Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Thread: USPSA Now Being Sued - Allegedly Not a Valid Corporation

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    It is normal if you want to discuss things you don't want others to know. This board apparently has a lot of things they want to discuss privately.
    The latest PTSG podcast with a3 and a7 area director's confirmed what everyone assumed reading the minutes. They didn't like what a3 did so they went in to executive session to yell at him. They then promptly removed him from his role on the financial committee.

It sucks the culture of the board is so bad. What sucks even more is that it's going to take people who volunteer their time (AD) to fix it. From the outside it seems the type of toxic culture you need a new CEO to change and that ain't happening because of the structure.
    "Shooting is 90% mental. The rest is in your head." -Nils

Within the past year, I have watched Xray.alpha’s Matt Pranka partner with Stoeger, teaching courses and doing podcasts that focus specifically on moving the bar higher in performance shooting.
    Both these guys were at the top of their professions, and now are trying to pass along their knowledge with brutally honest opinions, to whoever wants to listen.
    Yes, I get that their style offends many here, calling out some of the industries old guard, but I never got the sense that they are doing what they do for reasons other than pushing the boat way out, making everyone rethink what’s possible…elevating everyone.

People on this forum are sometimes berated when they question a forum subject matter expert, yet I can’t think of two names more fitting of being SME’s than Pranka and Stoeger. Stoeger and Pranka often chuckle hearing comments about themselves such as “toxic and decisive”. They don’t seem phased in the least, confident that they are doing what needs to be done.

I throughly enjoy their zero BS approach, methods, and teaching style, and feel fortunate that they are willing to to share their knowledge freely, even if that means they stand alone from the crowd.
    It doesn’t have to be fun to be fun ― Mark Twight

One way I can read those minutes is that there is an air of desperation and panic, directly caused by the lawsuit and impending discovery. I still wonder about the organization's D&O policy, and if that insurer is readily stepping up to the bat in this legal battle, especially for the current and former directors named. Or if as everything else that has been sloppily done, there is none, or it too expired.

All this drama over what goes on your IRS 990 is not something an organization with nothing to hide should exhibit.

This has clearly not been an organization that has followed good corporate governance practices, that is obvious from the lapse of their corporate standing in DE. It would seem they are not at all well prepared for this sort of stakeholder/member lawsuit.
    Support the Second Amendment Foundation and the Firearms Policy Coalition, join and give!

What does Ben's and Pranka's teaching have to do with this discussion? I paid for nearly a week of total class time with Ben. I think he may have the highest shooting intellect that I've seen. That's not even tangential to the discussion of USPSA's illnesses.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    What does Ben's and Pranka's teaching have to do with this discussion? I paid for nearly a week of total class time with Ben. I think he may have the highest shooting intellect that I've seen. That's not even tangential to the discussion of USPSA's illnesses.
    In other words, being a SME at technical shooting doesn't also make you a SME at organizational management. I am surprised Ben doesn't understand that.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Did I miss a memo? Is Ben Stoeger going to be the new defacto USPSA Dictator? The new group suing USPSA has an advisory board and conspicuously absent from it is Ben Stoeger.

Ben has always created noise wherever he goes. He's not the only one to stir shit up and make a name for himself, love you @jetfire - but c'mon man.

The problem people have with Ben is twofold. 1) His delivery. 2) That he is usually right. In this instance Ben has been right all along. Whatever "Ben's Vision" is for USPSA can be brought up at open business meetings when he is reinstated in the future. Or he can run for a board position and be elected.

In the mean time I think you guys are getting distracted from the broader point.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Or he can run for a board position and be elected.
    I wonder what prevented him from doing so when he was a member.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    2) That he is usually right. In this instance Ben has been right all along. Whatever "Ben's Vision" is for USPSA can be brought up at open business meetings when he is reinstated in the future. Or he can run for a board position and be elected.
    I think that's not the issue.

I could say "The US government is run by a bunch of incompetent people and they should just fire all of them and start over!!!"

And I'd be right...

But without a plan for how to create something better AND the man/womanpower to make that happen... it's less than worthless.

That's the situation I see.

Nobody disputes that the shenanigans are crappy. But what is the replacement going to look like without willing people to put in the work.

Like I said, someone can complain at how shitty the local club is run... but without someone willing to give their own blood, sweat and tears, you gots what you gots.

And Stoeger repeatedly has said that he's not willing to put in the effort to make it better. So being "right" in this case isn't helpful or useful.

And you could make the case that all the disruption could have negative effects at functional improvement. Without the lawsuits, would A3 director have been able to help more? Maybe. But now with circling the wagons, who knows what it's going to be in the future.

I get the sense that Ben would be gloating and happy if USPSA failed and crumbled. He's not invested it seems, into making it better.

I hope the lawsuit is fully funded and goes forward. It should.

DME sold nearly $20K worth of manufacturer-supplied goods for personal profit, and the Board circled the wagons. The Board has documented their own stockpiles of manufacturer-donated ammo and freebies, but most continue to refuse to publish their conflicts of interest when demanded, as required. The Board upended the President position in order to put in a "highly qualified" Managing Director... whose recent business experience appeared to be hosting MLM sale parties at an Area Director's house. The budgets for the org continue to run deficits with no changes in self-interested behavior. The Board failed to do the most basic of corporate operations, annual reports, allowing the org's rights to its name and legal standing lapse for years (and they blame the registered agent, despite this being a routine part of running a business). The Board denied the chair of the financial committee access to historical financials, and when he made an off-agenda motion (which was denied for being off-agenda), he was removed from the committee (by off-agenda motion). Not to mention the Cameo fiasco that, regardless of your position on stupid laws, was absolutely reckless with respect to protecting 501(c)(3) status.

The problems are not just the personal spats and character insults (hot dogs, lick-a-thons, domestic abuse, co-opting non-USPSA media outlets that advertise with the organization to publish provably false statements, etc.). The real problems are corporate governance issues that require corporate governance solutions.

There doesn't need to be grandiose change. Competent turnaround management/CROs right bigger ships all the time. There should be a CRO or TM put in place to fix the deficit spending issues, create SOPs that ensure the ByLaws are followed, and ensure transparent non-profit management.
    Well, you may be a man. You may be a leprechaun. Only one thing’s for sure… you’re in the wrong basement.

I’m hoping that when the next election cycles come around, someone does targeted voter information and campaigning to the areas. Like emailing and post carding active members in the voting region.

User Tag List