Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Greg Ellifritz: Surviving Burning Man

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by fatdog View Post
    A trip to our local, very rural, Dollar General on Saturday is as close to Burning Man as I care to experience at this point.

You would probably have to live in rural LA, AR, AL, FL panhandle or MS to fully understand what I am talking about.

I do however have a plan to become a minor despot in the general area of extreme NE Shelby County/extreme SE St. Clair County, Alabama at some point if we ever hit the big meltdown.
    They built one at the entrance to our neighborhood, it's less than a 1/4 mile from my house...

It is handy for when I want to play "Spot The Scumbag"... It's a Target Rich Environment.... Now if we could just train the neighborhood Black Bears to hang out there instead of everyone's back yard.
    Be Aware-Stay Safe. Gunfighting Is A Thinking Man's Game. So We Might Want To Bring Thinking Back Into It.

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    I get it, but it doesn't have to be rural. The 24 hour Walmart parking lot is like Burning Man every night. You can go to seminars on car repair, urban camping, how to have sex in a car, MUC, and involuntary BJJ and prison fighting.

A Lady said she likes Dollar General because she doesn't have to dress up like when she goes to Walmart.

Shared with all my women friends.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

I'm beginning to fall on the side of Ellifritz does not understand, "Stupid people, stupid places, stupid things."

He manages to consistently get into problems that most people manage to somehow avoid.

Good for him to survive and advance. I guess I just don't read his blog and think, "This is a smart dude I want to actively learn from."

But whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    I'm beginning to fall on the side of Ellifritz does not understand, "Stupid people, stupid places, stupid things."

He manages to consistently get into problems that most people manage to somehow avoid.

Good for him to survive and advance. I guess I just don't read his blog and think, "This is a smart dude I want to actively learn from."

But whatever.
    You can't get clicks, readers, and ad revenue by saying, "I survived another week by watching Netflix at home instead of going to a biker bar."
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

“It worked pretty good if you could shoot.” -Pat Rogers

But whatever.
    I don't know that I would go that far, but would say that he has a different risk tolerance/assessment than average. We all have different ones, his is just a little further away from the median.

Objectively, skydiving is much safer than spending lots of time driving. But I know many people who drive for hours and hours each week who think jumping out of airplanes is certifiably insane.

I've done a lot of things that most people consider dangerous, but it was worth it for me.

Ellifritz also looks like he stays in pretty good shape and lives fairly low stress, and will likely outlast lots of overweight 9-5ers in quiet, safe suburban communities.

I understand your point, though. Some of his travels have raised my eyebrows a bit.
    Hamilton certainly should have been working on his dry fire. - idahojess

Quote Originally Posted by Joe S View Post
    I don't know that I would go that far, but would say that he has a different risk tolerance/assessment than average. We all have different ones, his is just a little further away from the median.

Objectively, skydiving is much safer than spending lots of time driving. But I know many people who drive for hours and hours each week who think jumping out of airplanes is certifiably insane.

I've done a lot of things that most people consider dangerous, but it was worth it for me.

Ellifritz also looks like he stays in pretty good shape and lives fairly low stress, and will likely outlast lots of overweight 9-5ers in quiet, safe suburban communities.

I understand your point, though. Some of his travels have raised my eyebrows a bit.
    As someone who enjoys occasional skydiving and really enjoys rock climbing I agree.

Heart disease or cancer will kill most people over other things.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe S View Post

As someone who enjoys occasional skydiving and really enjoys rock climbing I agree.

Heart disease or cancer will kill most people over other things.

But whatever.
    I'm paraphrasing here, but I recall @Maple Syrup Actual posting somewhere about how all the training he's done isn't about making his life safer than the average person's, but so that the skills he has acquired can balance out the extra risks he takes for a more interesting life, and thus have about the same risk factor as the average person while having much more varied experiences.

I personally think that's a wonderful approach to life.

There's a huge difference between calculated risk and stupid risk. For instance, riding a motorcycle is a big risk, even with full protective gear. But riding an overpowered crotch rocket on a crowded interstate at 95mph while wearing just a tshirt, shorts and flipflops is a stupid risk.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

User Tag List