Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: No winners gun fights

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar

No winners gun fights

Not sure who needs to hear this, but this week I've had two no winners gun fights were both participants ended up dead from their injuries. Down isn't out and a mobility kill degrades fighting ability but doesn't zero it out. Proper use of cover still matters.

Grappling remains problematic for good guys winning gun fights.

Open carry remains a magnet for shit birds wanting a free gun. They aren't afraid of you or your gun.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Not sure who needs to hear this, but this week I've had two no winners gun fights were both participants ended up dead from their injuries. Down isn't out and a mobility kill degrades fighting ability but doesn't zero it out. Proper use of cover still matters.

Grappling remains problematic for good guys winning gun fights.

Is that in relation to open carry and fighting over the gun? Or is it a close encounter which turns physical with a gun? If you can answer. Or know. Thank you.

Open carry remains a magnet for shit birds wanting a free gun. They aren't afraid of you or your gun.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric_L View Post
    Is that in relation to open carry and fighting over the gun? Or is it a close encounter which turns physical with a gun?
    In general terms, I've had both.

Leading causes of losing a non-ambush gun fight (meaning there was some interaction between the participants prior to shots being fire) remain:
    *not in ranked order*
    1) presenting a non-functioning firearm
    2) getting entangled
    3) being outnumbered by offenders dedicated enough to remain in the fight
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Probably no way to know

I wonder how many events where a “good guy” engaged could have been avoided with reasonable effort? Meaning, maybe not walking down that (I am armed) street or keeping your mouth shut or reasonable situational awareness.

I’m hoping no one needs to hear this but there most likely are some who still do. Getting into any type of fight carries a non-zero risk of dying or getting seriously injured. That risk increases when people start deploying weapons. If you stop the other guy but have to live out the rest of your life as a quadriplegic or a vegetable, did you really win?
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by WobblyPossum View Post
    I’m hoping no one needs to hear this but there most likely are some who still do. Getting into any type of fight carries a non-zero risk of dying or getting seriously injured. That risk increases when people start deploying weapons. If you stop the other guy but have to live out the rest of your life as a quadriplegic or a vegetable, did you really win?
    By God, sit, the left lane is mine!
    You cur!

I know three people who “won” gunfights, but still sucked up a handgun round in a non-body armored area. Two of them were left with life long disabilities that prompted a career change and seriously altered the course of their lives.

When five years post-incident you sell your guitar collection because you finally come to terms with the fact there is no more physical therapy that will help, it is no comfort that the guy who shot you in the hand with a .22 is dead.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

There's only one total win in the list of good guy outcomes: good guy wins gunfight, wins legal fight, and is uninjured. The rest of the possibles have one or more sucky outcomes for the good guy.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Useful thread.

As I get older, I realize more and more the benefits of the "just walk away" concept. As in, when I get pissed off by the general stupidity of the human race, and my lizard brains starts to contemplate some kind of "action", would I really just rather walk away. Generally the answer is yes. This was not always the case when I was a young man.

I'd also really like to avoid a gunfight, if at all possible. I've never been in one, but it sounds like it sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    There's only one total win in the list of good guy outcomes: good guy wins gunfight, wins legal fight, and is uninjured. The rest of the possibles have one or more sucky outcomes for the good guy.
    I would add a caveat that the time and fortune spent winning the legal fight is subtracted from the "total win" category. It is, however, acceptable when the alternative is death or serious bodily injury.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

User Tag List