Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: USPSA Now Being Sued - Allegedly Not a Valid Corporation

Quote Originally Posted by Zincwarrior View Post
    Why would you pay a lot of money to sue a a shooting organization that kicked you out? Good, bad, meh, suing over that? I would only see that because your income comes from matches in some way.
    I think partially to be reinstated in said sport (which is part of the suit) AND to do it with a big “fuck you and kiss my ass.”

Site Supporter
    Note to self - never be an officer in a gun organization. I was asked to be VP of IDPA/USPSA club. Said NO. Later the club divided between the two factions and good riddance to them. Found plenty of other options every weekend.
    Cloud Yeller of the Boomer Age

Why would you pay a lot of money to sue a a shooting organization that kicked you out? Good, bad, meh, suing over that? I would only see that because your income comes from matches in some way.
    I'd consider suing to be reinstated if banned. USPSA means a lot to me, and I've never made a cent from it.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Well, if I am honest, it is more complicated than it may seem. USPSA has mismanaged practical shooting in the USA for ~10'ish years.

BUT it hasn't been enough, to cost them their IPSC Affiliation. IPSC only recognizes ONE affiliate org in the United States. That org gets to define who represents Team USA in IPSC. That affiliation basically determines who is the practical shooting organization in the single biggest shooting culture on the planet.

If say, folks had enough of USPSA's bullshit and started their own league, they might call it the Practical Competition Shooting League, to grow your org and make it the premier org in the USA, you'd really want that IPSC Affiliation. If you were to find the skeletons on the USPSA closet, you could wrestle that IPSC Affiliation away.

That PCSL's board, bylaws, and sponsors are in-process of being constructed should probably be a clue. If we were to discover that say...Infinity is a founding sponsor and Infinity Team Shooter Joe was a board member...

That's my working hypothesis of one of the main reasons for this lawsuit. The other is to fuck over USPSA BOD who have been assholes and gotten away for it for too long.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    Note to self - never be an officer in a gun organization. I was asked to be VP of IDPA/USPSA club. Said NO. Later the club divided between the two factions and good riddance to them. Found plenty of other options every weekend.
    Responsible, who wants to be responsible? Whenever something bad happens, it's always, 'who's responsible for this?'
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    I think partially to be reinstated in said sport (which is part of the suit) AND to do it with a big “fuck you and kiss my ass.”
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Well, if I am honest, it is more complicated than it may seem. USPSA has mismanaged practical shooting in the USA for ~10'ish years.

BUT it hasn't been enough, to cost them their IPSC Affiliation. IPSC only recognizes ONE affiliate org in the United States. That org gets to define who represents Team USA in IPSC. That affiliation basically determines who is the practical shooting organization in the single biggest shooting culture on the planet.

If say, folks had enough of USPSA's bullshit and started their own league, they might call it the Practical Competition Shooting League, to grow your org and make it the premier org in the USA, you'd really want that IPSC Affiliation. If you were to find the skeletons on the USPSA closet, you could wrestle that IPSC Affiliation away.

That PCSL's board, bylaws, and sponsors are in-process of being constructed should probably be a clue. If we were to discover that say...Infinity is a founding sponsor and Infinity Team Shooter Joe was a board member...

That's my working hypothesis of one of the main reasons for this lawsuit. The other is to fuck over USPSA BOD who have been assholes and gotten away for it for too long.
    I dropped my membership in USPSA because I wanted to shoot not listen to squabbles over rules, it was like shooting with a bunch of lawyers who are looking for a reason to object (DQ) you.

But, I am following this out of morbid curiosity.

I don't know 'Poppa Joe' from Adam, but I think you guys are missing, to me, a key motivator: simply to make things right, and better for those who follow. Kind of the good citizen thing who get's involved because he can afford to and other folks impacted don't have the resources he has.

As I said, I don't know the guy and could be completely off base.
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Lehr View Post
    I dropped my membership in USPSA because I wanted to shoot not listen to squabbles over rules, it was like shooting with a bunch of lawyers who are looking for a reason to object (DQ) you.

But, I am following this out of morbid curiosity.

I don't know 'Poppa Joe' from Adam, but I think you guys are missing, to me, a key motivator: simply to make things right, and better for those who follow. Kind of the good citizen thing who get's involved because he can afford to and other folks impacted don't have the resources he has.

As I said, I don't know the guy and could be completely off base.
    I would be willing to stand out on that limb with you Dan. I think Joe wants the sport to be better. I'd be willing to wager my paycheck that so do people like Stoeger, Derek (PSI), and the other "Howler Monkeys" that have been hound-dogging USPSA for a few years now. They want the organization to be upstanding and represent the shooters, not line the pockets of a few good old boys.

The challenge, I think, is that the damage is done to USPSA and it may not ultimately be salvageable as the premier practical shooting league. Getting that coveted IPSC Affiliation away from USPSA would be a huge step in allowing a new organization to take the reins and begin anew. If you felt that the organization was not able to be saved or simply had too many existing liabilities, this would be a logical path.

That maybe you sue them into oblivion, get the IPSC Affiliation, and then buy the remainder of the corpse after the dust settles (like Steel Challenge, etc) is a very practical and pragmatic way to both exact a bit of revenge AND leave the sport in a better way. Think of it as a bit of a hostile takeover with more honorable intentions.

At least, that's what I like to think is going on as I watch this unfold. I have no reason to believe that guys like Joe, Stoeger, Derek, etc. truly benefit from the 'drama' as the USPSA BOD likes to say they do. In fact, from talking with Derek, I think he finds this whole thing utterly exhausting. He has no interest in practical shooting anymore that I can see and would probably like this to all go away. But he keeps doing what is doing, because he thinks it's the correct thing to do. Plus, he probably gets some joy (as we all do) from having been right about it all along.

@RevolverRob it sounds like you know Derek personally? Those are some helpful insights!

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    In fact, from talking with Derek, I think he finds this whole thing utterly exhausting. He has no interest in practical shooting anymore that I can see and would probably like this to all go away.
    Completely understandable. Something that's fun and done for enjoyment gets unfun really fast when you have to get attorney's involved. Hell, I lost interest just from watching this multi-year shit show from afar.

ETA: And I really liked shooting the matches. Went to several Areas and one Nats.

The interesting part, if you didn't watch the influencers, would you know about any of the nonsense? I have found in many volunteer, well any orgs, that if you don't pay attention to the snark between insiders, life is better.

I just want an org that maintains a good rules set, a good classification system, promotes the sport, and is not expensive to be a member of. I don't care about the sponsor shirt crowd bitching, GM infighting, who said what, etc.

User Tag List