Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bergara Rifles

Bergara Rifles

What is the consensus on Bergara rifles? I've heard some folks say they are a "cheaper Rem 700". Are they lower grade than a 700?

What is cheaper about them? I'm assuming lower quality?

Thanks.

I would take a begara over a newer model Remington every day of the week and twice on Sunday. Not so sure about the brand new Remington's however. Haven't seen enough info on them to make a decision.

Bergara has several different product lines ranging from more budget oriented to some pretty expensive stuff. I've always been impressed with everything I've purchased from them. I would consider them as well as Tikka to be the rifles I would recommend for basic, always work, low nonsense guns.

The 700 action is a pretty good one but Remington had some legal problems with the trigger. I'm sure Bergara addressed that, or I hope they did. I looked at a 700 a few years ago when I wanted to build a precision rifle. It truly looked like a project from a 6th grade class. Nothing fit. I was going to restock it anyway but what other surprises were lurking in the bolt and barrel. I ended up with a Howa 1500 barreled action.

Tikka isn't a bad choice either but the one I wanted is pixy dust.
    Last edited by Borderland; 09-08-2023 at 09:11 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Rack View Post
    What is the consensus on Bergara rifles? I've heard some folks say they are a "cheaper Rem 700". Are they lower grade than a 700?

What is cheaper about them? I'm assuming lower quality?

Thanks.
    They are not cheaper than Remington 700s.

The Bergara is a clone of the Remington 700. One of many Remington 700 clones in the market.

IME Bergara’s are better quality than anything Remington produced in the last 10-15 years.

Thanks for all the info. I’m very familiar with the 700s and M70s. I also like the Tikkas. I’m looking at a couple of calibers that Tikka only chambers in shorter barrels, so am broadening my search.

Am also looking at M70s, but don’t know if the current Portuguese made M70s are as good as the older ones? They also don’t seem to be in a hurry to produce rifles.

Am considering a .300 Win Mag with a 26” barrel, a .243 with a 24” barrel and a .22-250 with a 26” barrel. Not all at once, just weighing options at this point. Tikka seems stuck on 20” and 22” models for a lot of models. They have a “23.7” barrel for the .300 WM that I may end up settling for. I don’t know if Bergara has these lengths, yet. Just haven’t looked at them very closely.

I see that Remington lists some of the barrel lengths on their “new” M700s, but don’t know how these models compare to the older ones (from the 80s and 90s).

Quote Originally Posted by Rack View Post
    Thanks for all the info. I’m very familiar with the 700s and M70s. I also like the Tikkas. I’m looking at a couple of calibers that Tikka only chambers in shorter barrels, so am broadening my search.

Am also looking at M70s, but don’t know if the current Portuguese made M70s are as good as the older ones? They also don’t seem to be in a hurry to produce rifles.

Am considering a .300 Win Mag with a 26” barrel, a .243 with a 24” barrel and a .22-250 with a 26” barrel. Not all at once, just weighing options at this point. Tikka seems stuck on 20” and 22” models for a lot of models. They have a “23.7” barrel for the .300 WM that I may end up settling for. I don’t know if Bergara has these lengths, yet. Just haven’t looked at them very closely.

I see that Remington lists some of the barrel lengths on their “new” M700s, but don’t know how these models compare to the older ones (from the 80s and 90s).
    Just fyi & I am not sure this is pertinent to your situation. I just bought a new Tikka 243 Roughtech Ember. If you are interested in shooting heavy for caliber bullets Tikka has been introducing barrels with a faster than traditional twist rates to make sure those rounds are adequately stabilized.

Of my very limited experience with Bergara, which consists of owning a BMR in 22WMR and checking a few out at the gun counter I am pretty impressed. Seems they offer a really good value with some really nice features.

http://www.bergarausa.com/Ed-Shilen-...ra-Barrels.php

Ed Shilen, of Shilen Barrels, consulted to Bergara on how to make accurate barrels. I think it helped them.

I know the Rem 700 and clones have a lot of after market accessories and support.
    Last edited by DamonL; 09-09-2023 at 07:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JimLob65 View Post
    Just fyi & I am not sure this is pertinent to your situation. I just bought a new Tikka 243 Roughtech Ember. If you are interested in shooting heavy for caliber bullets Tikka has been introducing barrels with a faster than traditional twist rates to make sure those rounds are adequately stabilized.

Of my very limited experience with Bergara, which consists of owning a BMR in 22WMR and checking a few out at the gun counter I am pretty impressed. Seems they offer a really good value with some really nice features.
    Yeah, that’s what I did like about the Tikka - the faster twist option for .243. It wouldn’t be the end of the world if I couldn’t get that, but would be nice. I figure I could re-barrel with a faster barrel after the .243 is shot out (they don’t last a real long time).

Quote Originally Posted by DamonL View Post
    http://www.bergarausa.com/Ed-Shilen-...ra-Barrels.php

Ed Shilen, of Shilen Barrels, consulted to Bergara on how to make accurate barrels. I think it helped them.

I know the Rem 700 and clones have a lot of after market accessories and support.
    I have read that they are fairly accurate. I like that they are similar to a 700, but have read they differ in a few areas. I don’t remember what those areas are at the moment.

I read somewhere that Bergara used to have a problem with a cast part breaking, but later fixed that. I think it was a part on the bolt? Maybe the bolt shroud, don’t remember. That made me wonder about the rest of the rifle. I haven’t run across many negative reports, other than a few comments about them being “a cheap 700 clone”.

Part of me keeps thinking about a project of buying a 700 clone receiver and bolt and assembling the rest of the rifle with a pre-fit barrel, stock, bottom metal, trigger, etc. It would cost a good but more than a complete rifle, though and it probably wouldn’t be as accurate with me behind the project!

Thanks again.

Unlike Remington, Bergara acts like a company that is all about building quality rifles, and understands that their future depends on it.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List