Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: USPSA Now Being Sued - Allegedly Not a Valid Corporation

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I do too. And I want a USPSA BoD that supports fair competition, instead of treating the org like their private gun club. I've interacted at length with a couple of BoD members. They always seemed like such nice gentlemen. Then I read transcripts of the shit they said in private, or to members who've stepped out of line. These are not good people. They are not just looking out for the org, and protecting it from evil trolls. They are looking out for themselves and are covering their asses because they know they have done shady things.
    Another problem is that this club culture trickles down. Here one of our best shooter in the state was recently banned under very shady circumstances from our main range. Could not shoot state match that he probably would've won.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    Another problem is that this club culture trickles down. Here one of our best shooter in the state was recently banned under very shady circumstances from our main range. Could not shoot state match that he probably would've won.
    Ugh. That's terrible. Do you think it's a generational thing? It seems like the younger USPSA shooters don't embrace the Good-Old-Boy culture?
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Ugh. That's terrible. Do you think it's a generational thing?
    Totally. He's a younger dude who is a nonconformist and a free spirit. Club management is older dudes. Long standing clash.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Simply put, this could have all been avoided.

There are for-profit companies that specialize in managing the operations of NPOs. I guarantee you the annual amount spent on a management company is less than USPSA has already paid to settle past lawsuits and future lawsuits.

As the saying goes, "If you think a professional is expensive, wait until you see how much an amateur costs."

Site Supporter
    Skimmed the report - amazing how folks can take a relatively simple event, and flush the whole organization.
    Cloud Yeller of the Boomer Age

This sucks.

Members will be the ones that suffers the most from this. They are already bleeding money. Idk what it will take to change the culture of the board but the org has clearly gotten way too big for a good ole boys club to manage.

I find it hard to believe they did this on purpose (not paying taxes) but honestly the bans were BS and it seems they haven't learned from it.
    "Shooting is 90% mental. The rest is in your head." -Nils

What a mess. Let my membership lapse last year when I started hearing about this dumb crap by the BOD. If there were PCSL matches around here I’d probably start shooting those instead.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

I was having trouble finding the exhibits, so I made an index of them for my use. Attaching in case it helps someone else follow this through the system.

Name:  Screenshot from 2023-09-10 16-37-02.png
Views: 277
Size:  53.7 KB

Exhibit_Index.pdf

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    While the named defendants may be the board members, the real defendants are all of us, the members of USPSA, as we will end up paying for this.

I have served on the boards of a number of non profit organizations, and not a single time have I had lawyers examine all the historical corporate filings to make sure everything was done to the letter of the law. A deep dive would likely turn up some defect in nearly every organization. Of all the faults of the USPSA board, some historical issue around by-laws or governance hardly seems worthy of condemning the current directors.
    I was on the board of a small NPO. It wasn't hard to ensure that the biannual reports were made to the Secretary of State and that the by-laws were current. The treasurer stayed on top of the tax filings.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

I'm surprised as well. The capricious and punitive "guilt by association" bans hardly seem like actions of a nonprofit required to act in the best interest of members.
    Why would you pay a lot of money to sue a a shooting organization that kicked you out? Good, bad, meh, suing over that? I would only see that because your income comes from matches in some way.

User Tag List