Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: New Mexico Governor suspends carrying of firearms in Albuquerque for 30 days

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    IIRC, Louisiana’s governor did this for the city of New Orleans (not just carry but even possession) in the aftermath of a hurricane about 20 years ago - Katrina?
    It was the NO police chief who ordered PD and National Guard (not sure how he could give them orders) to confiscate guns. Somewhere on youtube you can still see the video of five or six of NOPD's finest using force to confiscate a little old black lady's snub revolver in her kitchen. New Orleans PD makes it's own rules, always have, still do. NOPD is an acronym for Not Our Problem Dude.

In response Congressman (later Governor) Jindal and Senator Vitter sponsored legislation that became part of the 2007 Homeland Security appropriations prohibiting confiscation unless confiscation was allowed under federal law.

Site Supporter
    "Public Health" is the new buzzword used to justify new-school Bolshevism.

I saw discussions of utilizing public health as a method for enacting gun control before 2020, and obviously that year just encouraged the use of public health as an end around for enacting desired legal change. Post 2020 there are more and more people entering a crowded public health field. It was already a rather nebulous pseudoscience, but expect to see more people of rather modest abilities and high desire for control looking to make a name for themselves. I'll just say I'm glad I got out of that field.

This, along with rulemaking in lieu of actually passing legislation, is the new face of gun control in the coming years.

Site Supporter
    Is there any evidence that the crimes are being committed by permitted carriers? At conferences, an economist or sociologist/criminologist will look at crime figures and then the number of licenses/permits and say OMG. more licenses, more crimes. Two things, they usually (being antigun) don't look at county by county and they don't look at if the crimes are committed by license holders. If asked about that - they get huffy. I wrote a piece about that to the local big paper. First editor said it was well done and sent it up stream, then crickets. They did have an op-ed praising Hochul's law and some idiot opposing letter claimed private guns stopped Yamamoto from invading Hollywood.

Now, will Thomas and Alito support an emergency appeal, support a TRO if one is issued by a lower court and trashed by the circuit? Answer - NO! The answer is one I saw in the clouds.
    Cloud Yeller of the Boomer Age

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    Is there any evidence that the crimes are being committed by permitted carriers? At conferences, an economist or sociologist/criminologist will look at crime figures and then the number of licenses/permits and say OMG. more licenses, more crimes. Two things, they usually (being antigun) don't look at county by county and they don't look at if the crimes are committed by license holders. If asked about that - they get huffy. I wrote a piece about that to the local big paper. First editor said it was well done and sent it up stream, then crickets. They did have an op-ed praising Hochul's law and some idiot opposing letter claimed private guns stopped Yamamoto from invading Hollywood.

Now, will Thomas and Alito support an emergency appeal, support a TRO if one is issued by a lower court and trashed by the circuit? Answer - NO! The answer is one I saw in the clouds.
    Firstly, what the NM Governor is trying to do is stupid.

But, looking inward at the gun community, there were 600 or so pistols stolen out of cars in Birmingham last year and that number has been hovering around 1,000 a year in Mobile AL since before covid. Legal ccw folks do seem to be doing their best keep the criminals supplied with firearms in these parts
    Last edited by Caballoflaco; 09-09-2023 at 09:43 AM.
    im strong, i can run faster than train

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    Firstly, what the NM Governor is trying to do is stupid.

But, looking inward at the gun community, there were 600 or so pistols stolen out of cars in Birmingham last year and that number has been hovering around 1,000 a year in Mobile AL since before covid. Legal ccw folks do seem to be doing their best keep the criminals supplied with firearms in these parts
    That's a good point. Several thoughts. In TX, awhile a survey found most CHLS (at the time) didn't carry - they just wanted a 'car gun'. Why? The Luby's massacre should have convinced them that a car gun was a bad idea. Same with the 'truck' gun.

Next, location bans sometimes forced folks to leave guns in cars. Folks with NRA stickers were prime targets in Austin years ago. Installing car lock boxes is a pain.

Most legal ccw types - feh.
    Cloud Yeller of the Boomer Age

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    That's a good point. Several thoughts. In TX, awhile a survey found most CHLS (at the time) didn't carry - they just wanted a 'car gun'. Why? The Luby's massacre should have convinced them that a car gun was a bad idea. Same with the 'truck' gun.
    Most folks looking for a car or truck gun think they're going to be the hero in their own version of Red Dawn or The Walking Dead, or they're going to use their CCW to fight their way to their car so they can go back and save the day with their carbine.

Chris

Site Supporter
    In Louisiana, prior to getting the concealed carry law passed, keeping a gun in your vehicle was legal. State law here holds that your vehicle is an extension of your habitation. Folks kept a gun in their vehicle because that was the best they could do. Some still do. There’s a gun in my vehicle any time I’m in it or if I’m somewhere I can’t carry and that’s it.
    "Everything in life is really simple, provided you don’t know a f—–g thing about it." - Kevin D. Williamson

For an order supposedly designed to improve public health, this sure seems like a great way to have state troopers die from lead toxicity.

This is one of those instances when individual cops need to decide their personal priorities - try enforce orders like this, or come home safe at night.
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

User Tag List