Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Glock 23 Shooting Right

Vending Machine Operator
    Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post

In addition to the above great questions: has anyone else shot the gun?
    One of the great humbling moments in my shooting career was about two years ago. I have been shooting for about three decades now, and have become quite proficient with my Glocks and M&Ps. So when I took my new Beretta APX out and was patterning like a shotgun, I assumed something was wrong with the gun.

At the bay next to me, a leathery, seasoned looking older guy was shooting with his preteen-ish kiddo. I said sir, sorry to bother you, if I gave you a box of ammo would you try this gun out? He sized me up, determined I wasn't a creeper, accepted the offer and proceeded to shoot ragged holes with the APX.

I got to know that it's usually not the gun, he got to look like John Wick in front of his kid, it was a good day for all.

The point of my ramble being that even similar guns do have a learning curve, and I've learned that if there's an issue, it's probably me. Not saying that's OP necessarily, but it's definitely the first thing to diagnose.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

A couple of suggestions: 1) Determine the mechanical zero of the G23 by shooting at a target while the gun is fixed in a sandbag or rest, 7-10 yards distance for starters; 2) Determine practical zero by doing the same while shooting two handed unsupported, same distances. 3) Have an experienced friend perform the same zeroing.

If you can isolate that it's the sights and not the shooter(s), then move the rear sight incrementally in the direction you want the POI to be, testing frequently while adjusting. Using a target against a gridded background can be helpful.

Vertical necessary adjustments (POI too low or too high) are best approached by trying different backstraps.

Best, Jon
    Sponsored by Check-Mate Industries and BH Spring Solutions
    Certified Glock Armorer

Did we ever figure out whether the OP is left handed? Since most Glocks shoot left, if this one actually shoots right it could be very valuable to a collector.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Did we ever figure out whether the OP is left handed? Since most Glocks shoot left, if this one actually shoots right it could be very valuable to a collector.
    My finely attuned spidey senses detect a whiff of sarcasm in the air....

Best, Jon
    Sponsored by Check-Mate Industries and BH Spring Solutions
    Certified Glock Armorer

Quote Originally Posted by James D View Post
    I Have a Glock 23 Gen 5 and Have Had to Move the Rear Site Far Right to Be Dead Center on Target with Live Ammo. When Using a Dry Fire Laser Cartridge the Hits are Too the Right.
    If I Adjust the Rear Site to Align the Laser Onto Dead Center then the Live Rounds are Off Center.
    Very Confusing, Appreciate Any Advice.
    Thank You
    Welcome to the forum!

Some of the best shooting coaches in the world can be found here. (I do not claim to have that status.) Please do answer the questions that you have been asked, to help us to help you.

Do check that the front sight is aligned with the true center of the slide. One of my Gen4 G17 slides has a front sight mounting hole that is centered, but is machined so that the front site points itself off to one side. This can be difficult to notice, unless one looks specifically for it.
    Last edited by Rex G; 09-08-2023 at 10:55 AM.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

User Tag List