Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: No winners gun fights

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitlock View Post
    I would add a caveat that the time and fortune spent winning the legal fight is subtracted from the "total win" category. It is, however, acceptable when the alternative is death or serious bodily injury.
    I should have said, "wins legally by a decision not to prosecute, whether from a grand jury or the state attorney." As you point out, if there is prosecution, there are multiple ways to lose.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Useful thread.

As I get older, I realize more and more the benefits of the "just walk away" concept.
    There's a current case here that I expect to result in a murder charge. The initial cause may have been some road rage, followed by an in person argument. Shooter got punched, but according to the witness the puncher was walking away when the shooter paused, then drew his gun, and lit the puncher up.

As a friend says: your ego is not your amigo.
    Last edited by Hambo; 09-04-2023 at 10:32 AM.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

"You can be absolutely magnificent in a gunfight and still die." -- Clint Smith
    In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function. We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful.” ― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    There's only one total win in the list of good guy outcomes: good guy wins gunfight, wins legal fight, and is uninjured. The rest of the possibles have one or more sucky outcomes for the good guy.
    Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    As I get older, I realize more and more the benefits of the "just walk away" concept.
    /
    I'd also really like to avoid a gunfight, if at all possible. I've never been in one, but it sounds like it sucks.
    I've not been in one either, nor do I care to. Even the most cut-and-dry self defense seems like it can still be a huge pain in the ass because some lawyer will see $ signs and take the case because you could've just shot him in the leg (but not an artery, obviously).

I tell these young kids at work you gotta be like Batman. Plan for every possible scenario. And sometimes the best outcome for you is doing nothing, even if it's for some perceived slight on your honor. One of my favorite songs is Bobby Bare's The Winner:
    And if there's somethin' that you gotta gain to prove by winnin' some silly fight -
    Well okay, I quit, I lose you're the winner

Quote Originally Posted by NETim View Post
    "You can be absolutely magnificent in a gunfight and still die." -- Clint Smith
    AKA. You can do everything correctly however sometimes the bad guy gets lucky.

Don't go stupid places at stupid times and do stupid things. That tends to prevent 90+% of the bad situations one could find themselves involved in.

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    There's only one total win in the list of good guy outcomes: good guy wins gunfight, wins legal fight, and is uninjured. The rest of the possibles have one or more sucky outcomes for the good guy.
    Even then your so much worse off vs being able to avoid the conflict.

I think Mas says something like there is no good outcome with firing your gun in defensive use of force, just possibly less bad ones.

This may be one of the most important threads to be posted in a long time. (Imho.)
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Leading causes of losing a non-ambush gun fight (meaning there was some interaction between the participants prior to shots being fire) remain:
    *not in ranked order*
    1) presenting a non-functioning firearm
    This is my fear of carrying with a MS.

As the saying goes, "Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth" and I am simply not confident that I would be able to present a functional firearm, safety off, considering the highly variable nature of dangerous encounters.

This is a personal decision and am not advocating this position universally.

Quote Originally Posted by parishioner View Post
    This is my fear of carrying with a MS.

As the saying goes, "Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth" and I am simply not confident that I would be able to present a functional firearm, safety off, considering the highly variable nature of dangerous encounters.

This is a personal decision and am not advocating this position universally.
    That's why I never carry away from home with a gun with a manual safety.
    Fifty years ago I was more naive about it. Forty years of MA and 20 years of FOF training have informed me about better choices.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post

Open carry remains a magnet for shit birds wanting a free gun. They aren't afraid of you or your gun.
    Not according to the derpy open-carry advocates! Why, a holstered XD in a floppy Uncle Mike's sausage sack keeps the baddies at bay! Are you saying that the Internet is incorrect?

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Reese View Post
    Not according to the derpy open-carry advocates! Why, a holstered XD in a floppy Uncle Mike's sausage sack keeps the baddies at bay! Are you saying that the Internet is incorrect?
    "Mah situational awareness will keep me safe from gun snatchers!"
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

User Tag List