Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: CZ P01 For Fun

Vending Machine Operator

CZ P01 For Fun

I have one of these coming in this week. Has always been on my "would like to buy" list and I have really enjoyed my CZ-75BD Omega, which paired with 124+P Hornady XTP is absurdly accurate.

I went with the standard, non-Omega version, really just to help me form an opinion about whether I like the original or Omega setup more.

I was not able to find any threads about the P01 more recent than 4-5 years, likely because they lack most of the current hotness (no optics, not a competition gun, heavy for carry, etc.). I wanted to start this thread to see if there were any recommendations on particularly good grips, holster setups, etc. I was also curious about whether the Mec-Gar magazines are worth buying over the stock magazines, as I know I prefer Mec-Gar 18-rounders to standard Beretta magazines.

Intended use of this gun is just a fun cool gun to have. I have no intent to switch from my Glocks and M&Ps for carry/defense, however, I will be vetting it enough to serve in that role if needed. I got a case of Federal HST 124+P due to the shorter 3.75" barrel and will report on how that runs with it.

Any input, anecdotes, advice, etc. to enhance P01 ownership is welcome. I will note, though, that I shot a Cajun Gun Works fully cajunized PCR, and I'm not interested in doing that, the trigger was far too light for a carry/defense gun in my opinion.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

I've owned and carried a P01 for the past 5 years now and it's just a solid gun. Mec Gar 15 rounders fit nice and flush ish and 19 rounders are spare. I have some 17 rd mags for the day when I get an SP01 but I've lost interest in full size handguns for now. I had the CGW kit, non short reset that requires longer firing pin, installed by my gunsmith and he really went the extra mile on it pouring in love. He's also my best friend. The da is 8lb, half cock is 6.5lb and SA is just under 4lbs IIRC. It's very smooth and easy to shoot well. Even if you don't go full CGW parts I would still suggest the short reach trigger, especially if you have sausage fingers as the trigger guard isn't as big as other handguns. You have nice sight options but it is no Glock so aftermarket support isn't huge. I just had mine milled for a Holosun 507k and it's fits nicely. Currently I have either LOK or VZ palm swell grips but I would really like thinner palm swell grips if possible. That's all that I can think of right now, if I remember something else I'll chime back in.

Vending Machine Operator
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremy_[ View Post
    I've owned and carried a P01 for the past 5 years now and it's just a solid gun. Mec Gar 15 rounders fit nice and flush ish and 19 rounders are spare. I have some 17 rd mags for the day when I get an SP01 but I've lost interest in full size handguns for now. I had the CGW kit, non short reset that requires longer firing pin, installed by my gunsmith and he really went the extra mile on it pouring in love. He's also my best friend. The da is 8lb, half cock is 6.5lb and SA is just under 4lbs IIRC. It's very smooth and easy to shoot well. Even if you don't go full CGW parts I would still suggest the short reach trigger, especially if you have sausage fingers as the trigger guard isn't as big as other handguns. You have nice sight options but it is no Glock so aftermarket support isn't huge. I just had mine milled for a Holosun 507k and it's fits nicely. Currently I have either LOK or VZ palm swell grips but I would really like thinner palm swell grips if possible. That's all that I can think of right now, if I remember something else I'll chime back in.
    Thank you much.

I have to plug Greg Cote LLC here, as I have many times before. I just ordered a pair of the 15-round Mec-Gars at 9:48 A.M. and got a shipped confirmation with tracking number at 9:57 A.M. That's insane. That beats Amazon.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Quote Originally Posted by LockedBreech View Post
    Thank you much.

I have to plug Greg Cote LLC here, as I have many times before. I just ordered a pair of the 15-round Mec-Gars at 9:48 A.M. and got a shipped confirmation with tracking number at 9:57 A.M. That's insane. That beats Amazon.
    Exactly, Greg Cote always has the best prices and inventory of Mec Gar mags most especially CZ.

Can't go wrong with a standard P01. Look to LOK Grips as they have pretty much everything you could think of. As for the Mec-Gar mags, I have been buying and running them now for several years and zero issues. The only factory CZ mags I own are P07 & P09mags. For my P01, SP-01 and 75 needs I stick to Mec-Gar and get them from Greg Cote. I would just shoot and get a feel for it before thinking of internal mods. I have a stock SP-01 Tac and a CGW Sp-01 Tac and really enjoy both.

Site Supporter
    I have one of these coming in this week. Has always been on my "would like to buy" list and I have really enjoyed my CZ-75BD Omega, which paired with 124+P Hornady XTP is absurdly accurate.

I went with the standard, non-Omega version, really just to help me form an opinion about whether I like the original or Omega setup more.

I was not able to find any threads about the P01 more recent than 4-5 years, likely because they lack most of the current hotness (no optics, not a competition gun, heavy for carry, etc.). I wanted to start this thread to see if there were any recommendations on particularly good grips, holster setups, etc. I was also curious about whether the Mec-Gar magazines are worth buying over the stock magazines, as I know I prefer Mec-Gar 18-rounders to standard Beretta magazines.

Intended use of this gun is just a fun cool gun to have. I have no intent to switch from my Glocks and M&Ps for carry/defense, however, I will be vetting it enough to serve in that role if needed. I got a case of Federal HST 124+P due to the shorter 3.75" barrel and will report on how that runs with it.

Any input, anecdotes, advice, etc. to enhance P01 ownership is welcome. I will note, though, that I shot a Cajun Gun Works fully cajunized PCR, and I'm not interested in doing that, the trigger was far too light for a carry/defense gun in my opinion.
    Helped a buddy set up a PO-1 compact.

It’s meh in stock form but at a decent set of sites and a trigger kit from Cajun, Apex, or CZ custom, and it becomes much more user-friendly.

Got some P-01 advice in this thread from last Fall on both, but I went P-07

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....prefer-and-why
    Support the Second Amendment Foundation and the Firearms Policy Coalition, join and give!

Site Supporter
    I was also curious about whether the Mec-Gar magazines are worth buying over the stock magazines, as I know I prefer Mec-Gar 18-rounders to standard Beretta magazines.
    It has been a decade or so ago since I last had a P-01 but to the best of recollection, the factory mags were made and marked by Mec-Gar, so they should be good to go. I am sure if someone here has a more recent vintage they will correct. Either way, they are good to go and work great.

I also bought a CZ P-01 just for the fun of owning it. I probably bought it mostly because I like the way it looks. A lot can be said for having guns that look good and have a good trigger to boot

The gun store I visited had several of both the traditional P-01 and the Omega P-01 in stock so I went thru them and bought the one that seemed to have the smoothest trigger, which turned out to be the traditional P-01 with the CZ 75BD type of trigger mechanism. It probably doesn't really make any difference but I think the traditional CZ mechanism looks better to me when field stripped with the slide off of the frame than the Omega. The traditional trigger group looks well thought-out, elegant and integrated while the Omega mechanism looks more like a jumble of parts and springs (Mickey Mouse).

Anyway, I got a JM Custom AIWB (WC 2.5) and the P-01 carries surprisingly well for me, very comfortable and discreet under a cover garment. The CZ P-01 is slightly smaller than a similarly sized G19 and much more sculpted and rounded than some of it's more popular squared off ugly-duckling market competitors, even from the same brand. The P-01 obviously had a lot more thought put into it's appearance and ergonomic shape than a rectangular brick.
    “Safety is nice, but it’s not first. Life is first and it’s not safe.”— Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by UpDok View Post
    ...The traditional trigger group looks well thought-out, elegant and integrated while the Omega mechanism looks more like a jumble of parts and springs...
    Interesting that I have the opposite take on the trigger systems.

User Tag List