I have that covered.

TIA
    There is data for H110 in .327, but not the shorter .32s. I'm surprised by that for a number of reasons. The smallest case I use it in is .357 Mag.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    There is data for H110 in .327, but not the shorter .32s. I'm surprised by that for a number of reasons. The smallest case I use it in is .357 Mag.
    Same here on both accounts Hambo.

I did find some data on CastBoolits for H&R Mag, but nothing pressure tested iirc.

I did shoot some 100gr DEWC in .32 H&R nag yesterday loaded with 3 gr Bullseye. They are accurate (for me) at 3 inches/ 7 yards from my LCR. I need to chrono them but since I murdered my chrono a couple of months ago it'll need to wait a bit.

My favorite .32 S&W 100 gr DEWC loads so far are W231 2.4 gr with SA primers. They give me 764 fps out of my LCR. But I like the Bullseye loads quite a bit as well. Decisions, decisions.

I have a good amount of W231 so I may well toy with that in .32 H&R mag as I've seen mentioned in one of these threads. (Can't keep up with everything LOL).

I might try working up some .32 H&R mag loads with some H110 and see what shakes. Cautious work.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
    Same here on both accounts Hambo.

I did find some data on CastBoolits for H&R Mag, but nothing pressure tested iirc.

I did shoot some 100gr DEWC in .32 H&R nag yesterday loaded with 3 gr Bullseye. They are accurate (for me) at 3 inches/ 7 yards from my LCR. I need to chrono them but since I murdered my chrono a couple of months ago it'll need to wait a bit.

My favorite .32 S&W 100 gr DEWC loads so far are W231 2.4 gr with SA primers. They give me 764 fps out of my LCR. But I like the Bullseye loads quite a bit as well. Decisions, decisions.

I have a good amount of W231 so I may well toy with that in .32 H&R mag as I've seen mentioned in one of these threads. (Can't keep up with everything LOL).

I might try working up some .32 H&R mag loads with some H110 and see what shakes. Cautious work.
    I checked Lyman 50th Ed and they list H110 for .327 Mag with a 100gr JHP. In theory, I get that it will work, but it's best in larger charges and has a narrow min-max. I don't venture out where there is no data. I shoot a lot of wildcats, but I always start with some info, even if it's the developer's original notes.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Good point.
    I might best stick published data.

From my experience with H110 and. 357, H110 likes the upper limits of it's narrow window.
    Thank you for the reminder.

User Tag List