Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Like 3 Little Fonzies: How to be cool under the gun

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    Attachment 109281

The 0.8 second pocket draw is a tool.

Just like a 0.8 second concealed AIWB draw or a 0.6s open holster snoop draw.

Absolutely.

You don’t break it out indiscriminately.
    But people probably will because of the reward effect.

Everyone right now that's been practicing drawing a small revolver from their pocket has absolutely patted themselves on the back at how prepared they are because they can shoot a USPSA target in the face with their hand staged on the gun in less than a second. Since Darryl did that video there have been at least ten dudes I've seen mimicking the trick on video. Because it looks and feels good.

I've yet to see anyone at the very least trying same said trick on a role player in opposed experiential training under a verbal task load in some rough semblance of a robbery context. It's absolutely doable. I've pulled a Seeamp LWS 32 out of a pocket holster and held it under a downward angled clipboard right in front of a guy suspected of shooting up a house that I was questioning as a uniformed officer. Talked to him for a good 15 minutes with a gun in my hand that he never saw. I did that because he was sitting on a porch in a shitty wicker love-seat thing and kept eyeballing a clothes hamper to his right. He actually shifted TO his right a bit and then to the edge of the love-seat. I didn't feel I was quite at a wing-span search yet so I pivoted a bit to my right, drew the Seecamp out of the back pocket holster it was riding in with my right hand, and used the clipboard in my left as a visual barrier to mask the draw. I've also done the same thing in demonstration in LE classes with magazines and newspapers.

So...is that skill or tactics?

Is artifice a skill or tactic?

Is guile a skill or a tactic?

Is deception a skill or a tactic?

Because these two sentences.....

Skill without tactics is worthless.

Tactics without skill is worthless.
    Are fairly worthless sound-bytes absent context.

0.8 second pocket draw might be something to utilize if someone is charging at you from 7 yards and actively brandishing a knife (perhaps? I’m not a self defense expert)
    Yes. I think a sub second draw from a pocket on a dude charging with a knife 7 yards away is absolutely a thing.
    Last edited by SouthNarc; 09-09-2023 at 12:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MickAK View Post
    Marsellus Wallace's soul. That's why he has two Band-Aids on the back of his neck.

Ahhh! Okay! I never put the two together!

What do you think about the DCON hoodie for this application? Is it an advantage or do you think sliding your hands in a hoodie pocket is too threatening? I've made my own for awhile but I don't think I really look that casual staging the draw.
    I like Rhett's hoodie and again...life's a dope deal. If you can sell sliding your hand in your hoodie pocket, it'll work.

Here's a video where I demo cognitive loading and attention splitting as it applies to a gun disarm. Same principles apply to a pocket draw with a dude looking at you.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CQGQ3ggH...RlODBiNWFlZA==

Again, I suggest that the average Joe or Suzy Homemaker has more to learn from undercover (not plainclothes) cops and intelligence officers under than they do from going to classes kitted up with a plate carrier an a carbine.

I really appreciate this thread.

Speaking of NOCs, I recently learned that during the Moscow Rules days, CIA contracted with stage magicians to see how sleight of hand, misdirection and illusion tactics could be applied to working the street and doing things like brush passes, dead drops, breaking surveillance without LOOKING like they were breaking surveillance and things like that.

Penn and Teller have a series on Masterclass about sleight of hand I’m going to watch this winter to see if I can learn anything useful.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthNarc View Post
    Here's a video where I demo cognitive loading and attention splitting as it applies to a gun disarm. Same principles apply to a pocket draw with a dude looking at you.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CQGQ3ggH...RlODBiNWFlZA==

When I practiced gun disarms I used to lead with a non-sequiter like “hey is that Elvis over there?” Before going for it.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

So here's a question?

Is knowing when to go fast and when to not go fast (notice I didn't say SLOW) a skill?

If so just where and when do we practice this skill?

Do we put the same amount of time into this skill as we do the skills of marksmanship and gun-handling?

Where are the log-books kept for this skill by shooters?

Site Supporter
    It works both ways, too.

My agency just started hiring recruits again, after a very long time hiring laterals only.

Using radio traffic on traffic stops as an exaple, one of the things that takes these newbies forever to learn is difference being sooner on the radio, rather than faster on the radio. Most new guys see a violation, get up behind the vehicle, turn on their overheads, call dispatch, then try to give location and plate as the driver stops. It can be like listening to the Chipmunks' Christmas album on 78rpm...On a very low stress traffic stop. You can hear them rev up as the get a little overwhelmed by everything they are trying to remember to do.

I demo see the violation, grab the mic, ensure you know here you are, make the initial call to dispatch then hit the overheads with the hand holding the mic. By the time the driver stops I am usually finishing calling out the stop.

Small steps, thinking ahead, processing as you go in an attempt to reduce your cognitive load while accomplishing what needs to be done.

Another thing I teach is to challenge someone you use "Police! Don't Move!". The initial challenge covers my identity and gives a lawful order. Then I can guage compliance. If I get compliance, or even indifference, I can slow myself down and think about what my next command should be. Allows clear, nonconflicting commands, and allows me to reconsider/reevaluate comms with other officers and positioning.

Only partially relevant, but what I immediately thought of, since I literally had both of those discussions earlier this week.

pat

Site Supporter
    Oops, double tap.

pat

Quote Originally Posted by UNM1136 View Post
    It works both ways, too.

My agency just started hiring recruits again, after a very long time hiring laterals only.

Using radio traffic on traffic stops as an exaple, one of the things that takes these newbies forever to learn is difference being sooner on the radio, rather than faster on the radio. Most new guys see a violation, get up behind the vehicle, turn on their overheads, call dispatch, then try to give location and plate as the driver stops. It can be like listening to the Chipmunks' Christmas album on 78rpm...On a very low stress traffic stop. You can hear them rev up as the get a little overwhelmed by everything they are trying to remember to do.

I demo see the violation, grab the mic, ensure you know here you are, make the initial call to dispatch then hit the overheads with the hand holding the mic. By the time the driver stops I am usually finishing calling out the stop.

Small steps, thinking ahead, processing as you go in an attempt to reduce your cognitive load while accomplishing what needs to be done.

Another thing I teach is to challenge someone you use "Police! Don't Move!". The initial challenge covers my identity and gives a lawful order. Then I can guage compliance. If I get compliance, or even indifference, I can slow myself down and think about what my next command should be. Allows clear, nonconflicting commands, and allows me to reconsider/reevaluate comms with other officers and positioning.

Only partially relevant, but what I immediately thought of, since I literally had both of those discussions earlier this week.

pat
    Very relevant Pat in the meta sense of this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthNarc View Post
    So here's a question?

Is knowing when to go fast and when to not go fast (notice I didn't say SLOW) a skill?

If so just where and when do we practice this skill?

Do we put the same amount of time into this skill as we do the skills of marksmanship and gun-handling?

Where are the log-books kept for this skill by shooters?
    How to practice it would be my question.

Learning it is one thing, repping it is the trick. Hence the attraction of speed in pistol practice, since it's a metric you can work on solo.

User Tag List