Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Greg Ellifritz: Surviving Burning Man

Quote Originally Posted by fatdog View Post
    A trip to our local, very rural, Dollar General on Saturday is as close to Burning Man as I care to experience at this point.

You would probably have to live in rural LA, AR, AL, FL panhandle or MS to fully understand what I am talking about.

I do however have a plan to become a minor despot in the general area of extreme NE Shelby County/extreme SE St. Clair County, Alabama at some point if we ever hit the big meltdown.
    I consider a weekly trip to Dollar General an essential part of mindset training, situational awareness and Zen.

It balances One Life, One Arrow and "Valhalla I am Coming!!!"

A trip to our local, very rural, Dollar General on Saturday is as close to Burning Man as I care to experience at this point.

You would probably have to live in rural LA, AR, AL, FL panhandle or MS to fully understand what I am talking about.

I do however have a plan to become a minor despot in the general area of extreme NE Shelby County/extreme SE St. Clair County, Alabama at some point if we ever hit the big meltdown.
    I consider a weekly trip to Dollar General an essential part of mindset training, situational awareness and Zen.

It balances One Life, One Arrow and "Valhalla I am Coming!!!"

Delayed double, wyrd.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWTO View Post
    That’s kind of 10th Planet’s whole brand image, right?
    I don’t know near enough to say whether or not it’s a brand image, but I have rolled with some 10th planet guys who were stoned enough that they had trouble tracking what’s going on in fundamentals class. Which about the only way and old fatty like me is going to put someone that much younger and that much better in side control and keep it. Which has happened. And I am a complete BJJ novice, relatively speaking.

Pro tip: “Boyd Belts” as a concept works for impairment too.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Gorillafritz has got the right attitude, certainly. He would make a fine Hippie Barbarian King. (But he'd have to work on his facial hair.)
    The folks running the event are pros but they know more than anyone how hard it is to get big city "help" out there even under blue skies and light winds.
    Be good to each other and have an open mind, but don't be dumb as that can kill you *and* your friends.

Contrast the 70K person event with the earlier days:

"If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

If anybody in the entire state of Nevada would not only survive but thrive at Burning Man, it would be Greg.

I had a mental image of him seated atop an altar of bleeding skulls, while wreckers tried to drag RV's out of the mud. Jeez, the man not only kicked COVID's ass, but punched cancer in the junk as well. He'll easily outlive me.

Oh yes.

But you need to go after dark. That's when the Dwarves and jugglers come out.

Where was Matt when he was needed to recue all those drugged out hippies?

In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    First rule of surviving Burning Man: don’t go to Burning Man.
    Come on, where is your sense of adventure?

That's my problem, my sense of adventure is the RV cabin at the KOA, or taking the travel trailer up to the mountains...self contained with heat and running water. I also like trees. Camping in the middle of the desert is not my idea of a good time.

It was nice to hear his side of the story, from someone who had actually attended the event.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

I get it, but it doesn't have to be rural. The 24 hour Walmart parking lot is like Burning Man every night. You can go to seminars on car repair, urban camping, how to have sex in a car, MUC, and involuntary BJJ and prison fighting.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Site Supporter
    I, for one, welcome our new Hippy Barbarian King....

I spent most of a 12 hour night shift reading a bunch of BM's website. The amount of planning, logistics, and just plain WORK that it takes to pull this event off boggles the mind. The organizers have got their shit together and good, or the event wouldn't come off in the first place, let alone get BLM approval year after year for this thing.

Totally not my thing, but absolutely fascinating to me how it goes together and operates.

SCA's Pennsic wars are another example of a big, mostly volunteer-driven, event that depends on a lot of people to pay to go and work for free to make the event happen. If I'd have gone when I first heard of it, I might still be going every year. My SCAdian friends who go seem to have a heck of a time.

Quote Originally Posted by Lex Luthier View Post
    Gorillafritz has got the right attitude, certainly. He would make a fine Hippie Barbarian King. (But he'd have to work on his facial hair.)
    The folks running the event are pros but they know more than anyone how hard it is to get big city "help" out there even under blue skies and light winds.
    Be good to each other and have an open mind, but don't be dumb as that can kill you *and* your friends.
    'Nobody ever called the fire department because they did something intelligent'

User Tag List