Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Greg Ellifritz: Surviving Burning Man

Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    Come on, where is your sense of adventure?

That's my problem, my sense of adventure is the RV cabin at the KOA, or taking the travel trailer up to the mountains...self contained with heat and running water. I also like trees. Camping in the middle of the desert is not my idea of a good time.

It was nice to hear his side of the story, from someone who had actually attended the event.
    LOL! But legit question. My sense of adventure takes me to remote off-the-grid cabins in Alaska (where the float plane may or may not come back to pick you up). 4-wheeling in the backcountry to camp and shoot rifles out to a mile. Or to ECQC and EWO.

Smelly hippies with STDs on drugs LARPing an unsustainable utopia? Not the adventure I'm looking for.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    LOL! But legit question. My sense of adventure takes me to remote off-the-grid cabins in Alaska (where the float plane may or may not come back to pick you up). 4-wheeling in the backcountry to camp and shoot rifles out to a mile. Or to ECQC and EWO.

Smelly hippies with STDs on drugs LARPing an unsustainable utopia? Not the adventure I'm looking for.
    To be fair, they aren't all smelly hippies. Not sure on the percentage but I have some friends that go. He's a retired banker with a nice motorhome. My neighbor down the road has gone and again, not a smelly hippie.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    To be fair, they aren't all smelly hippies. Not sure on the percentage but I have some friends that go. He's a retired banker with a nice motorhome. My neighbor down the road has gone and again, not a smelly hippie.
    Our neighbor is a fit single guy in his 70s, and likes to go to Burning Man to have sex with girls half his age. Good on him--I might do the same thing in his position.

Site Supporter
    Our neighbor is a fit single guy in his 70s, and likes to go to Burning Man to have sex with girls half his age. Good on him--I might do the same thing in his position.
    NTTAWWT!

Name:  y0!.gif
Views: 390
Size:  9.9 KB
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Wait-that's a thing?
    Er, asking for a friend.

Student
    That sounds closer to your everyday environment rather than an adventure.

Quote Originally Posted by Yung View Post
    That sounds closer to your everyday environment rather than an adventure.
    You said it bro. I've spent enough time in the Hippie Lands to be sick to death of them.

Quote Originally Posted by feudist View Post
    Wait-that's a thing?
    Er, asking for a friend.
    The catch is, everyone else is having sex with them too.

Way back in the late 90's and early 2000's I considered going. Things were less... structured? Commercialized?... back then. I didn't go, mostly because even then drugs were a big part of it, and that wasn't really my kind of thing.

I believe our own Maple Syrup Actual went a time or two with his lady, and befriended one of the former SF guys who goes regularly.

I know people who go for freaky sex, a lot of people who go for the art, and some who because they believe in it as philosophical/cultural idea.
    "It was the fuck aroundest of times, it was the find outest of times."- 45dotACP

Quote Originally Posted by Joe S View Post
    I believe our own Maple Syrup Actual went a time or two with his lady, and befriended one of the former SF guys who goes regularly.

I know people who go for freaky sex, a lot of people who go for the art, and some who because they believe in it as philosophical/cultural idea.
    My spouse and I are pioneers. (We weren’t together then.)
    It was pretty much all philosophical/cultural with a moderate side of hook-up when there were only 50-100 participants.

The location is otherworldly, and there are few other spots like it in North America.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

User Tag List