Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on primer price trends?

Ahhh, cheap-ass pilots!

One of my friends told me of a Labor Day sale at Tacticalshit.com for off-brand primers at $49 per 1000 delivered including hazmat. That is the cheapest I’ve heard of.

I think it is worth mentioning that premium brand primers make more of a difference in match ammo and less so for blasting ammo (blammo). I feel comfortable shooting off brand Ginex/Fiocci/whatever for 9mm blammo. Same with 223 that I load for carbine classes. But for my bolt gun ammo, I will pay the premium for CCI450s, Fed 205Ms or Fed 210Ms.

Gyro, I have a hunch that primers will restabilize between 5 and 6 cents per primer. I consulted my magic 8-ball for this data.
    "Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master"

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    I think right now I will be buying at ~$65 if they are on a shelf without HazMat, when I get back down to around 5k I will probably plan to order 5k, maybe even 10k.

Yeah, maybe I will buy more sooner rather than later...
    Sounds like you and I have settled on about the same “buy” threshold.
    I wasn’t clear from your earlier post - can you actually buy primers on the shelf for that price where you live?
    The best I can do is $85 before taxes.

Site Supporter
    Tacticalshit.com - ha, I wasn’t sure that was a real place, and was a little afraid it was like whitehouse.com.

I’m with you on 1.) being a cheap pilot, and 2.) being content to use off-brand for non-critical uses. Heck, I’ve been using GINEX for practice and IDPA for 7,000 rds so far, and MIGHT have had one dud. They’re a little harder to seat in some brass, but it was the only stuff available for under $.10/per when I needed to buy last year. I’d buy it again if I needed to.

Okay- your prediction and data source is noted for the record.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    Ahhh, cheap-ass pilots!

One of my friends told me of a Labor Day sale at Tacticalshit.com for off-brand primers at $49 per 1000 delivered including hazmat. That is the cheapest I’ve heard of.

I think it is worth mentioning that premium brand primers make more of a difference in match ammo and less so for blasting ammo (blammo). I feel comfortable shooting off brand Ginex/Fiocci/whatever for 9mm blammo. Same with 223 that I load for carbine classes. But for my bolt gun ammo, I will pay the premium for CCI450s, Fed 205Ms or Fed 210Ms.

Gyro, I have a hunch that primers will restabilize between 5 and 6 cents per primer. I consulted my magic 8-ball for this data.

Quote Originally Posted by GyroF-16 View Post
    I wasn’t clear from your earlier post - can you actually buy primers on the shelf for that price where you live?
    If the stars are aligned.
    Vance had Winchester for $69 (limit two per day per person) and AIM had CCI for $65, showroom only, not sure about limits. Not sure about others, but do know of those two occations.

I'm waiting until they go below $50/k, and they are headed there fast. Unless the Ukraine war affects supply, I don't see why the market won't freefall down to where things were pre-pandemic
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

All this doom and gloom about components is just that, doom and gloom. I just bought a flat of 12 ga target loads for 100 bucks. The best price I can remember was 85.

A few months ago you couldn't find 209 primers anywhere. Now they're 6 cents.

SP primers will be 5 cents soon enough. Not so sure about SR but the worm has turned. Pandemic is over. It's just a flu virus now.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    Unless the Ukraine war affects supply, I don't see why the market won't freefall down to where things were pre-pandemic
    Inflation adjusted maybe, but ~18% cumulative inflation during that time means that something that cost $50 in 2020 will be almost $60 in 2023.

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    ^^^^In normal times and with other commodities, I'd agree with you. But primer (and ammo) availability will probably be affected by what looks to me to be the probable Democratic presidential victory next year, and I'm afraid whatever is available with be panic-bought regardless of the price. Shoot, where I live, when Biden won in '20 all the toilet paper disappeared again.

One never wants to wait until an election year to buy ammo or components. I bought 20 lbs of powder and 15K primers in Jan. 2019 before COVID hit. I was thinking 2020 election and a good time to stock up. Fortunately I beat the pandemic by a few months and the election by a year. Rifle powder was becoming scarce even then.

I'd say this winter would be a great time to buy what you need for a few years. GOP won't win. I think we all know that.
    Last edited by Borderland; 09-06-2023 at 09:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CleverNickname View Post
    Inflation adjusted maybe, but ~18% cumulative inflation during that time means that something that cost $50 in 2020 will be almost $60 in 2023.
    Well, inflation is across the board. It affects everything. I'll never buy a head of lettuce for buck again unless Biden reintroduces the Bracero program.

Graf’s has free shipping and Hazmat for purchases over $150. Some of the primers are $375 per 5000.

https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog...dium=HTMLEmail
    "Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master"

User Tag List