Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: 32 S&W Long Wadcutters vs 380?

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    I am waiting on components to arrive and I will producing more .38 Short Colt.

The little 125 grain Poly-Coat .38 Short Colts have proven to be pretty darn popular and while most of the general shooting population may not have heard of it, it appears those that buy one or two boxes keep coming back for more and more. Repeat sales are a pretty good indicator that people seem to really like the little things.
    If the MV of the load is listed on your site I'm not seeing it.

Edited to add: I see it is on the box in the image. Is it anywhere else and I'm just not seeing it?

Edited again, I see it listed in the text for 4" gun, I'm just blind today
    Last edited by Dov; 09-22-2023 at 07:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    An interesting thread. I read a piece about how the computer media industries are not focusing as much as they should on older folks. At the Quest lab yesterday for a vampire draw, I saw older people totally befuddled by the check in kisok. How to use the menus, where to scan their insurance and licenses - horror show. One poor guy had to turn to the waiting room and say: Can someone help me?

I would have jumped up, but beaten to it by a nice younger woman. Since I have a good tech background, not a problem for me - YET!

I think it is an avenue for the gun world to explore. Guns for the older folks - like 32 revolvers with decent triggers, things like the easy rack guns, tip ups in 380 from Beretta, SW, Ruger. One might even argue for a pickle ball analog for competition. Current ones stress, heavy guns, running like a track meet to chase milliseconds. At our matches, we have solid group of super seniors who just want trigger time and hits - not a race where you stand at start like an Olympic sprinter. Holsters for the grumpy old bodies of all genders (not going there).

Not having more lesser caliber divisions - 22 LR, 32 ACP, etc - suggesting that brings on fits in some games!!! OMG!!!I don't see why running Glock 44s or the equivalent 'tactical' guns isn't allowed. Steel does it. We ran 22 LR carbines as a division in our carbine matches.
    Fellow nerd here, but my aging eyes have made me painfully aware of how crummy most if not all OS are at giving options for usable font sizes for OS menus etc short of lowering resolution of screen, which I don't like doing. Annoying that browsers will let me increase text size so its not difficult to read but leave screen at high resolution but menus in MacOS or Windows or Chrome etc don't.

I am hoping that by shooting mild wadcutters in my 60 will prevent damage that may not show up later in life.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Dov View Post
    Fellow nerd here, but my aging eyes have made me painfully aware of how crummy most if not all OS are at giving options for usable font sizes for OS menus etc short of lowering resolution of screen, which I don't like doing. Annoying that browsers will let me increase text size so its not difficult to read but leave screen at high resolution but menus in MacOS or Windows or Chrome etc don't.
    Thread drift, excuse me. I had a work Mac Laptop that had become obsolete but still useful. They offered it to me for $75 and I said $25. No deal. So I turned it back in but switched the OS language to Norwegian and set the font size to so big that when you booted it up, all you saw was a Giant Letter D. Childish, I'm sure it was recycled.

I alternate in pocket carry between a 432 and G42. So far I can shoot 9mm in Glocks just fine. Even 100 45 ACPs once in awhile doesn't seem to impact my hands and arms yet. I do hand squeezy exercises and some light dumbbells.
    Cloud Yeller of the Boomer Age

Thread drift, excuse me. I had a work Mac Laptop that had become obsolete but still useful. They offered it to me for $75 and I said $25. No deal. So I turned it back in but switched the OS language to Norwegian and set the font size to so big that when you booted it up, all you saw was a Giant Letter D. Childish, I'm sure it was recycled.
    That's my king of petty.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Low recoil 38s

I recommend trying the Hornady Critical Defense standard pressure loads. The 90 gr 38 load duplicates 380 ballistics, but the 110 gr standard pressure load has low recoil and may hit to point of aim for you. I highly recommend the 110 gr standard pressure Hornady Critical Defense round. If available, also check out alternative grips that may reduce felt recoil. The Pachmayr Diamond Pro is on the large side, but is excellent at recoil reduction. I don’t know if there is one for a J frame, but you need grips that fit your hand size and have effective recoil control.
    Both of the 38 loads that I mentioned have similar, low levels of recoil and are more pleasant to shoot than even the 130 gr ball load or 148 gr wadcutters.

Some tested .32 S&W Long "+P" data for use in S&W Models 30 and 31, post-1950 Colt steel D-frame and Ruger LCR and SP101 revolvers

Hornady 100 XTP .312" R-P case, CCI500, 8.5 grains IMR4227, OAL 1.17" - 897 fps @ 20,200 psi

Hornady 85 XTP .312" R-P case, CCI500, 3 grains Alliant Bullseye, OAL 1.175" - 890 fps @ 16,800 psi

Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    Some tested .32 S&W Long "+P" data for use in S&W Models 30 and 31, post-1950 Colt steel D-frame and Ruger LCR and SP101 revolvers

Hornady 100 XTP .312" R-P case, CCI500, 8.5 grains IMR4227, OAL 1.17" - 897 fps @ 20,200 psi

Hornady 85 XTP .312" R-P case, CCI500, 3 grains Alliant Bullseye, OAL 1.175" - 890 fps @ 16,800 psi
    Thank you Sir.

OK, stupid question time.
    I have a couple of pounds of H110 and 2400. Would either of these powders serve for the 100 gr XTP to approach that velocity in either .32 S&W Long or .32 H&R mag safely?

I've look at the ADI velocity equivalency chart and looked/searched on CB...but don't want to damage me nor my 327 LCR.

I have Bullseye and 85 gr XTPs so I have that covered.

TIA

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
    Thank you Sir.

OK, stupid question time.
    I have a couple of pounds of H110 and 2400. Would either of these powders serve for the 100 gr XTP to approach that velocity in either .32 S&W Long or .32 H&R mag safely?

I've look at the ADI velocity equivalency chart and looked/searched on CB...but don't want to damage me nor my 327 LCR.

I have Bullseye and 85 gr XTPs so I have that covered.

TIA
    Did not test H110.

Alliant #2400 did not produce acceptable ballistic uniformity with large ES and SDs, loose groups and vertical stringing.

Overall the 3 grain Bullseye load with the 85 XTP is most satisfactory. Moderate pressure. Both clean burning and accurate.
    Last edited by Outpost75; 04-13-2024 at 02:34 PM.

Former Mac power user here (now obsolete, since I no longer do graphics and mix sound/video). At the height of my abilities, I used to take considerable glee from going into the local Apple store, and finding the screensaver and voice prompts on display models. I’d change a few display computers to say “Holy shit, you took too long. I’m going to hit the rack.” Upon switching to the screen saver. That *never* got old.

”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

User Tag List