Page 15 of 23 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: New Mexico Governor suspends carrying of firearms in Albuquerque for 30 days

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Have fun waiting for ambulances in traffic when your loved one is dying. Or...

Concerned Citizen: "The police didn't get to this active shooter fast enough!"

Police: "Well, yeah, we were waiting on the red lights to turn green. We can't break traffic laws, after all".

Concerned citizen: "Oh yeah, cool, cool. Can't have any of that."
    Sure. There are examples and scenarios that would need to be considered.

On the other hand, I think a lot of people observe politicians seem to have notable improvements in net worth after taking office. And people in their orbit often make investment choices that benefit from legislation and procurement in a way that would look an awful lot like insider trading if it was done by a corporate officer.

And imagine how no longer having two classes of citizens would impact gun laws.

Name:  IMG_0470.jpeg
Views: 372
Size:  94.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Edster View Post
    But the two things I sometimes think about are:

1. No law or regulation may include an exemption for people who are members of the government or related to members of government.
    "
    Have fun waiting for ambulances in traffic when your loved one is dying. Or...

Concerned Citizen: "The police didn't get to this active shooter fast enough!"

Police: "Well, yeah, we were waiting on the red lights to turn green. We can't break traffic laws, after all".

Concerned citizen: "Oh yeah, cool, cool. Can't have any of that."
    One way around that might be to specify that the amendment applies to elected members of the executive or legislative branch
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

Quote Originally Posted by Edster View Post
    Sure. There are examples and scenarios that would need to be considered.
    Well now you're making exceptions.

[sarcasm]Slippery slope![/sarcasm]
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Well now you're making exceptions.

[sarcasm]Slippery slope![/sarcasm]
    For the particular example of an ambulance or fire truck, a couple of thoughts:

1. An affirmative defense that running red lights to save someone's life is ok. Conceptually, this would be similar to use-of-deadly-force laws. It's worth noting that, in my state at least, the same standards on deadly force apply to both law enforcement and non-law enforcement.

2. Ignoring emergency vehicle sirens is still an offense. It's not ok to crash into an ambulance that ran a red light with lights and sirens running.
    Last edited by Edster; 09-11-2023 at 01:42 PM.

Site Supporter
    For your consideration:

https://bearingarms.com/ranjit-singh...ckpedal-n74623

Making other gun banners seem “reasonable” so that squishy Republicans can listen to them and give away more rights is an interesting theory.
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    For your consideration:

https://bearingarms.com/ranjit-singh...ckpedal-n74623

Making other gun banners seem “reasonable” so that squishy Republicans can listen to them and give away more rights is an interesting theory.
    It's possible. The "string pullers" are quite capable of 3D Chess, but my time in Kalifornia surrounded by the general variety of anti-gun types has lead me to come to the conclusion that they really are not capable of discerning between responsible law abiding gun owners and the criminal element. They see no difference between a collie and a wolf. The fact that so many law makers purposely equate the two further obfuscates the issue. Hard to tell if the governor is just a simpleton or a machiavellian.

Quote Originally Posted by 0ddl0t View Post
    Even David Hogg is going wtf?!
    I have to admit: I didn’t see that one coming.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

The funny thing about having double standards for laws is that eventually everyone sees themselves as exempt. Lawlessness doesn't just stop with Big Brother and the Oligarchs* in the strong man states like Russia and Hungary. Everyone else gets in on the action too. One doesn't have to be Plutarch or Machiavelli to notice that.

*worst band EVER!
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

User Tag List