Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
I'm paraphrasing here, but I recall @Maple Syrup Actual posting somewhere about how all the training he's done isn't about making his life safer than the average person's, but so that the skills he has acquired can balance out the extra risks he takes for a more interesting life, and thus have about the same risk factor as the average person while having much more varied experiences.

I personally think that's a wonderful approach to life.
I agree, this is a good approach, I like it. I quit riding motorcycles years ago because it seemed dangerous after many close calls and having a number of friends killed or seriously hurt riding. Camping out under the stars and hiking and roaming around in grizzly country didnt seem all that risky to me, at least not in the same sense. I guess other peoples assessment of that may balance out different than it has for me. The funny part, since becoming "differently abled", and the time in grizzly country is more problematic, and a little rodeo with leukemia, the perceived danger of riding motorcycles has changed to me. Im going to do it because I like it and enjoy it. End of discussion. Nobodies going to live forever, do the best you can to be safe, but do what you love.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
There's a huge difference between calculated risk and stupid risk. For instance, riding a motorcycle is a big risk, even with full protective gear. But riding an overpowered crotch rocket on a crowded interstate at 95mph while wearing just a tshirt, shorts and flipflops is a stupid risk.
As above, my perception of the risk of riding has changed. I dont wear full gear, nor do I have a super powered bike or ride insane speeds. Im sort of in the 30-30/45 Colt category of motorcycles, enough to be fun and useful, doesnt leave me wishing I had more most of the time. Takes care of business with some old school style.