Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Like 3 Little Fonzies: How to be cool under the gun

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by feudist View Post
    RE: speed, attention and telegraphing a movement...

That was good
    im strong, i can run faster than train

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    So yesterday I was at the range with John Murphy test running changes to his visually-initiated decision making exercises. We were joined by an active duty deputy in the area on his day off who was mainly observing to pick up some instructor-y tidbits for himself and his troops.

One of the exercises is framed as "His eyes are upon you" meaning dude is standing there right in front of you, gun aimed at you, demanding you run your pockets. This is the "earn your draw" exercise. With two trained people watching...fully expecting me to produce a gun...I worked through "Yeah, man, here's my keys. You want my phone? I'll give you my phone" and my right hand went into my pocket.

Both men were standing off to my right side. They had full view.

Both said they had no idea that what I was actually "handing" the target in front of me was a Ruger LCP until I was already pulling the trigger. Both were quite shocked. This was not a fast draw, but it was done with sufficient sneakiness that they didn't grok WTF was up until I was at the point of firing the pistol. They really did think I was mimicking handing my shit over just like I had done with the car key I dropped on the ground a couple of moments before. I consider this a valid test. Two dudes expecting a gun didn't expect that gun that way and the gap between their expectations and my actions was wide enough to fit a slow, careful draw and two shots through. Some dipshit on the internet could try to argue that Craig's demo with Scottie is rigged, but this real life opportunity most certainly wasn't and it was spectacularly successful.

Now there's a little bit of art in how I drew the little pistol that helps with maintaining the illusion, but the point is that the strategy is sound. Pair it with some work on artful presentation and odds are the dude foolish enough to threaten your life will probably take a .32-.35 caliber bullet right in the face before he even understands it's a fight.

Earlier Craig posted a link to an LCP airsoft gun...meaning you can train this at home with zero rounds expended and get very good with it. It is most definitely a niche technique in the same way that a tourniquet is a niche piece of medical gear. But when you find you need it, nothing else will do.
    Last edited by TCinVA; 11-19-2023 at 11:33 AM.
    3/15/2016

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    So yesterday I was at the range with John Murphy test running changes to his visually-initiated decision making exercises. We were joined by an active duty deputy in the area on his day off who was mainly observing to pick up some instructor-y tidbits for himself and his troops.

One of the exercises is framed as "His eyes are upon you" meaning dude is standing there right in front of you, gun aimed at you, demanding you run your pockets. This is the "earn your draw" exercise. With two trained people watching...fully expecting me to produce a gun...I worked through "Yeah, man, here's my keys. You want my phone? I'll give you my phone" and my right hand went into my pocket.

Both men were standing off to my right side. They had full view.

Both said they had no idea that what I was actually "handing" the target in front of me was a Ruger LCP until I was already pulling the trigger. Both were quite shocked. This was not a fast draw, but it was done with sufficient sneakiness that they didn't grok WTF was up until I was at the point of firing the pistol. They really did think I was mimicking handing my shit over just like I had done with the car key I dropped on the ground a couple of moments before. I consider this a valid test. Two dudes expecting a gun didn't expect that gun that way and the gap between their expectations and my actions was wide enough to fit a slow, careful draw and two shots through. Some dipshit on the internet could try to argue that Craig's demo with Scottie is rigged, but this real life opportunity most certainly wasn't and it was spectacularly successful.

Now there's a little bit of art in how I drew the little pistol that helps with maintaining the illusion, but the point is that the strategy is sound. Pair it with some work on artful presentation and odds are the dude foolish enough to threaten your life will probably take a .32-.35 caliber bullet right in the face before he even understands it's a fight.

Earlier Craig posted a link to an LCP airsoft gun...meaning you can train this at home with zero rounds expended and get very good with it. It is most definitely a niche technique in the same way that a tourniquet is a niche piece of medical gear. But when you find you need it, nothing else will do.

Well done Tim!

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    Some dipshit on the internet could try to argue that Craig's demo with Scottie is rigged, but this real life opportunity most certainly wasn't and it was spectacularly successful.
    Full disclosure Scotty had no idea what I was gonna do and I actually told him that I was gonna demo compliance. If you look at his physical reaction the first iteration before I actually explained what I was doing, his surprise is quite real.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthNarc View Post
    Here's a video where I demo cognitive loading and attention splitting as it applies to a gun disarm. Same principles apply to a pocket draw with a dude looking at you.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CQGQ3ggH...RlODBiNWFlZA==
    Very informative. Thanks, @SouthNarc.

Site Supporter
    While we're kinda sorta discussing airsoft's, has anyone found one for a P365 X-Macro?

Quote Originally Posted by Up1911Fan View Post
    While we're kinda sorta discussing airsoft's, has anyone found one for a P365 X-Macro?
    Only standard p365 unf

User Tag List