Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: USPSA Now Being Sued - Allegedly Not a Valid Corporation

While the named defendants may be the board members, the real defendants are all of us, the members of USPSA, as we will end up paying for this.

I have served on the boards of a number of non profit organizations, and not a single time have I had lawyers examine all the historical corporate filings to make sure everything was done to the letter of the law. A deep dive would likely turn up some defect in nearly every organization. Of all the faults of the USPSA board, some historical issue around by-laws or governance hardly seems worthy of condemning the current directors.

A single digit percentage of civil suits make it to trial, and those that do take years not months. Litigation is just a tool to get settlement leverage. The board has made a bunch of enemies and that is not helpful. Frankly I am surprised there hasn't been more litigation by banned members.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I wonder if USPSA actually has valid D&O insurance in place. They are so poorly governed by a bunch of folks who know nothing about such things it would not shock me if they were deficient on that count. I guess everybody will know that pretty soon.

The NRA had theirs canceled at one point, and that is pretty scary for the people on the board of an outfit with very limited assets.
    Support the Second Amendment Foundation and the Firearms Policy Coalition, join and give!

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    ...Frankly I am surprised there hasn't been more litigation by banned members.
    I'm surprised as well. The capricious and punitive "guilt by association" bans hardly seem like actions of a nonprofit required to act in the best interest of members.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I'm surprised as well. The capricious and punitive "guilt by association" bans hardly seem like actions of a nonprofit required to act in the best interest of members.
    Banning people turned them into forever enemies. The board (and organization) would have been much better off if they entered into agreements with Stoeger et al to continue their membership with an agreement to be supportive of USPSA. Of course when you have Troy, YML and the board at each other's throats, great decision making was unlikely.

Banning people turned them into forever enemies. The board (and organization) would have been much better off if they entered into agreements with Stoeger et al to continue their membership with an agreement to be supportive of USPSA. Of course when you have Troy, YML and the board at each other's throats, great decision making was unlikely.
    It's disappointing. Pretty much everyone involved seems to be more interested in themselves than in USPSA.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Banning people turned them into forever enemies. The board (and organization) would have been much better off if they entered into agreements with Stoeger et al to continue their membership with an agreement to be supportive of USPSA.
    Stoeger doesn't seem like the type of guy that would agree to that, at all.

So, if that dude got booted from an entity he says doesn't exist, what was the harm? Seems like the case would have more merit if he sued for being enticed to join to begin with.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

IANAL, but does anyone have a link to the actual text of the lawsuit that was filed?

The screen grab picture PSI posted on Instagram I think says "filed in Ohio", so is there someplace you can go to look that up?

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    IANAL, but does anyone have a link to the actual text of the lawsuit that was filed?

The screen grab picture PSI posted on Instagram I think says "filed in Ohio", so is there someplace you can go to look that up?
    Link posted on PSI just now. Downloadable (41M, 268 pages) here, Stark County Court of Common Pleas:

https://www.slideshare.net/Practical...2023-260739081

(Can read online, but must register for a Scribd account to download.)

I just read the complaint. With the caveat that a lawsuit is one side's version of events, this makes USPSA and its Board of Directors look very bad. At the least, this is going to be a significant distraction for the organization, and it may end up costing them a meaningful amount of money in legal fees and damages.

I am always amazed by the dumb things people put into writing.

Name:  IMG_4834.jpg
Views: 315
Size:  27.8 KB

User Tag List