Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Like 3 Little Fonzies: How to be cool under the gun

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    I love your content, both here and on the Warrior Poet subscription!

Can you clarify that we're talking about slow and steady when someone has a gun pointed at you and are focused on you, correct?

That's correct. When someone has you under focus and you want to draw a gun literally while they are looking at you, there are two things you have to do: slow down their reaction time and split their attention.

Slowing down reaction time is best accommodated with language as it applies friction to motor processes.

"DUUUDEI'llgiveyouwhateveryouwantjustdon'tshootmeI 'vegotkidsPLEEEEASE!!!"

Noise. Keep it up. His mind is trying to make sense of what you're saying. The transition out of him listening to getting a shot off is upping now by quarter seconds.

Splitting his attention.

"Gimme that money homie"

"Bro I got a wallet, a Rolex and cash, which one first? Left hand or right hand?"

Make him think of multiple things at once. Force decisions on him.

Finally patterning him with benign motion works well if you can set it up.

I take off my watch and give it to him.

I steadily withdraw my key fob and give it to him

I look absent minded and scared and mumble "Oh yeah" as I reach into my back pocket, retrieve my wallet and give it to him.

Finally I say "Oh yeah my iPhone" as I reach into my pocket steadily, retrieve my J frame and give him a face full of wadcutters.

It takes longer for me to write it than it does for me to do it.

One more thing I do is have an active moving fence/hand position that incorporates elements of deliberate misdirection. You see good sleight of hand guys doing this and if you watch video from Apollo Robbins on Youtube you can see the best guy in the world at this literally take your watch off your wrist while he's talking to you.

You can't be disrespectful when you do this and the objective is to look compliant and oafish. You can't irritate him either. Emotional intelligence, verbal agility, and social literacy are the key factors in this being successful, not draw speed.

It's a dope deal. Because buying dope is about selling yourself.

There's no Dot-Torture, 5x5, or any live fire training analog for acquiring this skill.
    Last edited by SouthNarc; 09-07-2023 at 07:14 AM.

I love your content, both here and on the Warrior Poet subscription!
    On that note I demo elements of some of this on the gun disarm portion of Reality of Criminal Assault at WPSN.

I may just be internet fantasizing, but I've always liked pocket revolvers for the option of being able to fire from inside the pocket without jamming.
    Ehhh....-ish.

Firing from a pocket means zero visual referencing of the gun. The only time zero visual referencing of the pistol is appropriate IMO is at contact distance and what we use to insure that we hit a person at wingspan is a retention position built with multiple tactile, repeatable indices ala' the thumb/pectoral index.

Anything outside of wingspan and the gun should be visually referenced in a spectrum of what we could think of as coarse to fine, which is based on appropriate extension to proximity of threat ultimately leading to our irons or dot in our eyeline.

So if you're shooting from a pocket at contact distance without repeatable tactile indices, or you are shooting outside of wingspan from a pocket, what you're relying on is your natural proprioceptive abilities to hit the target as they correlate to a cramped weird, close to the body, blind position that probably doesn't match any pointing motion you've ever actually made.

Can you pull it off? Maybe? Super subjective IMO and not something that's teachable or warrants being included in a curriculum.

I referenced Apollo Robbins as a master of sleight of hand and deliberate misdirection.

Watch these two videos and think about this skill applied to drawing a gun right in front of someone.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    To follow up on what Craig is talking about:

Edit - Craig posted it while I was looking it up, LOL.

Good thing about youtube is you can play video at half and quarter speed and then see exactly how it's being done. Good lessons there, especially when you think about a bad guy's ability to observe and process under stress.

Of course, the flip side to that coin is you have to have sufficient emotional control when facing the bad guy sticking a gun in your face to stay ahead of his "Frank". But that's where understanding the situation, having a plan, and having worked through that plan prior to the moment comes into play.

Craig just outlined how to sell a draw right in front of a dude. You habituate his brain to expecting you to hand over your shit and when you start "handing over" some wadcutters just like you did with the key fob it's going to take him longer to process that he's not seeing a phone in your hand and by the time his brain goes "wait, what's that?" you're already on the trigger. Not due to raw speed, but exploiting his elongated reactionary gap.

We notice things that don't fit with our expectations. Craig's method built an expectation and the draw has to match that expectation or it grabs "Frank's" attention.
    Last edited by TCinVA; 09-07-2023 at 08:19 AM.
    3/15/2016

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post

Of course, the flip side to that coin is you have to have sufficient emotional control when facing the bad guy sticking a gun in your face to stay ahead of his "Frank".

Jules said it best.

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post

Craig just outlined how to sell a draw right in front of a dude. You habituate his brain to expecting you to hand over your shit and when you start "handing over" some wadcutters just like you did with the key fob it's going to take him longer to process that he's not seeing a phone in your hand and by the time his brain goes "wait, what's that?" you're already on the trigger. Not due to raw speed, but exploiting his elongated reactionary gap.

We notice things that don't fit with our expectations. Craig's method built an expectation and the draw has to match that expectation or it grabs "Frank's" attention.

CoRRECTaMUNDO!!

Site Supporter
    SN first got on my radar at a TAC Con in 2009 where he did an abbreviated Managing Unknown Contacts. His Omega (2254 IIRC) also inspired me to buy mine, albeit a GMT version.

My defensive “fence”, off angle movement patterns, “tapes” I now play with folks out in the world and full realization about how much safer I can be if I am just a half step back from someone are now a daily part of my life in a way that they were not before in any meaningful way. ( The quoted terms are the words I used to internalize SN’s ideas. Apologies if I am using different words than are part of SN’s curriculum, then or now.)

His stuff is pure platinum.

We have spoken a few times in person at TacCons since over the years and on this forum re fashion/watches because until I train with him live again, I lack much to say other than the diamond encrusted nugget he just gave us re drawing against the drop was gleaned out of 20 + years of doing the work live and in living color.

Be safe and well.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthNarc View Post
    Jules said it best.

Quoting myself on this video.

Granted this is a movie but this is actually a good representation of several things I'm talking about.

Ringo is looking in the case when Jules makes his move. Attention is diverted.

Jules doesn't actually move fast when he grabs Ringo's pistol and sticks his gun under his chin.

He also does a really good job of being "carrot and stick" with the speed and volume of his voice in keeping Yolanda from panic firing while holding Ringo at gunpoint.

Again...Fiction (pun intended) but that's pretty close to how I'd do the same thing in real life.

Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post
    SN first got on my radar at a TAC Con in 2009 where he did an abbreviated Managing Unknown Contacts. His Omega (2254 IIRC) also inspired me to buy mine, albeit a GMT version.

My defensive “fence”, off angle movement patterns, “tapes” I now play with folks out in the world and full realization about how much safer I can be if I am just a half step back from someone are now a daily part of my life in a way that they were not before in any meaningful way. ( The quoted terms are the words I used to internalize SN’s ideas. Apologies if I am using different words than are part of SN’s curriculum, then or now.)

His stuff is pure platinum.

We have spoken a few times in person at TacCons since over the years and on this forum re fashion/watches because until I train with him live again, I lack much to say other than the diamond encrusted nugget he just gave us re drawing against the drop was gleaned out of 20 + years of doing the work live and in living color.

Be safe and well.
    Thanks buddy, always time well spent with you.

User Tag List