Thread: Optics for H&K MP5 and Steyr AUG A3 M1 3x: Alternatives to the Aimpoint T2?

Site Supporter

Optics for H&K MP5 and Steyr AUG A3 M1 3x: Alternatives to the Aimpoint T2?

With my newfound inability to use iron sights, I'm trying to top as many guns of mine with optics as possible. Two I'm having trouble deciding on are my HK MP5 (SP5) and my AUG A3 M1. The Steyr already has the factory 3x optic on it, and I'm wanting to piggy-back a small red dot on top of it.

So far I'm leaning towards the Aimpoint T2, just because I have experience with them, but I really don't know about Holosun or other options. The Holosun 403/503/515/530 appear to have the same mounting footprint, but I'm not sure. For the Steyr, I would need as low a picatinny mount as possible, for the HK a lower 3rd mount might be preferable.

Steyr needs:
    1. *Low* Picatinny mount
    2. Small & lightweight
    3. Reliable
    4. Useable as backup and close range/low-light

HK needs:
    1. Mounting to Midwest Industries MLOK top rail (unless other recommendations given)
    2. Small & Lightweight
    3. Reliable
    4. Useable as main optic at all practical distances

Other possibilities (mounting solutions pending)
    1. Aimpoint ACRO
    2. Holosun AEMS
    3. Holosun 509

So, any recommendations for optics and mounting solutions are welcome. Thanks in advance,

Jason

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    I have an APC9, which is kinda like an MP5.

I opted for a Trijicon MRO, just because I already had one. So I'd think a T2 or similar should be fine. I tried several setups, and the smaller "pistol" optics (RMR, ACRO) seemed too small, and the larger (Eotech) optics were perfectly fine but a rather inelegant setup.

I have the MI rail on my MP5 clone and the Eotech 512 has been on there for over a decade, I have never been inspired to switch it out for anything else. Works very well in my case. I guess it is now old school and not cool. If I had to change it I would probably opt for a 30mm Aimpoint verison.

I had an Aug A3 for about a decade and recently sold it, the Aimpoint 30mm tribe worked best for me there, I think it had a Comp M4 when I sold it. I have nothing against the T-2 design, but a bigger more open window with "more information" has always been more appealing to me on those particular rifles.
    Support the Second Amendment Foundation and the Firearms Policy Coalition, join and give!

A new-ish option that's out there for the MP5:

http://www.celtarms.com/products/inf...8-760018f469d5

Edit to add: they have a Micro version, as well.

Site Supporter Notorious E.O.C.'s Avatar
    Edit: Brain malfunction; didn't read closely enough on AUG requirements. This post was shit, mods can delete.
    Last edited by Notorious E.O.C.; 09-07-2023 at 06:50 PM.
    The way we do science in XCOM is basically by shooting things first.
    - Jake Solomon

User Tag List