Page 18 of 23 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: New Mexico Governor suspends carrying of firearms in Albuquerque for 30 days

Site Supporter
    What a smashing success.. at proving your incompetence and that nearly everyone could predict this outcome.

https://www.krqe.com/news/albuquerqu...querque-motel/

Site Supporter
    And as a thought to @Tamara 's latest blog post, maybe the young troglydite realized that his First Amendment Rights could be abridged by a public health declaration, if the Second Amendment Rights could be so easily canceled.

Couple more thoughts: the governor mentioned "bad actors" and not "criminals" in her original press release, and then she attacked the elected Bernalillo County Sheriff via X (former Twitter) when he declared the order unconstitutional...he did it in a manner that was carefully crafted to indicate he was willing to work with her and was disapproving of the order, not her personally, and she went batshit...

Apparently she was in a multihour meeting with law enforcement executives, to include the Democrat sheriff, just prior to the announcement, and had an "oh, by the way" moment almost on the way to the desk for the presser.

pat

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by fixer View Post
    What a smashing success.. at proving your incompetence and that nearly everyone could predict this outcome.

I went online last night to look up the homicides in Bernalillo County since Friday. Stats weren't updated since 9/8, but yeah, there was a homicide last night in the SW Area, and a shooting in the SE, one injured, expected to survive.

How much gun violence is the Governor willing to accept after her public health emergency before she sends in the National Guard? And what would she have them do?

pat
    Last edited by UNM1136; 09-12-2023 at 01:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fixer View Post

West Mesa?

I’m shocked. Shocked, I say.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    West Mesa?

I’m shocked. Shocked, I say.
    Just a couple of miles from me as I type this in my bed...

Responded to a shooting a month or so ago and was told it happened at Tower Park.

Me: happened at Tower Park as they were driving by...

Doc: Tower Park? On a Sunday at 0200? No way!

Me: Way!

Doc: Excellent!

pat

Site Supporter
    Since QI is no longer a defense for ANY government worker in NM, could that expose the Governor to civil rights violation charges?
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    Since QI is no longer a defense for ANY government worker in NM, could that expose the Governor to civil rights violation charges?
    Do you mean a civil rights violation lawsuit?

Because QI is only a defense to civil liability matters.

QI does not apply to criminal criminal charges.

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    Don't know. For the others who may be wondering about how this would work, someone would have to bring a 1983 action alleging violation of civil rights under 42nd United States Code, Section 1983:

Every person who, under color of any statute, ordinance, regulation, custom, or usage, of any State or Territory or the District of Columbia,

subjects, or causes to be subjected, any citizen of the United States or other person within the jurisdiction thereof to the deprivation of any rights, privileges, or immunities secured by the Constitution and laws, shall be liable

to the party injured in an action at law, suit in equity, or other proper proceeding for redress,

except that in any action brought against a judicial officer for an act or omission taken in such officer’s judicial capacity, injunctive relief shall not be granted unless a declaratory decree was violated or declaratory relief was unavailable.

For the purposes of this section, any Act of Congress applicable exclusively to the District of Columbia shall be considered to be a statute of the District of Columbia.

I'd guess it would depend if the definition of injured would include not being able to carry. I think it would.
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

Site Supporter
    The New Mexico Attorney General has stated he will not defend the Governor or her gun ban order in court because it doesn’t pass constitutional muster.

https://nmpoliticalreport.com/2023/0...ujpxTax37wu_Gs

AG says he won’t defend Lujan Grisham administration in gun order lawsuits

New Mexico Attorney General Raúl Torrez sent Gov. Michelle Luan Grisham a letter telling her that his office would not defend her in the four cases so far filed in federal court challenging the Sept. 8 public health order.

The order puts a temporary ban on firearms in Albuquerque and Bernalillo County as well as imposing drug monitoring and other measures.

“Though I recognize my statutory obligation as New Mexico’s chief legal officer to defend state officials when they are sued in their official capacity, my duty to uphold and defend the constitutional rights of every citizen takes precedence,” Torrez’s letter stated. “Simply put, I do not believe that the Emergency Order will have any meaningful impact on public safety but, more importantly, I do not believe it passes constitutional muster.”

Torrez shared his anger and frustration about survivors and victims of gun violence.

“The tragic deaths of 5-year-old Galilea Samaniego in a recent drive-by shooting and 11-year-old Froylan Villegas in a road rage incident should serve as a wakeup call to everyone,” Torrez said in the letter. “I encourage you to engage in a more thoughtful and deliberative process with members of the New Mexico Legislature rather than taking unilateral action that infringes on the constitutional rights of law-abiding citizens while having little if any discernible impact on the underlying dynamics driving gun violence in our community.”

Torrez agrees with the need for a debate about the effects of gun violence, “but the issuance of an executive order in violation of core constitutional principles is not the appropriate method for bringing about such a debate, and its flawed legal foundation is likely to obscure rather than highlight, meaningful solutions.”

Bernalillo County Sheriff John Allen announced Monday that his office would not be enforcing the order citing its alleged unconstitutionality, to which Lujan Grisham responded in a statement to the NM Political Report that her administration had “given you the tools, Sheriff Allen — now stop being squeamish about using them. I will not back down from doing what’s right and I will always put the safety of the people of New Mexico first.”

The four federal lawsuits were filed by the National Association for Gun Rights, We the Patriots USA, a class action lawsuit filed by Shawn Blas, a Bernalillo County resident and Randy Donk and Gun Owners of America.

Other groups are planning to file lawsuits against Lujan Grisham and her administration.

Two of these groups are the New Mexico Shooting Sports Association and the Republican Party of New Mexico.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Do you mean a civil rights violation lawsuit?

Because QI is only a defense to civil liability matters.

QI does not apply to criminal criminal charges.
    Yes... a civil suit.. apologies for the mixed language.. thanks for clarifying
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

User Tag List